CHIKARA: The Offical Thread

Boon Town Rat

• Paid Members

It's worked out well for me because I was staying with mates in Wolves anyway! It does suck for people who have already sorted travel and accommodation for Birmingham although it's not so far away that you couldn't still use the same hotel (and if you're travelling via train/coach, you'll probably have to change at Birmingham anyway).

That said, I was chatting to a guy at the FCP Elite Friday who had traveled from Germany and booked a hotel in Birmingham thinking it was close enough - he had to miss the end of the show to catch the last train so that must have sucked.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, the issue will be with what time the shows finish - if they finish too late to get a train back to Birmingham, you're stuffed.

For me, I'll likely have to fly over on the Thursday anyway, and I'd be flying to Birmingham regardless, so it's just the additional train into Wolverhampton I'd have to factor in. But staying at the Premier Inn in Wolves will work out cheaper than staying in Birmingham anyway, so probably works out alright for me, just an extra bit of travel.

I can absolutely understand why people are so frustrated, though - and it doesn't help when we're already paying up to £75 a ticket just for one night of three, with, so far, only four times announced. My main worry when they announced it would be in the UK was that we'd end up with "just" CHIKARA teams and a couple of token UK teams which, while I'm sure it'll make for a great show, part of the appeal of King of Trios is the range of people they sometimes book, the "random" names that could show up, and the opportunity to see people you never thought you'd get a chance to see.

So far the teams they've announced are;

House Calamari (Chris Brookes, Kid Lykos and Travis Banks)
House Rot (Frightmare, Hallowicked and Kobald)
House Sendai Girls (Cassandra Miyagi, Dash Chisako and Meiko Satomura)
House Xyberhawx (Nytehawk, Razerhawk and Sylverhawk)

No complaints about any of those teams - though I do find it funny that, earlier this year, I forked out to go and see EVE for the first time for what I thought would be a "once in a lifetime" chance to see Meiko Satomura live, and now I could potentially see her wrestle five times this year - but Xyberhawx are recent CHIKARA rookies who aren't going to sell a ticket to anyone, House Rot are all great, but expected CHIKARA guys who have worked the UK tours before, and the CCK trio are great to have in there, but no one's paying £75 to see guys they could see in the same venue for £20 a couple of weeks later.

I know there's still a couple of months to go, but I'd like to see another couple of trios announced that make it feel worth it - a big/surprising enough name would go a long way in appeasing the people pissed off about the price and change of venue.

Urgh, this is rather frustrating! I'm in the same boat as Benny here, not at all enthused by the prospect of ending up sat in the back rows on the floor. Like, if that was the only seat available when I was looking at buying a ticket, I would've given it a miss. Hopefully they offer some sort of incentives if this does indeed turn out to be the case. If not, surely there'll be a decent argument for getting a refund if you're ending up with a seat with a substandard view compared to the ticket you originally paid for...

Yeah. It's only fair. Just have a window open to claim a refund. A lot like when tours get postponed and they offer refunds if you can't make it. I had been considering it for a day, but I think I'll leave it now. At least I hadn't booked anything.

Flying in from Ireland and pretty sick so far reading on this. 

Have they confirmed the Sunday start time yet does anyone know?

It f*****g better be an afternoon show as it was meant to be originally. This was my whole reason for going - so the show would be over around 5 or 6 and I could fly home at 8.30 that night.

If the Sunday show now becomes a night show I miss the f*****g King of Trios finale and will just have to fly home while it's happening - brilliant. Colossal waste of time and money. What sort of shams do this?!

*** Edit - According to their site, sunday is still at 3. http://chikarapro.com/node/11207 - Although it seems they've merely just updated the old webpage to change the location text. I don't trust them on the time til I hear it!

8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

CHIKARA normally have a no-refund policy, as far as I know, but you'd think they'd have to waive it for something like this.

If they've changed venues, especially to another town and don't offer refunds, then they'd not only be shits, but breaking the law.  If it changes time they're obligated to offer refunds too.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, The Dart said:

If they've changed venues, especially to another town and don't offer refunds, then they'd not only be shits, but breaking the law.  If it changes time they're obligated to offer refunds too.

Yeah, I imagine for something like this they'd have to. I've just seen the "no refunds" thing floated around on Twitter.

CHIKARA do aim for afternoon shows where possible, because of the family-friendly angle, especially on a Sunday. Obviously no guarantee of that until it's announced, but I'd be optimistic.

9 hours ago, The Dart said:

Depends where the tickets were purchased from. If they were purchased direct from Chikara then UK law probably doesn't apply.

http://www.star.org.uk/consumeradvice/buyingonline#Who

Is the company registered in the UK?
Read the company's Terms and Conditions; if sales are made under non-UK law, you may not have the same consumer protection as you would with a UK-registered company.

Obviously the ethical thing to do would be to issue refunds to anyone who can't attend the new venue, but ethics and pro wrestling promoters don't always play nicely together.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Trios was bloody lovely. The final was one of the best matches I've ever seen live, Quack/Kidd was a delight, some genuine surprises with the guys from White Wolf being the breakout stars of the weekend, and Johnny Moss being an unexpected highlight of night one.

Lots of what CHIKARA do better than just about anyone, and that's crowd interaction; Razorhawk running around in full gear, chatting in character to anyone who'd listen, handing out business cards and generally being hilarious was as much fun as any of the wrestling, and the Fan Conclave was brilliant - kids in lucha masks playing Pictionary and having crab-walking races with wrestlers? Wrestler vs. fan games of Fire Pro? Top stuff!

I'd have thought that three solid days of wrestling would make me want to take a bit of time away from it all, but I just want to do it again!

Archived