The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

Frank was almost crying at the end, whatever is said you can tell he really cares.

I thought it was decent, nothing special but decent. The commentary does not annoy me as much as others, and the production on Showtime I think in most ways is top-notch. The camera stuff was dire though I agree.

I have no real opinion on the fights, as for the stuff I care about Jacare, Barnett and Cormier nothing really happened that was unexpected, they just did what they needed to do and looked good doing it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the Strikeforce recommendations wandshogun09, Ebb and Magnum Milano. Hope to get round to watching them ASAP.

I agree with the sentiments about Strikeforce's last show but I will add two other things. I know Mauro Ranallo's commentary divides opinion but it's a shame he had to miss Strikeforce's final show. Totally understandable why. My best wishes go out to him and his parents. The other is the referee not restarting Souza/Herman where they were when Herman threw illegal upkicks. Bad call.

Frank was almost crying at the end, whatever is said you can tell he really cares.

Reccomend this Frank Shamrock interview to all of you:

How do people think Saffiedine, Marquardt, Cormier, Barnett, Mousasi and Jacare will do when they eventually come to the UFC?

Also, do we think some of the lower-card (winning) fighters like Ryan Couture, Pat Healy, Tim Kennedy and Roger Gracie will be picked up by UFC?

• Paid Members

I forgot to mention Barnett. It turned out to be a total gimme. The guy was out of his depth and clearly looking for the door the way he gave up the arm triangle.

I really hope we get Barnett in the UFC now. He's too good for the minor leagues and being pretty much on the home stretch of his career, he needs to be in the big leagues. Its where the money and big fights are for him.

The best part is, Barnett in the UFC heavyweight division would be pretty much all fresh match ups. Aside from Nog and Hunt it's all new ground.

Barnett vs Mir is a fight I've always wanted to see. Both competent strikers but the grappling would be very interesting. BJJ vs Catch Wrestling.

They are the two best talkers at heavyweight as well. I'd love to see them do TUF: Barnett vs Mir actually.

Barnett vs Nog 3

Barnett vs Werdum

Barnett vs Big Country

Barnett vs Overeem

Barnett vs JDS

Getting ahead of myself but it would be great. Providing he keeps his piss clean of course.

• Paid Members
Also, do we think some of the lower-card (winning) fighters like Ryan Couture, Pat Healy, Tim Kennedy and Roger Gracie will be picked up by UFC?

I'd have to assume the likes of Couture and Gracie will get in. Good prospects with marketable last names. Healy and Kennedy should too, both won and in Healy's case he was in line for a shot at Melendez so you'd expect him to come in and fight someone who's "in the mix". Healy vs Rafael Dos Anjos would make sense.

Reccomend this Frank Shamrock interview to all of you:

Thanks will watch that later :thumbsup:

You're welcome.

On the subject of what's going to happen to the Strikeforce fighters who fought last night - where do you think Scott Coker, Mauro Ranallo, Frank Shamrock and Pat Miletich will go? Didn't the UFC give Scott Adams and Reed Harris (WEC) jobs in the UFC? Perhaps Coker might get one.

I'd have to assume the likes of Couture and Gracie will get in. Good prospects with marketable last names. Healy and Kennedy should too, both won and in Healy's case he was in line for a shot at Melendez so you'd expect him to come in and fight someone who's "in the mix". Healy vs Rafael Dos Anjos would make sense.

If a semi competent prospect from a season of Ultimate Fighter can get a shot on a FX show, these guys certainly will. Dana was tweeting about the show even. Saying how Noons got robbed, so I 'd guess even Noons will get a shot in the UFC.

• Paid Members

Re: Natural

Coker will be kept on in some capacity. He's said he's meeting with them in Vegas in the next few weeks to discuss what role he'll have.

He's a good guy to have around. He's intelligent, been in the fight business for about 20-odd years, good eye for talent, the fighters like him and I guess most crucially, Dana and Lorenzo like him.

