The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, maybe that was his reaction to Mike Swick getting sparked out by Matt Brown.

For my money Frank is the MVP of Strikeforce out of the fighters. He drew big numbers in Cali and on Showtime, and carried the promotion commercially for at least 2 years.

Love him or hate him, his comeback tour was good for MMA as it helped Strikeforce grow into the 2nd biggest MMA promotion in the States. Without his classic with Cung Le or the exciting fight with Baroni (which was promoted like a dream) they would have never been in a situation to hire Fedor and Hendo.

When he lost to Diaz it was like a passing of the torch as Diaz became the MVP for the next 2 years.

Edit: To prove my point, look at how much he and Cung are promoted on the first events poster, you can barely see the company logo

StrikeforceShamrockVsGracieEventPoster.jpg

• Paid Members

yeh that interview with Coker goes to show how much of an asset Shamrock was to the promotion, he's a marmite personality and i think he leans more on the wrong side of the fans opinion these days but Shamrock's 'comeback tour' was fucking brilliant. I've mentioned in on here several times that during that period i was convinced that Sharock was one of the best 185'lbers in the world, and looking back at it that's a bit silly, but it was all down to Shamrock's self-promotional tactics, he was as good as anyone there's ever been in MMA. I mean, Shamrock's fight with Phil Baroni was a nothing fight in terms of 185lb rankings but when that fight came about it felt like the biggest fight in the sport, great memories.

Coker mentions on that interview that Strikeforce were selling 15-16,000 tickets per show in them early day almost purely off the strength of Shamrock's name...there's not many fighters in the sport's history that can claim to do that.

Strikeforce-Shamrock-vs-Baroni.jpg

he's a marmite personality and i think he leans more on the wrong side of the fans opinion these days

That is true, I fucking love him though.

Some of the most enjoyment I have ever gotten out of MMA is the Frank/Baroni hype and fight. It set a record on Showtime at the time that was only beaten by Kimbo Slice.

I thought he was one of the best at 185lbs as well, until the Renzo fight and he even managed to be the talk of the town after that with how it ended. Forget the Zuffa version, the Strikeforce shows with Frank on in 2006 -2008, and the shows all round from 2009-2010 prove they were a great promotion. Coker is a top guy as well.

It ranks 3rd on my list of promotions behind UFC and Pride.

• Paid Members
Thanks, maybe that was his reaction to Mike Swick getting sparked out by Matt Brown.

Or when he heard Dana had Meniere's disease.

Too much?

4th for me behind UFC, Pride and YAMMA Pit Fighting.

Ha.

Personally, as much as I loved Strikeforce, I liked WEC slightly more. I don't know if there's ever been a promotion more consistently great as WEC was. Plus I preferred their commentators, their ring announcer, their ring girls and I loved the sexy blue cage.

For me;

1. UFC

2. Pride

3. WEC

4. Strikeforce

On Shamrock, I fall onto the 'not a fan' side but I defo think he did a lot for Strikeforce. He was to Strikeforce what Royce was to the UFC and Rickson was to Pride. He gave them instant credibility and a name to build their early shows around.

Like already said, he was a great salesman. In 2007ish he had me convinced he was a top 185er as well.

• Paid Members

Oh, everyone made weight by the way.

I somehow keep forgetting Mousasi vs Kyle is on this card. Should be a good'un. Mousasi is kind of the forgotten man at 205. He was on fire a couple of years ago, lost to Mo and never quite got back on track despite being unbeaten since. I'll be interested to see him finally in the UFC. He won't beat Jones but he'll be a great addition to the division and a fresh face to throw into the mix.

Even Mike Kyle, I hope they give him a fight in the UFC whether he wins or loses tonight. He's exciting, not a contender but there's fun fights to be made.

Mike Kyle vs Igor Pokrajac, Joey Beltran, Jimi Manuwa, Fabio Maldonado, James Te Huna....how can they not deliver?

Really interested to see what happens with Josh Barnett after tonight as well. Obviously if he loses he can forget the UFC. But he should win. I hope they can work something out. Barnett back in the UFC (providing he's a good boy this time) would be fantastic.

Got a feeling Jacare vs Herman will be great.

Good time to ask this with Strikeforce's last show, Strikeforce recommendations please? My first Strikeforce event was Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu II, I watched nearly all the big fights on the shows that followed but nothing before the event I named.

Strikeforce was heavily involved in the best MMA game of all time, EA Sports MMA. I know some prefer the UFC Undisputed games by THQ (1 and 3) but I've always preferred EA Sports MMA from the very first day I played it.

4th for me behind UFC, Pride and YAMMA Pit Fighting.

Ha.

Personally, as much as I loved Strikeforce, I liked WEC slightly more. I don't know if there's ever been a promotion more consistently great as WEC was. Plus I preferred their commentators, their ring announcer, their ring girls and I loved the sexy blue cage.

For me;

1. UFC

2. Pride

3. WEC

4. Strikeforce

My rankings:

1. UFC

2. WEC

3. Pride

4. Strikeforce

I'm glad Extreme Sports introduced me to the WEC showing WEC 36-48, shame it goes no further that that.

• Paid Members
Good time to ask this with Strikeforce's last show, Strikeforce recommendations please? My first Strikeforce event was Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu II, I watched nearly all the big fights on the shows that followed but nothing before the event I named.

For shows before Henderson vs Babalu 2, I'd recommend these;

Strikeforce: Shamrock vs Baroni

A joint effort between Strikeforce and Elite XC with a load of names on and none of the main card fights went the distance. All finishes. You've got a fun fight between Cung Le and Tony Fryklund, a one round stand up blitz with Daley vs Ludwig, a pretty good Ninja Rua vs Joey Villasenor fight and the main event of Frank Shamrock vs Phil Baroni which not only was a great grudge match with a load of trash talk but it delivered in the cage as well.

Strikeforce: Shamrock vs Diaz

Another Shamrock grudge match and a good one sided main event against Nick Diaz. Again, no fights go the distance and you have a forgotten war with Scott Smith vs Benji Radach where Smith produces another amazing comeback. There's also Gilbert Melendez and Mrs Cyborg getting impressive stoppages.

Strikeforce: Evolution

This is one of the best shows Strikeforce ever put out in my opinion. Only 4 fights but there's no shit on it. King Mo and Jacare fights are good one round showcases. You have a 5 round FOTY candidate in Melendez vs Thomson 2 which I loved and then the main event of Cung Le vs Scott Smith which was a shocking comeback KO yet again for Smith over the unbeaten Le at the time. Excellent show.

Strikeforce: Miami

Nick Diaz vs Marius Zaromskis is a fantastic one round fight, similar to Diaz's later fight with Paul Daley. Aside from that you have Marloes Coenen's courageous attempt to survive the Cyborg, a 2 minute Bobby Lashley fight and the infamous Lawler vs Manhoef round of mayhem. Yet again, finishes galore.

Of course there's other stand-alone fights worth checking out as well. I'd highly recommend Gilbert Melendez vs Clay Guida from Strikeforce's second show (Strikeforce: Revenge) for example. There's some really good stuff on the Challengers shows as well.

Some weigh in photos from last night;

Marquardt vs Saffiedine

008_Marquardt_and_Saffiedine_gallery_post.jpg

Cormier vs Staring (lovely back hair)

005_Cormier_and_Staring_gallery_post.jpg

Barnett vs Guelmino

003_Barnett_and_Guelmino_gallery_post.jpg

For The Natural in regards to Strike Force recommendations, I'd throw in the Fedor/Rogers card from July 2009 and Los Angeles from June 2010. From the former both Bigfoot/Werdum and Fedor/Rogers are good fights, though you have a lackluster Shields/Mayhem fight to endure too, whilst with the latter there is a great KJ Noons/Heun opener and the main of Babalu/Lawler is a good stand up fight. Absolutely agree with the Evolution recommendation, and you have what is probably the best Round Five ever in the Thompson/Melendez fight.

If you want to check out a few fights without having to watch the whole card, I say:

Clay Guida vs Gilbert Melendez Strikeforce 'Revenge' 06.09.06

Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le Strikeforce/EliteXC 'Shamrock vs Cung Le' 03.29.08

Scott Smith vs Terry Martin Strikeforce 'Destruction' 11.21.08 (purely for the KO!)

Sarah Kaufman vs Miesha Tate Strikeforce Challengers 'Evangelista vs Aina' 05.15.09

Gina Carano vs Cris Cyborg Strikeforce 'Carano vs Cyborg' 08.15.09

Jorge Gurgel vs Conor Heun Strikeforce Challengers 'Villasenor vs Cyborg' 09.16.09

Thomas Longacre vs Travis Calanoc Strikeforce Challengers 'Kennedy vs Cummings' 09.25.09

Brandon Cash vs Shane Del Rosario Strikeforce Challengers 'Evangelista vs Gurgel' 11.06.09

Billy Evangelista vs Jorge Gurgel Strikeforce Challengers 'Evangelista vs Gurgel' 11.06.09

• Paid Members

yeh definitly get hold of some of the Jorge Gurgel wars on the old Challengers shows, he gets critisiced heavily because of how he fights but them fights are epic.

....on that subject, what happened to Billy Evangelista?

Archived