Championship and Lower League Discussion 2010/11

patiirc

Pearson's the best manager outside the Premier League in my opinion, you're incredibly lucky to get him. He's done an outstanding job at Leicester, Holloway left them in a total and utter mess when he went in there. He's a much better for a quick return to the Premier League for you than Jones too, if that's your goal for the season anyway.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I thin getting back up is more of a hope than a goal. Everyone realises that the best way to address our financial problems is to get back to reciving Premier League money. unfortunately, we can't chuck a lot of money at it so the plan is to get rid of the most expensive players, sell anyone else who's worth anything and then supplement what we have left with loans and freebies. We do have some quality left, hopefully we still will by August 7th.

I'm quite excited by Pearson but I'm not going to get excited until it's signed and sealed. After Browny was benched, we were linked with Curbishley, Hughes, Coppell, etc and ended up with Dowie. So I won't count my chickens just yet.

Whats Cov fans take on signing Richard Keogh?

Great defender when applies himself but has a very long list of Personal Demons... Still he has been around for a while and is only 23

Pretty impressed we got him, frankly. It's great that Aidy isn't bullshitting in the media, he's just going out and signing quality players. I've heard great things about Keogh, and he's just the type of player I want to see. Very happy with our first four signings, basically!

Now we need a high profile one to bring the miserable fans back...

• Paid Members
Whats Cov fans take on signing Richard Keogh?

Great defender when applies himself but has a very long list of Personal Demons... Still he has been around for a while and is only 23

He also has more time for his agent than any manager that will take him.

• Paid Members
Care to expand?

Sky Andrew got in his ear that he was worth more elsewhere so he stonewalled a contract extension and sat to rot before being farmed out on loan to Carlisle and other places. The Champ is virign territory for someone who has managed to get ONE permanent deal at League One level in the last 5 years. Talented if he puts the work in, but if he does much more than the voice in his head will start feeling around. Getting Coventry promoted will almost more likely trigger looks to other teams at the top level instead of from.

• Paid Members

Nigel Pearson is officially the new manager of Hull City. After being threatened with Paul Hart, I'm fucking delighted. Only note of caution is that every time we've taken a decent manager from elsewhere, it's been a disaster.

Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

Bradford have added Jake Speight to the squad this morning, striker signed from Mansfield for actual money (25k.. the first time we've paid for a player in god knows how long) he scored 17 in 15 starts in the blue square premier last year, but sounds a bit like a loose cannon to me, refused to play for Mansfield unless they granted him his move according to their chairman.

but he could be a decent foil for James Hanson, our version of Crouchy.

• Paid Members

I lot of fans down here in Leicester are fuming with Pearson leaving. Most of them see it as a side step at best. Must be a money issue with Mandaric because I really cant see why he'd choose Hull over a Leicester at the current moment.

• Paid Members
I lot of fans down here in Leicester are fuming with Pearson leaving. Most of them see it as a side step at best. Must be a money issue with Mandaric because I really cant see why he'd choose Hull over a Leicester at the current moment.

IMO we have a better squad of players. Also, our financial issues are well reported but Leicester aren't in any better a state, they can't even run a reserve team. We do at least have the comfort of 4 years of parachute money.

I'm actually getting a bit fed up with Leicester fans bad mouthing Hull. Leicester aren't a big club. Martin O'Neill punches above their weight for a few years and they think they're Manchester United!

We (Notts County) have just signed up Ben Burgess from Blackpool and John Spicer from Doncaster. Anyone qualified to give an opinion on these two?

Ben Burgess has been around a while and should be a replacementish for Lee Hughes

6ft plus and will hustle and bustle when necessary and can play a bit. Decent signing tbh Tiger Rick can prol add more

John Spicer seen a few times for Bournemouth after his move from Arsenal, has the skills, but comes up short. There is something that doesnt sit right about him. he has bounced around clubs and doesnt stay anywhere for long. Could be a good signing more than likely to drift away as the season goes on and then end up somewhere else.

Injury Prone and I guess his graduating classes 'David Noble' Ie a player with promise who has slipped down the leagues.

Whats peeps opinions on Huddersfield this year.. theyve kept Novak and made some astute signings.. Heck even Bristol Rovers are doing that (good signings). Will Hoskins should be good for them a

• Paid Members
We (Notts County) have just signed up Ben Burgess from Blackpool and John Spicer from Doncaster. Anyone qualified to give an opinion on these two?

I mentioned Big Ben in the transfer thread. I think he's an outstanding signing. For a big lad, (cliche alert) he's got great feet. He had a serious injury during his time with us and he lost a bit of his mobility so he's worked hard on his heading. I don't think he compares to Lee Hughes, Hughes is all about getting in behind defenders. Burgess is more likely to play in front of defenders, hold the ball up and lay off passes and headers. He's a good finisher too though.

This is my favourite Burgess goal, the first against Oxford in a (then) Division 3 top of the table clash:

Closely followed by this outstanding piece of skill against the mighty Kiddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kOShFENidw#t=0m51s

Archived