The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Card looks pretty much complete for Rockhold vs Kennedy in a couple of weeks.

MAIN CARD (Showtime)

Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Kennedy (Middleweight Title)

Nate Marquardt vs. Tyron Woodley (For vacant Welterweight Title)

Roger Gracie vs. Keith Jardine

Lorenz Larkin vs. Robbie Lawler

PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme)

Jorge Masvidal vs. Justin Wilcox

Pat Healy vs. Mizuto Hirota

Jordan Mein vs. Tyler Stinson

Jason High vs. Nate Moore

Ryan Couture vs. Joe Duarte

Are we getting this aired here at all? I wish they'd sort it out.

Looks really good. Not really a fan of either of the main eventers but dislike Kennedy a lot more so I'll be rooting for Rockhold here. Should be a good fight. Rest of the card looks excellent. Lawler vs Larkin jumps out as a potential barnburner right away, can't wait for that.

Prelims look top notch aswell. Masvidal/Wilcox could be good, Ryan Couture is coming off his most impressive showing beating Conor Heun aswell so will be interesting to see if he can build on that. Jason High's usually fun to watch.

And Pat Healy's got a decent chance of getting a title shot in the not too distant future if he keeps on the winning track. Strikeforce is pretty shallow on challengers for Melendez and Healy's already been mentioned as a possibility. Hirota's decent though, I've only seen a few of his fights but he held the Sengoku and Deep lightweight titles and has beat some good fighters himself. He's probably best known as the guy who got his arm broke and then flipped off by Aoki a couple of years back. Could be a sleeper on the card I reckon.

This has been made official now aswell;

rousey_strikeforce_poster.jpg

Card so far

Ronda Rousey vs. Sarah Kaufman (Women's Bantamweight Title)

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Derek Brunson

Roger Bowling vs. Tarec Saffiedine

Ovince St Preux vs. T.J. Cook

Main event should be exciting. Kaufman's a scrapper, she went through an off spell and had the odd crap fight but she's redeemed herself recently and Rousey's so aggressive I don't think Kaufman will have any choice but to go up a gear. Kaufman seems really fired up lately aswell. I think it will be a tougher fight for Ronda than Tate was because Kaufman's more dangerous on the feet imo. And that's where Ronda has yet to really be tested. She took a few shots off Miesha but I think Kaufman has more power and she'll get into a messy brawl if she has to. But Ronda's Judo and submissions are lethal. No-one's lasted a round yet. Should be good. Who the fuck knows? I'm on the Ronda bandwagon though, she's the best thing to happen to women's MMA yet so I'd like to see her win.

And I really like the sound of Bowling vs Saffiedine, I expect that to be a hell of a fight.

• Paid Members

Strikeforce just seem to be making all the fights they can from the remaining roster, it's working out pretty well on paper so far but eventually they are gonna stop running out of ideas aint they?

On the subject of Pat Healy, i think it's harsh that he needs to take on another big name to justify himself getting a shot. I don't know if Strikeforce don't want him in there against Melendez? but they are certainly giving him a tough road. I'd love to see Healy get a shot.

• Paid Members

Miesha Tate vs Julie Kedzie has been added to the Rousey vs Kaufman card on Aug 18th.

With how thin the women's division is on challengers currently, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Miesha gets another crack at the title if she wins this fight.

Who wouldn't love Ronda vs Miesha 2? And if Kaufman wins then her vs Miesha is a rematch that's been talked about a fair bit aswell. This is all assuming Miesha beats Julie Kedzie though of course which is a fight I think she should win but it isn't a gimme.

beat me to it Natural

• Paid Members

they gotta be looking to get Meisha/Rousey 2 on the burner as soon as possible. I think if they both get through these fights, then get the rematch done it should be just in time for the return of Cyborg.

Cyborg/Rousey has to happen.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. How long was Cyborg suspended for, a year was it? She must've served 5 or 6 months by now. If Ronda beats Kaufman and maybe Miesha again then Cyborg should be about ready to return. Ronda vs Cyborg would be probably the biggest fight in women's MMA history. I think it would surpass Cyborg vs Gina Carano for hype and fight quality.

But Kaufman could be a spanner in the works. I really think she'll give Ronda a bit of a test.

• Paid Members

this is how Saturday's show stacks up...

Main Card:

Luke Rockhold (9-1) vs. Tim Kennedy (14-3) [MW Title]

Nate Marquardt (31-10-2) vs. Tyron Woodley (10-0) [WW Title]

Roger Gracie (4-1) vs. Keith Jardine (17-10-2)

Lorenz Larkin (12-0, 1 NC) vs. Robbie Lawler (19-8, 1 NC)

Preliminary Card:

Jorge Masvidal (22-7) vs. Justin Wilcox (11-4, 1 NC)

Pat Healy (27-16) vs. Mizuto Hirota (14-4-1)

Jordan Mein (23-8) vs. Tyler Stinson (23-8)

Jason High (15-3) vs. Nate Moore (8-2)

Ryan Couture (4-1) vs. Joe Duarte (10-2)

it's a great card, ive come to the decision recently to cut down on the prelims a bit because fight nights are just too long to watch at home in one sitting, but sometimes it's unavoidable, as is the case with this show. I wanna see every fight there.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. I can see Rockhold vs Kennedy going the full 5 and being a really good, fairly evenly matched fight. I reckon Rockhold will nick a close decision.

Lawler vs Larkin is the one that jumps out for me though. I've always been a Robbie Lawler fan, and Larkin is a guy I've really enjoyed watching come up through the Challengers shows. Bit of a Melvin Manhoef about his style and I like that.

Gracie/Jardine's an interesting styles clash and Marquardt vs Woodley could be good. Woodley's biggest test yet. The Healy, Masvidal and Couture prelims in particular caught my eye aswell.

Good looking show there.

• Paid Members

yeh, im taking Rockhold by decision. It's got much fan-fare going in but it could be a bit of a classic. Both guys are well rounded and both are super active in the cage. I think it's gonna be a bit of a knock-down, drag-out affair.

Really interested to see Marquadt at 170lb too. The debut has been so long coming now and it's questionable whether or not he should be in a title shot but i can't hate on Nate the Great. I've pimped Woodley on here since the early Challengers days but as of late the lackluster fights he's been in has made me turn on him a little. I'd love to see Marquadt pull this one out of the bag, Woodley's wrestling may the deciding factor though.

Love Larkin/Lawler too!

• Paid Members

It really is a great looking card. Like ebb said I want to watch every fight, as they all look like good value. In terms of the two fights I wanna see Marquardt and Rockhold come out on top, mainly due to my dislike of the guys theyre facing, and Larkin/Lawler could be a slugfest. Buzzing!

• Paid Members
i don't think so, they were only showing the fights involving the grand prix weren't they?

They did show a few others aswell as the GP. They defo aired the Fedor vs Hendo, Diaz vs Daley and Hendo vs Feijao events. But they haven't shown any of the recent non-GP events.

I hope when this UFC/ESPN deal expires next month that the next deal they sign will include the Strikeforce events aswell. Probably won't but it's all Zuffa so I don't see why they couldn't.

But yeah, this event isn't on here. Maybe they'll show it on delay on Eurosport HD like they did with Melendez/Masvidal and Rockhold/Jardine? Won't be on live though. Torrents for me.

They should at least sort us out a legal stream on ufc.tv/Facebook/Youtube like they do for prelims and shows ESPN don't pick up.

Archived