The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

been listening to The Haunted the past few days, one of them bands i love but i go through periods of time where i don't listen to em.

I bought 'Warning Shots' last week, which is a Earache Records comp. which has like a best of the first 3 albums, plus a bonus disk of unreleased/live tracks (which is what led to the purchase). The best of. is fucking brilliant though, each of them first 3 albums sound so different in terms of production it could be 3 different bands, but every tune is a fucking belter. Great little cd, and i recommend anyone who hasn't heard The Haunted to pick it up.

The%20Haunted%20-%20Warning%20Shots.jpg

any fans?

I never have been a fan of The Haunted, in any incarnation. One of these bands that seem to hold onto heritage, in The Haunteds case its At The Gates. I even tried them last year at Bloodstock but didnt do anything for me. But sticking with the theme of the thread, Obituary-World Demise, end of.

Yeah I've been listening to Disturbed's new one and I'm enjoying it. I was stuck in morning traffic when the bonus track started and it kept me smiling all day. Although listens since, the surprise and magic of the song have all but been lost. But then listening to the cover made me go and load up the original on youtube, and a lot of the recent comments were about how people had never heard of the song and were only introduced to it by Disturbed's cover, which was automatically better because it's more "metal" and all.....

IT'S U2'S I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR, IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE METAL, AND HOW THE FUCK HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD THIS SONG YOU TEENAGE BRAINDEAD CUNTS WHO ARE STILL LOOKING FOR SOME DECENT MUSICAL TASTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

................ Ahem, yeah.

I realize I just fully lost any metal cred for admitting to still liking Disturbed, but I see them more hard rock than anything now and they are a band I've grown up with since my teenage musical years.

I'm also enjoying the new Maiden album, it's got to be their best since BNW.

But I noted earlier in the thread someone thought Blaze's solo albums were better than any Bruce ever did? Uh, Accident Of Birth is the best Iron Maiden that isn't Maiden album since Seventh Son, and Chemical Wedding was a lot grittier and darker than anything Blaze has ever done.

And as for The Haunted, I preferred their second singer. One Kill Wonder was great. Shame I never got to see that version live, but I have seen the Dolvig version live several times and they're decent in a support act slot.

• Paid Members
And as for The Haunted, I preferred their second singer. One Kill Wonder was great. Shame I never got to see that version live, but I have seen the Dolvig version live several times and they're decent in a support act slot.

yeh i prefer the second singer (Marco Aro), more direct and to the point...both albums with him are fucking classics of the genre in my opinion. On stage i'd say Dolvings the better frontman and he's techincally the better singer (technical might be the wrong word, interesting?), but i always liked Aro.

• Paid Members
I never have been a fan of The Haunted, in any incarnation. One of these bands that seem to hold onto heritage, in The Haunteds case its At The Gates[/b/I even tried them last year at Bloodstock but didnt do anything for me. But sticking with the theme of the thread, Obituary-World Demise, end of.

nothing wrong with that :D

Having just listened to At the Gates- Slaughter of the soul, it all sounds too familiar. You can look at this either one of two ways, their either hugely influential or before their time. To be honest i feel that ive heard it all before, once a great band, no At the Gates blend into the crowd. Now listening to Disgorge-chronic corpora infest. Mexican death metal at its most vile :-D

Didn't really know where to put this, I guess they're kind of metal, but Mike Portnoy has quit Dream Theater. I'm totally gutted about that, he wanted a break but the others didn't so he decided to leave. Can't have been an easy decision for him given everything he's out into that band, it's really hard to imagine them without him. They're going to continue with thier plans for a new album and world tour next year, but who the hell do you get to replace Mike Portnoy?!

Having just listened to At the Gates- Slaughter of the soul, it all sounds too familiar. You can look at this either one of two ways, their either hugely influential or before their time. To be honest i feel that ive heard it all before, once a great band, no At the Gates blend into the crowd. Now listening to Disgorge-chronic corpora infest. Mexican death metal at its most vile :-D

I love at the gates but i think they have been ripped off & borrowed from by alot of bands that have gone on to be more sucessfull