The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

Anyone suprised that they stuck Tate on the prelims? Seems a bit harsh and counter-productive to stick her down there. They should be trying to build off her fight with Rousey and keep her name out there, rather than take away some of her steam.

I didn't even realise she was on the prelims until you posted that. Yeah, seems a bit odd. I'd have put Tate/Kedzie on the main card over either the OSP or Sayers fights personally. Still, at least they're still getting televised on Showtime Extreme.

Anyone know what UK time the Extreme prelims start tomorrow night?

I'm shocked they moved the prelims, no offence to the rest of the talent on the strikeforce roster. BUT the women are the biggest talking point in Strikeforce at the minute, well one particular lady.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Main Event:

135 lbs.: Ronda Rousey (135) vs. Sarah Kaufman (135)

Main Card (Showtime):

185 lbs.: Ronaldo Souza (186) vs. Derek Brunson (186)

170 lbs.: Roger Bowling (170) vs. Tarec Saffiedine (169.5)

185 lbs.: Lumumba Sayers (185) vs. Anthony Smith (186)

205 lbs.: T.J. Cook (203) vs. Ovince St. Preux (205.5)

Preliminary Card (Showtime Extreme):

135 lbs.: Julie Kedzie (135) vs. Miesha Tate (136)

155 lbs.: Bobby Green (155) vs. Matt Ricehouse (155)

185 lbs.: Adlan Amagov (186) vs. Keith Berry (186)

135 lbs.: Germaine de Randamie (144) vs. Hiroko Yamanaka (145)

• Paid Members

This should be good. They're both too aggressive for it to be shit and I doubt its going 5 rounds either way.

Ronda doesn't fuck about, she'll be trying to rip arms off from the opening bell. And Kaufman is pissed off that everyone's looking past her (they are) and not giving her a chance (they're not). So she's mega fired up for this.

If Kaufman can keep it a striking match, avoid clinching with Rousey AT ALL COSTS, then she takes away her main weapon and I give her the advantage on the feet. We really don't know about Ronda's chin yet either, she might have a great chin or an Arlovski (minus beard obvs). I think Kaufman can test it better than anyone Ronda's fought yet.

Really though, I don't see Kaufman being able to fend off the Rousey Judo assault. Ronda chucks men about on a daily basis and has been since a very young age. I think Kaufman will give her her toughest fight yet but Ronda will catch a throw at some point and slap on a sub.

Rousey Armbar Round 2 for me.

• Paid Members

i think the key thing for Kaufman is to take her time and try to drag this thing out. Meisha Tate made the big mistake of fighting emotinally, she got in there and tried to tear Ronda's head off which was a massive mistake. Rousey's clearly a beast but she probably doesn't know what it feels like to get beaten up. Kaufman's gotta try and put her gloves on Rousey's face and make her feel uncomfotable.

• Paid Members

Trying to take Ronda into the later rounds is probably a smart tactic.

Actually, I read an interesting article yesterday which had an interview with Mike Dolce. He was saying about Ronda's one meal a day diet not being the best for her and that although she's looked great so far, it will catch up to her eventually.

Cardio is another question mark with Ronda. Judo is a tough sport and you have to be in great shape but the matches are fairly short and it's very stop-start. MMA is 5 minutes non stop 5 times. It's a different way of training for Judo and MMA.

In Judo you really don't see the competitors pace themselves too much, they're aggressive right away because they need to score with throws and trips. You can see a bit of that with Ronda, she's still got that Judo mindset where she's on full blast from the off. If someone can weather that initial blitz there's surely no way Ronda could keep that pace for 5 rounds.

The way to beat Rouset is to keep your distance and pepper her with shots, just stick and move. Once she gets into clinching range it's pretty much going to be over for most people because of how ferocious she is on the ground. That's why I want to see Rousey/Cybog, but I do think Cyborg should get a win or 2 before they fight. It's not good having someone who has come back from being busted for PEDs going straight into a title fight. As for Women's MMA I think I could only actually name about 6 or so female MMA fighters off the top of my head and one of them is Gina Carano who is off making films now. They definitely need to try and prmote the women fighters a bit more to the point where your average MMA fan could name at least a dozen or so because then you really have a division that could draw in punters into watching.

• Paid Members

yeh, Rey that's what i was alerting too. Kaufman needs to stay on her toes and keep that jab in Ronda's face. Problem is Kafman has a bit of a reach disadvantage so it's gonna make it difficult but i'd like to see her do it.

It's kinda strange how very few people are giving Kaufman a chance, she's 15-1 and outside of a loss to Marlos Coenen (in a fight she was dominating until getting caught) she's undefeated, she's beaten some of the best female fighters on the planet (including Meisha Tate), the Ronda train is in full effect and everybody's overlooking Kaufman.

I'm sniffing an upset...which really, wouldn't be much of an upset.

Archived