The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

Every time I see Woodley fight I get more and more impressed, similar to how I feel about Cormier. I can see both title fights going the full 5 rounds and I go with Woodley and Rockhold to come away with the W's. Strikefroce usually put on a good show from top to bottom, so here's hoping this one is no different. Anyone know what time this kicks off UK time?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ryan Couture really impressed me last time out against Conor Heun. Heun's a decent fighter who took Noons and Gurgel the distance (the Gurgel fight was great aswell). He was Couture's toughest fight yet and he had his best performance yet and submitted him.

And yeah Lawler's the man. I still really want to see him back in the UFC. Endless possibilities for incredible fights there, Lawler vs Belfort, Wand, Bisping, Franklin, Lombard, Stann, Leben, Munoz, Cung Le. Would love to see some of them. Look out for Larkin aswell though if you haven't seen him. Real good striker. Should be some fireworks with him and Lawler.

Marquardt vs. Woodley, possible FOTY. Just awesome stuff, great violent KO finish by Marquardt. Big fish in a little pond now though, he just took out the one guy in the division who could really give him a run for his money.

The less said about Rockhold vs. Kennedy, the better. I think it's the worst title fight I've seen since Silva/Maia.

Gracie/Jardine was fun. Lots of blood and a great comeback attempt. Jardine's probably gone now though. I love how in the pre-fight video, they showed the Liddell KO- the last time he was relevant.

I missed most of Larkin vs. Lawler :( Funny post-fight interview, even if it made SF look really small time.

And bloody hell, Ryan Couture was a hair away from getting beat. Good heart from him, another couple of seconds and he might have finished the choke in the second round.

Probably the best MMA event this week overall, crazy to think we've had 3 in 7 days. Remember when there was months in between UFC events?

• Paid Members

Just watched this, really good show.

Rockhold vs Kennedy

I thought this wasn't that bad to be honest. It started well, and I enjoyed the first two rounds. They seemed to tire by the 3rd/4th though but it was a gruelling fight. Agreed with the decision, there wasn't much of a case for giving Kennedy more than a round, two at a very generous push. Rockhold just seemed a step ahead for me throughout. Better striking, I felt he had the edge in BJJ and thought his cardio looked better over the 5 rounds aswell. The rounds were competitive but Rockhold probably won 4 of them for me.

Wasn't as good a fight as I thought it would be but I don't think it was anywhere near the Silva/Maia, Cro Cop/Mir level of shitness. Decent enough, just one of them kind of fights where neither guy was able to really stamp any significant dominance on it or cause a ton of damage and it was a fight where it kind of fell into a pattern.

Pleased with the result, not really a fan of either but really can't stand Kennedy. Looks like Rockhold vs Jacare 2 might be next.

Marquardt vs Woodley

This was great. FOTN and gotta be in my top 10 of the year I reckon. I didn't talk about this much before the event because to be honest, I didn't expect too much of it. Woodley's been pretty boring lately for me, and who knew what to expect from Nate? I know a lot of people don't like Nate but I've always been a bit of a defender of him. He's had some crap fights no doubt, but his fights with Doerksen, Leites, Gouveia among others were all great fun. When he's on he's usually good to watch.

He was on last night. This move to 170 was a move I questioned last year, even before he missed weight, had the TRT controversy and got sacked. I always thought he looked pretty huge at 185 and I thought the cut to 170 would kill him. Well he looked like 'Nate The Great' last night. Woodley had his moments, hurt Nate early and put Nate in some bother at various points in the fight but Marquardt seemed in control to me for most of the fight.

I had him winning rounds 1 and 2, can't really remember how I saw round 3 but the finish in the 4th was a thing of beauty. It's stuff like this which Nate busts out every now and then which makes you think he could be a major player in the sport. He's had the Florian syndrome for years though of being a killer until he gets the big fights and then losing.

Seriously though, this was probably the best performance of his career for me. His career was on it's arse after the UFC released him last year. He was on the MMA Hour crying and all sorts. What a turn around.

Oh and...

1twoodko.gif

Nate doing his best to outdo David Haye's finish last night. Incredible fight.

Gracie vs Jardine

Fuck, Roger Gracie looked like a beast for two rounds. He faded late and I thought Jardine nicked the 3rd but by then he was spent.

The first two rounds were two of the most one sided I've seen all year. I gave both rounds 10-8 myself. Total, complete domination. Jardine's an underrated grappler for MMA but the dominance here just shows the difference between good MMA grapplers and world champion level BJJ grapplers.

Have to give credit to Jardine though for surviving them first two rounds. The blood made it slippery which probably helped but you could see he knew what he was doing to escape a lot of that stuff. Decent fight although the 3rd round was horrible.

Lawler vs Larkin

This was top stuff. Larkin looked excellent performance wise and physically. 185 is the right weight for him, he always looked a bit soft at 205. Beating an animal like Lawler for your debut at a new weight is impressive. Loved this fight, Larkin just seemed the better overall striker. But it was edge of the seat stuff because of Lawler's power. You could see after a round or two though, Lawler didn't really know what to do with him. Really good fight.

