The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members
For The Natural in regards to Strike Force recommendations, I'd throw in the Fedor/Rogers card from July 2009 and Los Angeles from June 2010. From the former both Bigfoot/Werdum and Fedor/Rogers are good fights, though you have a lackluster Shields/Mayhem fight to endure too, whilst with the latter there is a great KJ Noons/Heun opener and the main of Babalu/Lawler is a good stand up fight.

Forgot that show. You also have a wild short fight between Mr Cyborg and Marius Zaromskis.

Clay Guida vs Gilbert Melendez Strikeforce 'Revenge' 06.09.06

Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le Strikeforce/EliteXC 'Shamrock vs Cung Le' 03.29.08

Scott Smith vs Terry Martin Strikeforce 'Destruction' 11.21.08 (purely for the KO!)

Sarah Kaufman vs Miesha Tate Strikeforce Challengers 'Evangelista vs Aina' 05.15.09

Gina Carano vs Cris Cyborg Strikeforce 'Carano vs Cyborg' 08.15.09

Jorge Gurgel vs Conor Heun Strikeforce Challengers 'Villasenor vs Cyborg' 09.16.09

Thomas Longacre vs Travis Calanoc Strikeforce Challengers 'Kennedy vs Cummings' 09.25.09

Brandon Cash vs Shane Del Rosario Strikeforce Challengers 'Evangelista vs Gurgel' 11.06.09

Billy Evnagelista vs Jorge Gurgel Strikeforce Challengers 'Evangelista vs Gurgel' 11.06.09

I've never seen the unbolded ones of that lot as far as I recall. Agreed on all the ones I bolded though. Never seen the whole Smith/Martin fight. I'll have to give it a look.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clay Guida vs Gilbert Melendez Strikeforce 'Revenge' 06.09.06

Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le Strikeforce/EliteXC 'Shamrock vs Cung Le' 03.29.08

Scott Smith vs Terry Martin Strikeforce 'Destruction' 11.21.08 (purely for the KO!)

Sarah Kaufman vs Miesha Tate Strikeforce Challengers 'Evangelista vs Aina' 05.15.09

Gina Carano vs Cris Cyborg Strikeforce 'Carano vs Cyborg' 08.15.09

Jorge Gurgel vs Conor Heun Strikeforce Challengers 'Villasenor vs Cyborg' 09.16.09

Thomas Longacre vs Travis Calanoc Strikeforce Challengers 'Kennedy vs Cummings' 09.25.09

Brandon Cash vs Shane Del Rosario Strikeforce Challengers 'Evangelista vs Gurgel' 11.06.09

Billy Evnagelista vs Jorge Gurgel Strikeforce Challengers 'Evangelista vs Gurgel' 11.06.09

I've never seen the unbolded ones of that lot as far as I recall. Agreed on all the ones I bolded though. Never seen the whole Smith/Martin fight. I'll have to give it a look.

It only goes 24 seconds so isn't going to take up too much of your time! Just had a quick look for it on youtube, but can only find the actual KO, although that is all the fight is about to be honest.

Sarah Kaufman used to be real good value on the early cards as I remember enjoying the Shayna Baszler fight too. For some reason it all just went to pot when she faught Takayo Hashi, which was nothing more than an unexciting five round kickboxing exhibition.

• Paid Members
Sarah Kaufman used to be real good value on the early cards as I remember enjoying the Shayna Baszler fight too. For some reason it all just went to pot when she faught Takayo Hashi, which was nothing more than an unexciting five round kickboxing exhibition.

Have you seen her fight with Alexis Davis from the Tate-Rousey undercard, Magnum? Well worth a look if you haven't. It got overshadowed by the main event but it was an excellent fight in it's own right.

Have you seen her fight with Alexis Davis from the Tate-Rousey undercard, Magnum? Well worth a look if you haven't. It got overshadowed by the main event but it was an excellent fight in it's own right.

I've got a copy of it, just not got round to watching it yet. I remember they cut to Sarah after the main event and you could tell from her face she'd been in a war. I've also got a copy of the Gina Carano/Elaina Maxwell fight which supposedly stole the show at the Triple Threat card to watch. Maybe I'll get them both viewed over this weekend at some point.

I set my alarm to wake up early for this last Strikeforce show, then I remembered their shows tend to start a little later than UFCs. Dammit. :angry:

There's a little intrigue in this card, even though it's a shell of its original form and full of one sided fights, any potential upsets have huge ramifications. If Saffadeine beats Marquardt, or Staring beats Cormier, that's going to seriously fuck some things up.

*SPOILERS*

Well, that sucked, every last bit of it. The only halfway decent fight was marred by a BS decision (Couture/Noons). Nate looked like he was asleep, Cormier took way longer than necessary, and Barnett's promo was average.

Screw this, I'm going to go watch my UFC Ultimate Fight Collection. I see some MMA purists deride people for being "UFC fans" rather than "MMA fans", well here was a shining example as to why those fans only pay attention to UFC. Horrible show.

• Paid Members

I thought it was an average show, with the fights I was most interested in going as expected, but those last few minutes with the announcers saying goodbye summed up everything I've always hated about Strikeforce; their production is so fucking amateur that it's almost impossible to relax and enjoy the show.

Frank Shamrock looking at the wrong camera like a mong and the lead announcer tripping up over his words in some type of tribute to Mauro Ranallo, it was a fitting way for Strikeforce to go out. They delivered some great fights over the years, going through up and downs in terms of keeping my interest, but the one constant throughout has been the terrible production and bush league commentary. I'm delighted that all of these fighters can now compete on a slick, smooth show, that I can watch without nearly turning inside out in embarrassment as commentators constantly stumble and make tits out of themselves.

Hopefully we see Barnett get a chance in the UFC. I'm not particularly arsed if we see Marquardt though. Also, the length of time it took Cormier to finish definitely took the shine off him somewhat. That's pretty much the only thoughts I have. Dull show in that sense, I guess.

• Paid Members

It was a decent show. It was alright. I really wanted them to go out on something better than decent though, but there's a lot of positives to take from this show going forward.

Jacare looked phenomenal. He's been steadily becoming a really well rounded fighter for ages and more than just a great grappler. But he showed last night why his grappling is so highly regarded. Ed Herman's a good, tough, experienced fighter and Jacare ran through him. Can't wait to finally see him in the UFC.

Mousasi looked very good. Showed improvements in his ground game and looked motivated. Again, another guy I'm looking forward to in the UFC.

Cormier took a while but to be fair, Staring has never been legit TKO'd before. Looking up his record his only previous TKO losses were doctor stoppages. Might just be one of those tough journeymen types. I think Cormier might have been babying his hand as well after the previous breaks. He could have looked better but he was more measured and got the result.

Saffiedine shocked me.

Archived