The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

going to see Sepultura next Friday night and i'm fucking excited...It's a bit of a full circle thing for me, the first band i ever saw was Sepultura in '96, so to be seeing em 14 years later is pretty wild :) I know there's only 2 of that band remaining but that's besides the point :p

anyone else a fan of Sepultura since Max left? i feel that many people completely abandoned Sepultura and followed Max into following Soulfly at the time, it was like a proper team thing 'us or them', pretty stupid if you ask me. If im honest i prefered Soulfly to begin with, then i completely lost interest in them (but ive recently got back into them with their last few albums which are great), i bought 'Against' (first post Max Sepultura album), and it's a strange listen, it is and was a patch album but it does have its moments. I've kind of dabbled with their albums since until recently where i've been listening to a lot of Sepultura. of the two bands post-Max, Sepultura have definately put out the more interesting/challenging music and some of it is fucking killer, i wish more people would listen to it.

A good example is my housemate who will not listen to Sepultura with Derrick Green, it took some persuading to get him to come to the show next week...even though the band's set is pretty much half new stuff, half old Max stuff.

Gonna be a good fucking show, it's been a long time coming because ive always missed Sepultura everytime they've come over in the past 14 years.

Fuck yeh! :thumbsup:

going to see Sepultura next Friday night and i'm fucking excited...It's a bit of a full circle thing for me, the first band i ever saw was Sepultura in '96, so to be seeing em 14 years later is pretty wild :) I know there's only 2 of that band remaining but that's besides the point :p

anyone else a fan of Sepultura since Max left? i feel that many people completely abandoned Sepultura and followed Max into following Soulfly at the time, it was like a proper team thing 'us or them', pretty stupid if you ask me. If im honest i prefered Soulfly to begin with, then i completely lost interest in them (but ive recently got back into them with their last few albums which are great), i bought 'Against' (first post Max Sepultura album), and it's a strange listen, it is and was a patch album but it does have its moments. I've kind of dabbled with their albums since until recently where i've been listening to a lot of Sepultura. of the two bands post-Max, Sepultura have definately put out the more interesting/challenging music and some of it is fucking killer, i wish more people would listen to it.

A good example is my housemate who will not listen to Sepultura with Derrick Green, it took some persuading to get him to come to the show next week...even though the band's set is pretty much half new stuff, half old Max stuff.

Gonna be a good fucking show, it's been a long time coming because ive always missed Sepultura everytime they've come over in the past 14 years.

Wanted to go and see Soulfly who played here a few weeks back, but my gigging days are pretty much over....

Seen the Derrick Sepultura twice ( he has been in the band as long as Max was, 13 years a peice). Once of the back of 'Against' and once off 'Roorback' iirc.

They were are pretty good and with all the guest vocals and whathave you since 'Roots' it was easier to accept Max not singing the 1996 Donnington Performance with Andreas on Vocals was also pretty good.

They still put (or at least did) on a good show and have some fucking great support.. the support for the 'against' was 'Psy-Core' who were pretty good.

Ive not listened to Dantes XI or A-Lex as can never locate the fuckers to buy in the flesh for a decent price... Lower distribution since the move to SPV and then Steamhammer.. are making them a bitch to find.

But I liked, Against, Nation and Roorback (Post Max)

I'm one of those "Us or them fans" I never liked Sepultra after Max left, i did try ! I had the pleasure to see them before Max left the band.. Bloody awesome

I've just got my ticket to see Soulfly play in stoke of all places next month! i maybe 30 but i'll be the one starting the pit!

• Paid Members

Anybody else catch the Rock Am Ring 09 Slipknot set that was on MTV HD last night? Pretty badass. Its on again Thursday at 1AM for those that are interested. Word of warning though the EPG says its from 1 to 2 AM but its actually around 40 mins longer than that so if you are SKY+ing it do a longer manual record if you want the entire thing. Have a look out for the Prodigy HD set from RAR09 as well, I've had that for a few months on SKY+ and its freaking awesome.

• Paid Members

Wanted to go and see Soulfly who played here a few weeks back, but my gigging days are pretty much over....

Seen the Derrick Sepultura twice ( he has been in the band as long as Max was, 13 years a peice). Once of the back of 'Against' and once off 'Roorback' iirc.

They were are pretty good and with all the guest vocals and whathave you since 'Roots' it was easier to accept Max not singing the 1996 Donnington Performance with Andreas on Vocals was also pretty good.

They still put (or at least did) on a good show and have some fucking great support.. the support for the 'against' was 'Psy-Core' who were pretty good.

Ive not listened to Dantes XI or A-Lex as can never locate the fuckers to buy in the flesh for a decent price... Lower distribution since the move to SPV and then Steamhammer.. are making them a bitch to find.

But I liked, Against, Nation and Roorback (Post Max)

why?

why?

Cos of my cripplematiseditis.. Kinda balls things up for the gigging aspect :( Not gunna take sticks.. not chair bound.. so no chance.

Pubs are fine cos I can sit .. anywhere else for get it :(

As for location.. Used to be close to South Wales

Am NW Soulfly played 53 Degrees in Preston on 18th May.

• Paid Members

saw Sepultura last night, absolutely outstanding.it was one of them gigs which totally re-affirms your faith in metal/the band, it just fucking crushed from beginning till end. Just one song in they rolled out Arise/RefuseResist/Dead Embryonic Cells on the bounce, great. I'd pretty much expected what kind of songs to expect because i'd looked at recent setlists, but when they unexpectedly busted out Ratamahatta in the encore i lost my shit. Venue was rammed too, great to see the band get such a good reaction. It fucking blew my expectations out of the water.fuck yes.

• Paid Members

Just got an email from High Voltage announcing the set times and i am gutted about Heaven and Hell being on 25 minutes before Black Label Society!

Still, on the plus side i get to see ZZ Top. Anyone else going?

Ozzy Osbourne and Tony Iommi have settled their lawsuits over the Black Sabbath name. According to a statement, the pair have "amicably resolved their problems", discontinuing court proceedings in New York.

Iommi, Black Sabbath's only constant member, registered the US trademark for the band name in 2000. Osbourne only seems to have discovered this last year, when he launched a suit demanding a share of the rights and royalties. "Please do the right thing," he asked the guitarist, who claimed that Osbourne had relinquished his right to the name, having quit the band several times before.

It took a tragedy to push the pair toward reconciliation: following the death of Ronnie James Dio, who replaced Osbourne in Black Sabbath, the singer was moved to patch things up with Iommi.

"Sharon took my car into town yesterday, and she found a cell phone of mine in the car that I never fucking use," Osbourne told Kerrang in May. "There were two messages on it from Tony, one of them from the day Ronnie died. The message started with: 'I have a bit of bad news.' I'll have to call Tony back soon."

Although Iommi and Osbourne did not provide details of their court settlement, they are "glad to put this behind them and to co-operate together for the future". "The issue was never personal," they insisted. "It was always business."

Source: The Guardian

It's good to see these two finally burying the hatchet.

At least one good thing seems to have come about from Dio's death.

• Paid Members

As the quote says "it was always business" and now that Dio is dead there is no money in the Black Sabbath name without Ozzy.

It's not like anyone is clamouring for a Sabbath tour with Tony Martin singing is it?

Horribly cynical move once again by Sharon and Ozzy.

Edited by martyngnr