The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

Have a look for these Miesha Tate fights Natural;

vs Elaina Maxwell (Strikeforce: Melendez vs Thomson) (June 2008)

vs Sarah Kaufman (Strikeforce Challengers: Evangelista vs Aina) (May 2009)

vs Zoila Frausto (Strikeforce Challengers: Johnson vs Mahe) (March 2010)

vs Hitomi Akano (Strikeforce Challengers: Riggs vs Taylor) (August 2010) (To crown 1st Women's 135lb champion)

vs Marloes Coenen (Strikeforce: Fedor vs Henderson) (July 2011)

The Maxwell fight was early in Tate's career but it was a good competitive fight. The Kaufman fight was her first real step up and a nice back and forth fight. Zoila was a good little striker vs grappler match and Akano was the title win and also pretty enjoyable as I recall.

The Coenen fight is what really first convinced me on Tate though, defo watch that.

None of them fights are as good as the Rousey or Kedzie fights so don't go in expecting too much, but some good stuff there.

Thanks for the help wandshogun09.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah Gina had some good fights. Carano vs Kedzie was a really good fight from what I remember of it.

The Rousey vs Kaufman did well on Showtime as well. MMAJunkie are reporting that with the Sunday replays they probably did 900,000 in all. It's done the best rating for Strikeforce so far this year and is top 5 of Strikeforce's shows for 2011/12.

1. "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva" (February 2011): 741,000 viewers

2. "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum" (June 2011): 624,000

3. "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson" (July 2011): 571,000

4. "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg" (January 2011): 561,000

5. "Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman" (August 2012): 529,000

6. "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley" (April 2011): 528,000

7. "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey" (March 2012): 472,000

8. "Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final" (May 2012): 463,000

9. "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal" (December 2011): 460,000

10. "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy" (July 2012): 420,000

11. "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson" (March 2011): 412,000

12. "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine" (January 2012): 344,000

13. "Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov" (September 2011): 274,000

• Paid Members

The Melendez vs Healy card is shaping up

SF4_600X400_JPG_large.jpg

Gilbert Melendez vs. Pat Healy (Lightweight Title)

Guto Inocente vs. Gian Villante

Adriano Martins vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg

Caros Fodor vs. Josh Thomson

Quinn Mulhern vs. Jorge Santiago

Mike Kyle vs. Dion Staring

Not massive on names (Strikeforce don't have many now so what do you expect? :D ) but I like the look of this card. Melendez vs Healy could be a great fight. Fodor/Thomson should be fun and Kyle and Santiago usually deliver as well.

The one that stands out to me though on this card is Inocente vs Villante. I've thoroughly enjoyed both guys' fights so far from what I've seen. If you don't know them guys then I'd recommend watching these;

Gian Villante vs Chad Griggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo7aTciCqRE

Gian Villante vs Trevor Smith

Guto Inocente vs Virgil Zwicker

http://fightnext.com/video/8NUMB3X6O8K9/Gu...nett-vs-Cormier

Should be some fireworks in that one.

• Paid Members

yeh liking that card, got a few new names on there too which is nice to see Strikeforce are very slowly expaning...happy to se Jorge Santiago in there too. I'm guessing the top 5 fights there will be the main card.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how the word "Strikeforce" isn't actually on the poster. Guess they want to keep the Mir brand as distant as possible from Zuffa's red headed stepchild. :p

Should still be an interesting fight. I see Cormier dominating though. He's a great wrestler with heavy hands, exactly the type of fighter that Mir has trouble with (Lesnar, Carwin). It's not like Mir has improved at all since those big losses so it looks like Joe Silva and Dana White have giftwrapped Cormier a name win to enter the UFC on.

I love how the word "Strikeforce" isn't actually on the poster. Guess they want to keep the Mir brand as distant as possible from Zuffa's red headed stepchild. :p

The UFC did the same thing with WEC's first PPV, WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber in April 2010.

Sara McMann's first Strikeforce fight will be against Liz Carmouche on the Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir show taking place on the 3rd of November.

• Paid Members

wee bit baffled at the decision to grant Lorenz Larkin the next crack at Luke Rockhold. Coker makes out that he made his decision based on their last performances, fair play Larkin schooled Robbie Lawler but could Jacare have done much more outside of KO Derek Brunson in 41 seconds?

I aint moaning at the actual fight cause i like the sound of Larkin/Jacare but Coker's talking out of his arse aint he?

The general consensus I read online today after learning about this fight is yes, Coker is talking bollocks.

King Mo had little problem with Larkin at 205lbs, Rockhold may be knocking on the door of top 5 in the stacked 185lbs class, so I see a comfy win for Rockhold. It should be Jacare he faces though.

• Paid Members
King Mo had little problem with Larkin at 205lbs, Rockhold may be knocking on the door of top 5 in the stacked 185lbs class, so I see a comfy win for Rockhold. It should be Jacare he faces though.

You're right but Larkin was a chubby fucker at 205. He should have been a middleweight all along. I don't know if you've seen the Larkin vs Lawler fight yet but he looked much better in that one to me than he has in any of his other fights so far. Especially when you take into account who he was in there with.

He looked better physically, very explosive, fast. No signs of the weight cut effecting him. It's the perfect weight class for Larkin and I really hope he smashes Rockhold. I'm basing my dislike of Rockhold on nothing other than he just looks like such a knob to me. He's such a cheesy twat, whenever the camera cuts to him in the crowd at events he's always sitting there with a "I'm well in love with myself me" expression about him. Love to see Larkin kick his twat in. Rockhold will probably win though, he's more well rounded.

I agree though, Coker's chatting shit. Jacare deserved the shot. I actually had Jacare beating Rockhold in their last fight and he's won two fights since then one by submission and the other a 41 second KO. As much of a fan of Larkin as I am, he got battered by Mo and then one win at 185 and he gets a title shot? No. I know Strikeforce don't have a deep talent pool but Jacare deserved his shot more than anyone easily. It's not up for debate.

Hopefully Larkin beats Cockhold and sets up a fight with Jacare. Larkin vs Jacare could be a hell of a fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived