Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

It's a bit of a sorry situation but if a fighter isn't going to generate much of anything in terms of ticket sales or fan interest the UFC simply isnt gonna keep them around. Especially if they are demanding a fair wedge like Fitch was. Dana's speech about him being a fighter on the downturn was bollocks really when you consider that they keep guys like Jim Miller and Diego Sanchez on the roster despite being way past their best. What he really meant to say was 'Fitch is boring as fuck'. He can never say he wasn't given a fair shot at it though.

Jared Rosholt got the boot last week despite losing 1 in something like 5 because he offered nothing really. Shit but you can see why they did it.

It's the same in boxing really, there has been countless top boxers over the years who have been pushed aside or looked over because they simply don't generate money.

Askren is a different case. Boring as his style may be, Askren has the kind of personality that id have loved to have had in the UFC. I think he simply shot himself in the foot by simply being a bit of an arse. Fairly certain he's getting well compensated for in One Championship though.

It's a bit of a sorry situation but if a fighter isn't going to generate much of anything in terms of ticket sales or fan interest the UFC simply isnt gonna keep them around. Especially if they are demanding a fair wedge like Fitch was. Dana's speech about him being a fighter on the downturn was bollocks really when you consider that they keep guys like Jim Miller and Diego Sanchez on the roster despite being way past their best. What he really meant to say was 'Fitch is boring as fuck'. He can never say he wasn't given a fair shot at it though.

I'm not sure that those reasons were entirely behind the UFC releasing him to be honest.

Fitch was pretty vocal about a fighters union, and is even an original plaintiff in a lawsuit against Zuffa for unfair labour practices. On top of that, does anyone remember that he was actually released from his contract back in 2008 or something due to his unwillingness to sign over lifetime rights to his likeness and name to Zuffa for the new UFC videogame?

Basically, he's a rabble rouser. He irked Dana by making noises about fighter pay, fighter unions, the terms of their contracts, and his refusal to just sign away his rights for next to nothing.

• Paid Members

Didnt the fighter pay thing come after he was released? I cant really remember.

I dont think Fitch was released due to the game thing, it might not have helped though. Genuine question though, what did Jon Fitch have to gain by not being on the video game?

• Paid Members

Fitch was released over the video game thing in 2008. Actually I think Dana threw a right strop and was going to completely sever all ties between the UFC and AKA over it. Pretty sure they sacked Cain at the same time. If my memory is right the only AKA fighter who was going to escape the axe was Koscheck because he'd stepped in a few times on short notice and helped them out.

Obviously, it got worked out in the end and the AKA guys were all back in the UFC before they could even go elsewhere. It wasn't the reason for Fitch being released in 2013, obviously, but I think what Dave's getting at is that it's another example that Fitch was the type to speak up if he didn't like something. I'm sure it made Dana's decision easier to sack him after the Maia loss. Boring fight style, tough to market, declining, coming off a lopsided loss to Maia AND he's outspoken on fighter pay, likeness rights etc? Yeah, you're gone at the first opportunity you give them.

• Paid Members

oh yeh, it was two seperate occasions.

Ben Askren fights this guys friday, http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Nikolay-Aleksakhin-81558

don't recognise any names on his record but any Russian with that kind of record is gonna be tough. Asken will likely do his thing though, i'll be checking it out.

5mMCDJ7.jpg

Bellator on Saturday too, it's the first Italian show. They have an MMA and kickboxing on the show, despite being on the same card the two cards are being advertised as seperate shows rather than a hybrid Dynamite like card. I think the MMA portion will air on Spike this week on Saturday, then the kickboxing airs on a 7 day delay which is a bit shit, i'll avoid results though because the kickboxing portion should be worth a look...Melvin Manheof and Raymond Daniels on the show.

P6m4yWm.png

Patricky Pitbull vs. Edimilson Silva

Brian Rogers vs. Allesio Sakara

Danillo Belluardo vs. A.J. McKee

Anastasia Yankova vs. Anjela Pink

Daniele Miceli vs. Daniele Scatizzi

** edit **

Fuck me, Glory 29 is this weekend too. Im away all weekend, gonna have to have a session on the fights when i get back.

Glory_29_poster.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

Here's the card for tonights Cage Warriors show if anyone's interested.

Jack Hermansson v Alan Carlos (Cage Warriors middleweight title)

Paddy Pimblett v Ashleigh Grimshaw (featherweight)

Brad Wheeler v Scott Clist (catchweight 159lbs)

Chris Fishgold v Jordan Miller (lightweight)

Darren Stewart v James Hurrell (light heavyweight)

Alfie Davis v Terry Doyle (lightweight)

Seen most of the Cage Warriors show last night. It's a really fun show, can't tell you enough to at least take a look at the final 4/5 fights.

Also Paddy Pimblett at 21 looked the absolute fucking business. UFC inbound within a year.

Also Paddy Pimblett at 21 looked the absolute fucking business. UFC inbound within a year.

100% with you. He's one of those fighters that you see once and you realise straight away that you're seeing something special. He's loaded with personality too. Future UFC star written all over him.

• Moderators

Conqueror of DADA-5000, Kimbo Slice, will be taking on James "Colossus" Thompson in a rematch of their ELITEXC classic from a few years back in the main event of the Bellator London show. A fight to get excited about, this one.

Edited by PowerButchi