Championship and Lower League Discussion 2010/11

patiirc

it's us (West Brom) that sacked Lee Hughes. I have no idea who Majik supports (Coventry?), but i'm pretty sure it's not West Brom.

Yeah my bad.. too much pain the incident that lead to that. Hughes has played for Cov though

and its a common misconception Liverpool fans make the same Cov/ Lee Hughes link

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah - as he was a former Cov player, and the incident happened in Cov (at a pub I used to enjoy many a pint at!) then the connection is understandable.

I'm reading further into this Marlon King thing and starting to doubt it now. If he arrives, I'll be disgusted.

Simon Davey has resigned as Darlo Boss less than 3 months into the job, by email

Barnsley, Norwich and Peterborough are signing players like there is no tomorrow.

Our signings have dried up, but we've got rid of some of the dead wood. I've got total faith in Mark Robins though...

...which I could not say for Simon Davey. Since leaving Darlo via email (and leaving Ryan Kidd in charge - who was assistant to him at Barnsley), the little weasel has landed the Hereford job. This is probably his last chance, as I can't see anyone trusting him again in the future. The fat little shit.

I'm quite optimistic to be fair. Shackell from Wolves looks a good buy at this level, as does O'Brien from Motherwell. We've also signed a Dutch Geezer from Anderlecht (I think) called Loovens, who is a goal scoring midfielder by all accounts.

The trouble will be goals (or lack of) again. Currently, our two contracted front men are Andy Gray (who has never really been prolific) and Iain Hume, who has never been the same since the head injury.

We need a striker please Mr Robins!!!

Peter Reid gets Plymouth job...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...yle/8755830.stm

I quite like Plymouth and Reidy's a bit of a hero of mine for what he did at Sunderland, so I really hope this works out. In truth, the last great thing he ever did was keep Leeds up at the arse end of one season, it's just been a few disappointments since then. Hope he does well with them.

Remember last seasons version of this thread. I got mocked for saying Rob Snodgrass was the best winger in L1....hey ho,he scored double figures,had a blinder against Liverpool and set loads of goals up too to help us get promoted.....which brings me to...

First season back in the N Power Championship and i'm quite optimistic we can compete. Kasper Schmeichel was a brilliant signing out of the blue and could potentially be the best keeper in the division if we get our back 4 organised around him. We seem to have addressed our biggest problem which is at full back. We played too many players out of position there last season and as good a job as Andy Hughes did at left and right back,you've got to feel he would be exposed against Championship wingers. We've picked up Paul Connolly on a free from Derby,a solid player with bags of experience and Fede Bessone from Swansea also on a free. I'm excited about the Bessone signing as our target man Lucciano Becchio thrives on crosses into the box form attacking full backs. His goals dried up mid way through last season when Bromby and Hughes offered no attacking threat from full back.

My main worry is the loss of Jermaine Beckford,i feel he would have set the Championship alight,and a year at this level would have benefitted him,but to be fair to the lad,you can't turn Everton and PL football down. On the replacement front we have picked up Billy Paynter on a free from Swindon,this is another signing that excites me as he twice offered Leeds a new arsehole last season on his way to 29 goals. He's more of a Becchio than a Beckford but he has good movement is a great finisher and brilliant at bringing others into play (Illustrated by the fact that his previous strike partners Charlie Austin and Simon Cox have both hit the 20 goal mark whilst partnering him),he will be an excellent addition to our squad.

I also worry about our centre backs. Paddy Kisnorbo is top draw,but out while November with a ruptured acchilies,Richard Naylor looked awful last season after being collosal the season before. Story goes that he had a back operation and missed all pre season and could never shake the niggles. Hopefully he can get a good summer under his belt and come back a more than able back up. This leaves us with Leigh Bromby whom while a steady player with bags of experience,is not in my opinion a top Championship CB.

In summary we need a centre back and a striker with pace desperately,and a little bit of depth to the squad would not go a miss either. I can see us finishing in the top half should we get these.

I'm loving the World Cup n all that,but god i cant wait for August. COME ON LEEDS.

• Paid Members

The latest on the Hull City managerial situation is that we're supposedly close to agreeing a "hostile" recruitment of a manager and his assistant. The rumour mill says it's Nigel Pearson from Leicester.

Another season in League 2 beckons for Bradford, but with high hopes for success (that said, we've had high hopes every season for about 5 years now) but we have a proven manager in Peter Taylor, and some promising signings already with another 2 or 3 to come I think.

in thus far is Robbie Threlfall a left back from Liverpool on a permanent contract following a succesful loan spell last year, Luke Oliver, a giant of a centre half who has played under Taylor before at Wycombe, Lloyd Saxton, a back up keeper from Plymouth who will compete with Jon McLaughlin for the number 1 jersey, and most impressive of all, former Northern Ireland international Tommy Docherty, who again has played under Taylor at Wycombe, most recently was at Ferencvaros I believe.

we're still looking for a striker and another attacking midfielder, rumours suggest we might be looking at a Man Utd academy product Fabien Brandy, but we'll wait and see I guess.

on the Carling Cup front we have been drawn against Nottingham Forest (AGAIN!) this time at Valley Parade. I won't lie to you, I'm not confident.

In summary we need a centre back and a striker with pace desperately,and a little bit of depth to the squad would not go a miss either. I can see us finishing in the top half should we get these.

To be honest I can see Leeds battling for promotion next season.

and most impressive of all, former Northern Ireland international Tommy Docherty, who again has played under Taylor at Wycombe, most recently was at Ferencvaros I believe.

Waste of talent.. ran the game against Spain a few years ago.. To many fags ( still smoking last I heard) too much drink and not enough application. Shame on his day fucking immense

Kasper Schmeichel was a brilliant signing out of the blue and could potentially be the best keeper in the division if we get our back 4 organised around him.

...On your bike. City can't claim much, but I think we've got 'best keeper' tied down.

On the subject of what City have tied down; we've tied down Roy O'Donovan on a three year deal. Rubbish.

He's a still a plate of shit then is he? An unbelievable acquisition for Sunderland a few years back, in that I couldn't believe Roy Keane would dream of presenting him as a Premier League signing. I assumed he knew Roy's mam and he was doing her a favour or something. Just useless.

• Paid Members
On the subject of what City have tied down; we've tied down Roy O'Donovan on a three year deal. Rubbish.

He's a still a plate of shit then is he? An unbelievable acquisition for Sunderland a few years back, in that I couldn't believe Roy Keane would dream of presenting him as a Premier League signing. I assumed he knew Roy's mam and he was doing her a favour or something. Just useless.

We chased O'Donovan for 6 months and then Sunderland stepped in and took him (becoming a familiar story). I'm delighted that he turned out shit.

Looks like there's something in the Nigel Pearson rumours. I'll take him. I'd have preferred Dave Jones but Pearson beats just about everyone else we've been linked with.

Archived