The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

I may watch this. I'm interested in Rousey beyond her obvious aesthetic charms. Thought she came across really well on Conan O'Brien and I did watch the Miesha Tate fight - through fingers, mostly. Hmm.

We'll see you become a regular in these threads yet Gladders! :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Really looking forward to this event now, solely because of Rousey. Thinking of sticking a few quid on Kaufman after seeing those odds. It's a double edged sword though, I too don't want to see Rousey lose any time soon. She's the best thing to happen to women's MMA and will only see to make it more popular the longer she stays on top.

If we do eventually get Ronda/Cyborg, does anyone think it will be in the Octagon?

• Paid Members

it could be the fight to break the women into the UFC, a year ago i don't think Dana would have considered it but i think the Ronda/Tate fight and Ronda's recent fame has swayed Dana's judgement on it. Don't think Showtime will wanna let go of her though.

I'd like to see Cyborg/Rousey and Rousey/Carano. More chance of the former than the latter but I'm not confident in the former happening with Rousey's recent comment about the weight class. I've always liked womens MMA. Rousey/Tate is in my top five Fight of the Year list.

• Paid Members

i like it when i see it but i never get the urge to watch anything outside of what Strikeforce or some of the stuff Bellator gives us. The divisions are very thin, but what they give is is very good.

If we do eventually get Ronda/Cyborg, does anyone think it will be in the Octagon?

Possibly. The problem is, if (or more likely when in my opinion) Cyborg smashes Rousey like she has everyone she's faced, where does female MMA go from there? No one can compete with Cyborg.

It's basically one fight, and then back to square one.

i like it when i see it but i never get the urge to watch anything outside of what Strikeforce or some of the stuff Bellator gives us. The divisions are very thin, but what they give is is very good.

Maybe not the right place to post it, but has anyone watched either of the Invicta FC (all female) shows?

Called in William Hills at lunchtime and stuck a fiver on Kaufman at 4/1 (she's 7/2 with BetFred). Beats doing the football coupon for a change.

Maybe not the right place to post it, but has anyone watched either of the Invicta FC (all female) shows?

Called in William Hills at lunchtime and stuck a fiver on Kaufman at 4/1 (she's 7/2 with BetFred). Beats doing the football coupon for a change.

Yep, both shows were amazing and i'm really looking forward to the title fights they are beginning. A really good place for women MMA.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen Invicta yet but heard they were good shows.

I agree though, women's MMA needs more depth. It will come in time. The success Ronda's having will probably encourage more women to get into the sport as well.

If they're really serious about women's MMA growing then I really think something like a Showtime women's TUF style show would help them find new girls and encourage more women to take up MMA. Especially if the did like TUF Brazil and aired it online worldwide. Would be a new twist on the TUF format and if they had Ronda/Cyborg as coaches I'm sure it would generate some interest.

There's not a ton of talent but there's defo enough out there to make a TUF type show with. Invicta are holding all women's shows and they've even got all women's MMA promotions in Japan and have done for years.

There's been some great women's fights over the last few years. Rousey vs Tate , Coenen vs Carmouche, Cyborg vs Carano, Kaufman vs Davis and Carano vs Kedzie were all really good.

• Paid Members

They'll probably have Rousey vs Tate 2 as the back up plan if something cocks up the Cyborg fight like weight or failed tests. Rousey vs Tate 2 would be great and I'd say it's pretty much a cert down the line if they both keep winning.

• Paid Members

Anyone suprised that they stuck Tate on the prelims? Seems a bit harsh and counter-productive to stick her down there. They should be trying to build off her fight with Rousey and keep her name out there, rather than take away some of her steam.

• Paid Members
Anyone suprised that they stuck Tate on the prelims? Seems a bit harsh and counter-productive to stick her down there. They should be trying to build off her fight with Rousey and keep her name out there, rather than take away some of her steam.

I didn't even realise she was on the prelims until you posted that. Yeah, seems a bit odd. I'd have put Tate/Kedzie on the main card over either the OSP or Sayers fights personally. Still, at least they're still getting televised on Showtime Extreme.

Anyone know what UK time the Extreme prelims start tomorrow night?

Archived