The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

14 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

What do they say about Survivor Series 87? 

I know you made a typo and mean 97 but a magazine covering older events and the stories behind the matches etc like the concept of the Survivor Series would be interesting. Dave Meltzers Observer issues and Wrestling with Shadows essentially tell the complete Montreal Screwjob story. As for the Wrestle talk TV show if it was more in the line of Pro Wrestling this week and reviewed the weekly matches etc then and made it a MOTD type format where they review say that months WWE PPV and made it accessible to casual fans it could have been alright. The best episodes were the ones hosted by Raven and Jim Cornette. The Trial of Russo was just terrible. Had it been Corny doing the "trial" it could have been good but instead it came across as them again talking about stuff over a decade out of date. 

Edited by Really Big Shoe

6 minutes ago, FailedPromoter said:

Nah, it was deliberate since the mag itself has Survivor Series '87 on the cover. Beautiful start if that's a mistake by them. 

Yep it does I was viewing it on a phone so had to zoom in to see the cover. My point was if they reviewed old events from a more insider perspective it would actually might be worth reading. Back to the magazine, a PDF version of the mag they can fix but on a print run it would be quite costly to fix. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

IMDB gave wrestletalk a rating of 6.7, that's only 0.1 less than Kong: Skull Island, and that had Samuel L Jackson. Now I'm not saying Alex Shane is only 0.1 worse than Samuel L Jackson, he might however.

Samuel L Jackson is obviously not as good a promo as Alex Shane but his work rate is better and he does a really good flip bump. 

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, FailedPromoter said:

Nah, it was deliberate since the mag itself has Survivor Series '87 on the cover. Beautiful start if that's a mistake by them. 

It's 30 years since the original Survivor Series so a good time for a retrospective. Sheepy was just being "funny" :D.

I wasn't trying to be funny, even I know outside of "Bumgull" or attaching a relevant Simpsons reference to something I'm mildly amusing on occasion at best. I Just got a wire crossed as all I saw was people mentioning Montreal and then saw that it said Survivor Series 87 so figured the article was about SS87 but the cover said SS87 so thought it was a misprint on the magazine

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I have the first issue in my hands and it is just a revival of powerslam, fans of that magazine will rejoice. Same layout, same photographers and same in the news section at the beginning. But the addition of another 2 pages to cover so many promotions that would of only got a minor mention in the "Elsewhere" section in years past.

Once i saw James Dixon was involved, I decided to buy this one as I really like his stuff. Wish he would continue with his Raw Files etc. But oh well.

Major points

- The pages have that same fresh paper print smell as powerslam when it used to arrive each month

- It is 1987 Survivor Series that they revisit.

- Alex Shane talks about Fwa British Uprising. You even get to watch it if you so desire.

- Fin still hates Cena.

Edited by Edgehead

Also being a bit of a dinosaur and a collector (I have complete runs of PWI, The Wrestler, Inside Wrestling, WWF magazine from 1989 onwards) I was considering picking this up - but it's £6.50 with the P&P which is crazy when I don't pay nearly that for other magazines from the newsagent and are over twice the size. I know it's a niche product, smaller run etc. but it still seems alot to spend out.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Edgehead said:

I have the first issue in my hands and it is just a revival of powerslam, fans of that magazine will rejoice. Same layout, same photographers and same in the news section at the beginning. But the addition of another 2 pages to cover so many promotions that would of only got a minor mention in the "Elsewhere" section in years past.

Once i saw James Dixon was involved, I decided to buy this one as I really like his stuff. Wish he would continue with his Raw Files etc. But oh well.

Major points

- The pages have that same fresh paper print smell as powerslam when it used to arrive each month

- It is 1987 Survivor Series that they revisit.

- Alex Shane talks about Fwa British Uprising. You even get to watch it if you so desire.

- Fin still hates Cena.

I was a big fan of Powerslam and Fin Martin's writing (I know that's not a view shared by most).  I also really like the stuff I have read from James Dixon (the 1PW book and the What Culture magazine).  However, I detest the written work of Alex Shane, and have no time either for anything associated with the Wrestletalk people like Ollie Jones and Dave Bradshaw.

My question is, how much of the magazine is written by Martin/Dixon, and how much is written by the Wrestletalk muppets?  

I'll be very tempted with a subscription if the content ratio is favourable to Martin/Dixon.