Prelims had some good stuff on them aswell. Ryan Couture impressed again, dug deep to win a tough decision over Joe Duarte. Close fight but I agreed Couture won it. Jason High's quick submission was nice and the Mein/Stinson fight was a very enjoyable 3 rounds.

Healy vs Hirota was a lot closer than most expected. I wasn't that familiar with Hirota but I did think his chances were being undersold going into this. Honestly, I thought Hirota won this. Just. I gave him the first two rounds but could have went either way to be fair. Decent fight, it wasn't the kind of showing from Healy that will have people clamouring for a title shot but Coker seems to be leaning towards it from what I'm reading today. Guess they don't really have many options and he did win.

As much as Strikeforce is on life support and just a lame duck company now, you can't deny the quality of the cards they put out. They've had some belters this year with this one, and the Barnett/Cormier and Rousey/Tate shows.

• Paid Members

card was decision central but there really wasn't a bad fight on the card, despite Mauro Ranallo's fucking annoying insistence on almost apologising for the lack of finishes...Ranallo's got some fucking nerve on him.

Marquadt/Woodley was awesome, for a major title fight it didn't have much fan-fare going in but it delivered big time. Both guys were dropped and both came back strong. Marquadt looked tremendous at the weight, he defended the wrestling perfectly and his straight right hand is a thing of beauty. This will end up on my fights of the year list, great stuff. The finish was devastating.

Rockhold/Kennedy just sort of happened. It was a decent fight but Kennedy's seeming lack of desperation made it feel flat. Considering he's challenging for a world title he never seemed like he believed he could win it. His body language is so negative too, he almost looks scared as he fights, it's a strange thing. Kennedy needs to come forward more. Rockhold won comfortably on the cards and i get the impression that he got more gears to move up too, i just don't think Kennedy dragged him out of it.

* Lorenz Larkin looked great at 185, big, fast and powerful. He's built for the division, he may very well get the next crack at Rockhold too. Robbie Lawler doesn't react well to fighting dynamic strikers, it's a problem he's had ever since fighting Pete Spratt way back at UFC 42, he just seems lost when guys come at him from all angles.

* Roger Gracie needs to get his cardio in order, then he's gonna be a handful. Such an awkward guy to fight, he's got the reach standing which means you need to get inside and once you get there, he ties you up and takes you down. I genuinely felt sorry for Keith Jardine in that 2nd round, that must have sucked.

* Prelims were a decent set too. Ryan Couture remains one of the best underdog stories in the sport, the unfortunate fact that he's in Strikeforce and the name value he has means he's probably fighting guys that are a level above him but he keeps pulling it out! I probably think they'll feed him a Jorge Masvidal which doesn't bode well. I think that could prop up a main card though.

* Speaking of Masvidal, he did his usual thing. He has some of the best head movement in MMA but i always wish he was more aggressive, he barely gets hit and is accurate with his strikes but his lack of offense sometimes makes it look like he's in closer fights than he is. He needs a bit more urgency.

* Healy struggled like fuck with Hirota. This was the fight where Healy needed to nail down that title fight, i aint sure if he did it. Apparently it's Showtime that don't want to put him in there and that's why he finds himself on the undercard...they did interview him during the main broadcast though which was a good sign. Hirota put in one of the better Japanese debuts on American soil...i think he's better suited for the UFC's 145lb division though.

Wand, where did you see the High fight?

• Paid Members

Nah I didn't see High vs Moore, I worded that all wrong. I don't think the fight even aired. Great result for Jason High though.

I reckon Marquardt will probably fight Misaki next but I can see High getting a main card fight next and a possible title shot if he wins. Don't think he'd fare too well against Nate though.

Did anyone hear Pat Miletich during the Mein/Stinson prelim fight when Mein missed a spinning backfist attempt? Ranallo made a comment about being careful trying that and asking Chael Sonnen how it went for him, and Miletich replied with "yeah, but Mein isn't a clumsy wrestler throwing a kung-fu movie type move". I wonder what the problem is there? Calling Chael a "clumsy wrestler"?

Also, apparently Jason High Tweeted after Marquardt won saying "fuck Nate Marquardt". He also isn't too happy that his fight wasn't shown at all.

High was on The MMA Hour and said that the Tweet was just based on his dislike for all the TRT users and the fact that he's Tyrone Woodley's mate. Helwani was saying that High should get the next shot at Marquardt. He was bummed that his fight didn't show because he'd told people he would be on TV, and also said that he's no longer on speaking terms with King Mo, but is sure that Mo will continue talking about him at some point.

The MMA Hour is awesome, for anybody who doesnt catch it regularly, btw.

The MMA Hour is awesome, for anybody who doesnt catch it regularly, btw.

Yeah, aside from the fact that Helwani is a bit of a stirring rat sometimes. He's quickly making enemies in the industry from what I'm hearing.

Archived