Frank Shamrock won't get a job. Dana hates him, and really there's no obvious role for him. I can't see them hiring any of the commentators.

EDIT - Yeah 1Sin, I'd expect the majority of the roster will be at least given a shot.

Coker will be kept on in some capacity. He's said he's meeting with them in Vegas in the next few weeks to discuss what role he'll have.

He's a good guy to have around. He's intelligent, been in the fight business for about 20-odd years, good eye for talent, the fighters like him and I guess most crucially, Dana and Lorenzo like him.

Frank Shamrock won't get a job. Dana hates him, and really there's no obvious role for him. I can't see them hiring any of the commentators.

EDIT - Yeah 1Sin, I'd expect the majority of the roster will be at least given a shot.

I agree with you on Coker and Shamrock. Miletich and Ranallo are probably in the Shamrock boat as well hoping for another group to come along.

Thought the prelims were far better than the main card. The Gracie fight was fun. Didnt pay attention to the hype before the show, but the guy who took the fight on short notice against Pay Healy was very impressive (think he had 2 weeks to prepare, and usually fights a weight class below). That was a good fight, too. The Kennedy/Smith, Noons/Couture figthts were also solid, competitive fights (unlike most of the main card).

• Paid Members

it was a poor way to go out in the end, the bookies had the odds all about right, i forever get caught up in pre-fight hype and it turned out that way again, the heavyweight fights were mis-matches and Mousasi just walked through Kyle proving how good he is.

Jacare's performance against Herman should serve notice to everyone in the UFC though, he's turning into an MMA wrecking machine, he's got some nasty strikes now and his ground game just swallows guys. Jacare's gonna be fucking fools up.

Surprise performance on the prelims was that of Kurt Holobaugh, he was the one unknown guy going in, fighting against the guy who was the no. 1 contender at 155lb and he gave Pat Healy a good scrap, sharp strikes and constantly looking for shit off his back, Holobaugh probably did enough to secure a shot at 145lb in the UFC, he fought like he wanted it.

Complete bullshit decision in the Noons/Couture fight. It was the fight of the night but i thought Noons just ate Couture up all night with the counter strikes, the fact that Couture demonstrated an iron jaw and kept coming throwing all kinds of wild shit made it exciting but there's no doubt in my mind that Noons won every round.

The main event was a complete surprise, that the best leg break down ive seen since the Aldo/Faber fight in the WEC. For the first 3 rounds i was complaining that Tarec wasn't doing anything outside of landing leg kicks but after round 3 the effects of the kicks really started to take effect, it was just painful to watch by the end. Score-wise i had it 48-47 Saddiedine but the first 3 rounds were close, i have no complaints though as the last two were clinical. Saffiedine now enters the UFC in a much better position that he would have been in, there aint much fan-fair behind him and he definitly seems like the kind of fighter that benefits from a longer fight. Interesting to see where he goes in the UFC.

Bye Bye Strikeforce.

I agree with you on Coker and Shamrock. Miletich and Ranallo are probably in the Shamrock boat as well hoping for another group to come along.

Those announcers have contracts with Showtime right? They won't be going to UFC.

• Paid Members

They should make Cecil Peoples watch the main event on loop for a week. Then Aldo vs Faber the week after that, Barry vs Evensen the week after that and Ernesto Hoost vs Cro Cop the week after that. A solid month. Then give him the practical exam - 1 leg kick from Pat Barry (there would be no need for a second one).

THEN ask him if leg kicks don't win fights.

I had Noons winning too. In fairness, even Ryan Couture said he was expecting KJ to get the nod. The Helwani interview with Couture shows Ryan defo inherited his Dad's class. And his voice, he sounds just like him.

Noons is surely pretty much a lock for a UFC contract. A very enjoyable fight which he got burnt by bad judging. The UFC will keep a guy like that. Especially with Dana tweeted that Noons was robbed.

I'd like to see a rematch at some point.

Archived