The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

shitty news :(

It just emphasises the strange nature of Strikeforce these days though, they've got a thin roster and Showtime clearly has an idea of who the headline acts of the promotion are (the champions) and they don't wanna know if they aint involved.

Gutted.

• Paid Members

This is shit. What a year this has been.

The Strikeforce roster is indeed too thin. I still think Zuffa would be better off trying to come to some agreement with Showtime where the UFC absorbs the Strikeforce fighters and Showtime gets so many UFC shows a year. That way the UFC gets some good fighters, Showtime gets the UFC brand and bigger name fighters on their station and the fighters still get great exposure.

I'm guessing the FOX deal eliminates this option though. There's likely a clause stopping the UFC airing live fights on another network. If not I'm sure this would have happened because it would make sense for all parties. Except FOX.

When does this Showtime/Strikeforce deal end?

I miss having a strong number 2 company that is independent of Zuffa.

Lets hope Spike TV can assist Bellator to becoming just that. I thought Strikeforce was a hotbed from 2009-2011 with Nick Diaz, Fedor, Hendo and others making a cracking little roster and putting on shows I looked forward to as much as UFC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I always thought Rockhold looked limp wristed.

Seriously, this is getting ridiculous now. It's no-one's fault, these things will happen when training for a fight, but it's been such a crappy year for injuries. Strikeforce is barely existing as it is without all this bad luck thrown on top of it.

I'm expecting any day now for a report that Daniel Cormier has broken his hand again and his Nov 3rd fight, and the whole card, is off. Again.

• Paid Members
Because Zuffa want to force Showtime to ditch Strikeforce (so their big names can join UFC) and not the opposite.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case at all. First and foremost, the UFC has already taken the majority of the big names in Strikeforce. Diaz, Overeem, Cung Le and Dan Henderson, they've got pretty much anyone not named Gilbert or Ronda that they'd really want. And secondly, I'm pretty certain the Zuffa actually want Strikeforce on Showtime because Showtime want MMA programming regardless, and as such if they didn't have Strikeforce they'd only go and invest time and money into a competitor not owned by Zuffa, which they don't want. As I understand it, it's similar to how the WEC was used as a method to stop other promotions going on Versus and becoming competitive.

Here's a few rumours going about on twitter

Daniel Rubenstein ‏@dannyrube

Hearing rumors StrikeForce is folding from multiple people. I'm not a reporter, so people should go to work and confirm this please.

FrontRowBrian ‏@FrontRowBrian

Hearing @Strikeforce is being disbanded immediately. It is no more. Another promotion goes by the wayside.

There's also a rumour that the UFC television programming structure is about to be changed.

Meltzer said on his podcast that Dana text him saying there is something big and it's going to be a "game changer."

Maybe the are ditching Strikeforce and Showtime or maybe they will have UFC shows on Showtime, since it's a subscription channel it's not really competing with anything on the Fox networks.

Another fight gone:

Another match for the 11/3 Strikeforce show, the Sara McMann vs. Liz Carmouche match that would likely set someone in line for a match with Ronda Rousey, is out due to an injury to McMann.

Credit: f4wonline.com

:(

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the second Strikeforce show in a row to be cancelled.

• Paid Members

I've finally caught up with last week's show on FX, including watching the post-fight press conference, and Dana's reaction when asked about Rousey was very interesting. Smiling and dodging the question when someone asked if we'd see the Cyborg fight in UFC, signs definitely suggest that if even if Strikeforce doesn't fold, it probably won't have Ronda on their roster for much longer. She'd be perfect for a FOX special.

Because Zuffa want to force Showtime to ditch Strikeforce (so their big names can join UFC) and not the opposite.

I never said anything about big names though, I asked why Zuffa don't get some of the younger guys under contract and put them on Strikeforce. If anyone shines they can move up to the UFC, meaning they've already had some television coverage and the like.

Makes sense.

Archived