Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Awards Moderator

JK Simmons getting ready to be Commissioner Gordon for Justice League.

8lNRNkg.jpg

Edit: sorry - genuinely hadn't seen it'd been posted in the other thread.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Remember Defenders of the Earth? Sasha Baron Cohen is gonna play Mandrake the Magician (who is an ancient comic character) in a movie. It's definitely only being made to ride on Doctor Strange's coattails but I like the character and Sasha and magic so I'm well up for it. I hope it's good.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/43440/baron-cohen-is-mandrake-the-magician

Michael B Jordan has confirmed he and Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o will be among the cast of the upcoming Marvel superhero film Black Panther.

He told The Hollywood Reporter he was "super excited" and wanted "to put a different spin on it", but did not expand on what role he would play.

The film will see Jordan reunite with his Creed director Ryan Coogler.

"I'm looking forward to working with Ryan once again. It's gonna be a good time," he said.

He added he could not wait to work with Nyong'o, who won a best supporting actress Oscar for 12 Years a Slave in 2014, as well as Chadwick Boseman - who is currently on the big screen playing Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War.

Jordan played the Human Torch in last year's Fantastic Four flop reboot. Nyong'o also played CGI character Maz Kanata in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Black Panther will be released in February 2018.

• Paid Members

Remember Defenders of the Earth? Sasha Baron Cohen is gonna play Mandrake the Magician (who is an ancient comic character) in a movie. It's definitely only being made to ride on Doctor Strange's coattails but I like the character and Sasha and magic so I'm well up for it. I hope it's good.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/43440/baron-cohen-is-mandrake-the-magician

I look forward to how they introduce his giant black slave / best friend Lothar

54hht.jpg

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

He's the strongest man in the world and can't be hurt by man made weapons in the comics. Why he hangs around with Mandrake has always been a bit sketchy ( and the phrase big black slave) was actually used by the owners in a serial by them.

• Paid Members

Awww it's set in modern day? It'll be just a comedy version of Dr Strange then.

Would have loved to have seen a good take on a 30s superhero movie

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, at least you have The Phantom, The Rocketeer, The Shadow and Dick Tracy from that 90s period where 30s style action was popular. I think The Rock/Shane Black's Doc Savage will be a period piece too.