Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
Any word if John Williams iconic music is being incorporated into this reboot?

God I hope so! That music for me has become as synonymous with Superman as the S on his chest!

  • Paid Members
Posted
Any word if John Williams iconic music is being incorporated into this reboot?

 

I know this might seem as nit-picky, but this is valid: it's not "iconic", it's "anthemic" - iconic is visual, anthemic is aural.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Just comes across as bellend-ish to me. Fair enough on spelling and that, but something so pointless as that just comes across as "Look at Carbomb, the human dictionary" to me.

  • Paid Members
Posted
I'm liking the costume although the hair kinda reminds me of Gary Oldmans Dracula.

Like the suit, but he has the hair of a young Paulie Walnuts. Looks horrible.

  • Paid Members
Posted
Just comes across as bellend-ish to me. Fair enough on spelling and that, but something so pointless as that just comes across as "Look at Carbomb, the human dictionary" to me.

 

Someone used the word "trolling" incorrectly in On-Topic yesterday. He was corrected. Would you say the person who corrected him was being a bell-end or "Look at me, human dictionary"?

  • Paid Members
Posted
Someone used the word "trolling" incorrectly in On-Topic yesterday. He was corrected. Would you say the person who corrected him was being a bell-end or "Look at me, human dictionary"?

 

Completely different context. Iconic is a word that people use regardless of aural, visual or whatever else. It might not be correct but it's generally used by people in other contexts. That trolling example was someone just using the wrong word in the wrong context.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
Completely different context. Iconic is a word that people use regardless of aural, visual or whatever else. It might not be correct but it's generally used by people in other contexts. That trolling example was someone just using the wrong word in the wrong context.

 

You're talking about general usage; by this token, people who correct anyone who uses "would of", "could of", "should of" are being bell-ends. Why is it OK to correct one and not the other? And I wasn't doing it to be a bell-end or show off, by the way. There's nothing wrong with correcting grammar or vocab usage if you're not doing it specifically to belittle somebody, and I wasn't.

Edited by Carbomb
Posted

I actually didn't know that "iconic" was purely visual. I intend to use "anthemic"in real life. Ta for that Carbomb, you learn something every day.

 

the_more_you_know.jpg

  • Paid Members
Posted
I actually didn't know that "iconic" was purely visual. I intend to use "anthemic"in real life. Ta for that Carbomb, you learn something every day.

 

No probs, man - you've taken it exactly in the spirit I meant it.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Personally, I knew that iconic referred to a visual or a characteristic. However, I have used the term to describe a track before, and that certainly includes John Williams' Superman composition. Anthemic, whilst correct in the literal sense, doesn't feel grand enough when describing a track like this.

 

I think the best way to make it work is that the opening credits as a visual along with the track is a iconic sequence.

  • Paid Members
Posted
Personally, I knew that iconic referred to a visual or a characteristic. However, I have used the term to describe a track before, and that certainly includes John Williams' Superman composition. Anthemic, whilst correct in the literal sense, doesn't feel grand enough when describing a track like this.

 

Really? Not even taken in the context of something like "national anthem"? It's always felt grand to me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...