The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:angry: it has seriously got to the point where fight announcements dont even excite me anymore.

It's all to do with the fighters insurance now, which means they still get paid even if they don't fight, years ago this wouldn't have happened, as they need to fight to be paid. It's crazy, it's happening at least every other card, must be destroying UFC internally

• Paid Members

Yeah that's defo a big part of it. The insurance is great for the fighters but this is a side effect which can't really be avoided. And because there's so many shows now it stands out more. Obviously the more shows = the more pullouts.

As for Cormier and new opponents, I also like the idea of Arlovski. He's a big name still in MMA and he's (kind of) back on track on a 3 fight unbeaten streak with 2 TKOs. And to be honest the Sylvia fight was a moral victory in a lot of ways. He can still go despite his punch resistance being crap.

I think he's more likely to get the call than Sylvia would be. Dana's never had a problem with Arlovski from what I can tell. Even at the end of his last UFC run he was saying they'd have liked to keep him around if possible but they couldn't come to terms. I think Andrei might have been wanting to box as well around that time which might have been an obstacle.

Cormier vs Arlovski for me. No-one else really jumps out as an obvious choice.

• Paid Members
:angry: it has seriously got to the point where fight announcements dont even excite me anymore.

It's all to do with the fighters insurance now, which means they still get paid even if they don't fight, years ago this wouldn't have happened, as they need to fight to be paid. It's crazy, it's happening at least every other card, must be destroying UFC internally

Not exactly true. That statement makes it sound like they get their fight purse regardless of if they fight or not, which isn't the case. All the insurance covers is the medical expense of their injuries, in contrast to before when only injuries that occurred during a fight were covered. So, whereas before guys would fight injured, then lie and say they got injured during the fight in order to get their expenses covered, they don't need to do that anymore, with their expenses covered regardless. They don't get the same money they'd get if they fought though. Not even close. If you don't fight, you don't get any purse at all. Only your medical expenses covered.

Not exactly true. That statement makes it sound like they get their fight purse regardless of if they fight or not, which isn't the case. All the insurance covers is the medical expense of their injuries, in contrast to before when only injuries that occurred during a fight were covered. So, whereas before guys would fight injured, then lie and say they got injured during the fight in order to get their expenses covered, they don't need to do that anymore, with their expenses covered regardless. They don't get the same money they'd get if they fought though. Not even close. If you don't fight, you don't get any purse at all. Only your medical expenses covered.

Right, should have constructed what I meant differently, the insurance negates the need to fight hurt, as they still get the compensation regardless of where they got hurt. As opposed to needing to fight to claim in was injured at an event.

• Paid Members

Dana tacked that subject in an interview not long ago, he predictably said it was nothing to do with the insurance policy and basically stated that it's just a seriously harash case of bad luck.

It sucks whatever it is.

• Paid Members
Just to add to the speculation, but Roy Nelson has thrown his name into the hat now, too. http://blogs.thescore.com/mma/2012/

Also, What's Mark Hunt upto? ;)

Forgot Hunt. I'd rather Cormier vs Werdum though. A win for either there puts them right in the title hunt whereas Hunt is probably a couple of steps back.

I want Hunt vs the Struve/Miocic winner. Or Lavar Johnson if he beats Schaub.

It won't be Nelson. No way they break up the Nelson vs Carwin fight and have yet another TUF where the coaches don't fight. After Cruz/Faber and Vitor/Wandy falling through earlier this year, they'll want the coaches happening this time.

Cormier vs Werdum just makes sense as well. They're in about the same spot in the division currently.

• Paid Members

Roy's actually said he'd still want to fight Carwin too, even if he gets to fight Cormier. I agree with you though, it's not a great idea. He could get injured and the Carwin fight would be in jeopardy.

Got to love Roy though.

Archived