The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

going on a bit of a roadtrip/gig trip in June...i got the week off, as has my housemate, so we're doing a 3 day trek to see the following:

13/6 - Anvil in Manchester

14/6 - 3 Inches of Blood in Southampton

15/6 - Trigger The Bloodshed in Wolverhampton

we would add extra ones in but we have tickets booked for Alton Towers on the friday. Should be a fun few days, 3 very different metal bands too :)

3 Inches of Blood are one of the most underrated metal bands on the planet, i dont give a fuck what anybody says.

• Paid Members

Have you heard the new album yet? it's a completely different band just with the same vocalist, they've changed their style a little bit and it's fucking great, it aint as heavy as it once was, has a bit of an old-school Iron Maiden feel.

outstanding stuff.

I'm getting excited for Download now.

A lot of people have complained about the line up (you cant please everyone) but personally theres a lots I want to see. Main ones being AC/DC, Megadeth, Saxon, Motorhead, Aersomith, Suicidal Tendencies, Taking Dawn, Lamb of God, Cancer Bats, As I Lay Dying, Billy Idol, The Damned Things, Airbourne, Dillinger Escape Plan, Slash and Ratt.

If I get to see a good few of those then I will be happy. To be honest I made my decision off the back of AC/DC alone so anything else on top of that is just gravy :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Download has a great lineup but it's pretty weird, the whole main stage is basically old school bands, or new bands who play old school music...it works for me, but i can see why a lot of people who just like new stuff would be a bit pissed.

all the new/scene bands are tucked away on the 2nd and 3rd stages...the fact that the 2nd stage is outdoor means that i wouldn't complain about it either way, ive never been a fan of watching bands in tents at festivals.

Have you heard the new album yet? it's a completely different band just with the same vocalist, they've changed their style a little bit and it's fucking great, it aint as heavy as it once was, has a bit of an old-school Iron Maiden feel.

outstanding stuff.

Yes, got to hear 2 tracks from the last album and there take on a more classic sound wasn't bad at all but it didn't really made me want to check the whole album.

There were some maliscious lies/rumours floating around this morning about Ronnie James Dio, but the truth doesn't look as good either:

After a flood of rumors started spreading via the Internet late Saturday that Dio had lost cancer fight, BLABBERMOUTH.NET reached out to Ronnie's wife/manager Wendy Dio, who sent back the following message at approximately 2:35 a.m. EST on Sunday, May 16:

"I am at the hospital and Ronnie has NOT passed away!!!! He is not doing good, but he is not dead.

"I will let you know if anything changes.

"Thank you for your concern."

I am so glad I got to see Dio live the once - When he played all of Holy Diver - and Heaven & Hell twice.

Download has a great lineup but it's pretty weird, the whole main stage is basically old school bands, or new bands who play old school music...it works for me, but i can see why a lot of people who just like new stuff would be a bit pissed.

all the new/scene bands are tucked away on the 2nd and 3rd stages...the fact that the 2nd stage is outdoor means that i wouldn't complain about it either way, ive never been a fan of watching bands in tents at festivals.

its just down to wanting to represent the 30 years of rock at Donnington, and some people are having a bitch about it for no real reason.

As soon as AC/DC were confirmed i was there. they are the last major rock act for to tick off my list to see, and seeing Aerosmith again is going to great.

If people just want to se the here and now, Sonisphere have still got plenty of tickets left.

Actually, having said that, that seems a little harsh, as i'd probably go to that too if i could afford both. Download just seems to have a wider varity of big names and relative unknowns. There are a lot of bands that I have not heard of and am looking forward to seeing to try and find something new thats mabye going to blow me away.

Whereas Sonisphere are just throwing money around and getting the big names, you can't help but feel that they could end up 1PW-ing themselves.

I used to go to Bloodstock but have stopped just becasue of the people that you get going their, i.e. snobby 'real' metal fans

• Paid Members

its just down to wanting to represent the 30 years of rock at Donnington, and some people are having a bitch about it for no real reason.

One of the reasons most of the people i know are pissed off about Download is down to the lack of full line-up for the Friday. Unless AC/DC, TCV and Wolfmother are planning to play 3 hour sets then people have a right to fell slightly ripped off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

been cranking this the past few days...

bloodsimple.jpg

i completely neglected this when it came out, i was not a big lover of the first Bloodsimple album so i never really gave it a chance. Maybe it was something to do with the fact that i was a big Vision of Disorder fan, and Bloodsimple wasn't Vision of Disorder (the band feature VOD vocalist Tim Williams and guitarist Mike Kennedy). But ive been listening to this and fuck me, it's a belter. The album does kind of follow on from the direction that VOD went on their last album (which pissed off longtime fans), but it's just heavy, catchy, grooving metal. I'm loving it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

did my little 'Heavy Metal' trek that i mentioned at the top of the page, it was very good.

Anvil were absolutely outstanding. I'll be honest, i only know of them because of the documentary, but the venue seemed packed with genuine Anvil fans, the Academy was packed and i was probably the youngest person in there (i'm 28). I thought the show was be good for a few tunes then kind of fizzle out due to me not being that familiar with the material...how wrong was I? the band were great, one thing that documentary does not do is show just how good a band Anvil are (it kind of plays em off as a joke), entertaining stuff.

A few pages back i mentioned how i though 3 Inches of Blood were one of the most underrated bands in metal, after seeing em in Southampton it confirmed they are one of the most underrated bands. Cam Pipes has put a great new no-nonscence band together and they just fucking crushed. They've got 4 quality albums worth of material to draw so there was no dud tunes in site. Southampton Joiners was a wicked venue too, great sound in there which just emphasised how fucking tight the band are.

Trigger The Bloodshed in Wolverhampton then....what a come down. Absolute fucking shite. I've heard bits and pieces of them and they sound like a standard deathcore type band (there's hundreds of bands who look and sound exactly the same). It's just so mediocre, seems like heavyness for heavyness' sake, nothing in the way of a decent tune in the whole set. Maybe it was cause i'd spent 3 days travelling before i saw em, i dunno but they were shit...and the support bands were even worse.

Good few days though :)

did my little 'Heavy Metal' trek that i mentioned at the top of the page, it was very good.

Anvil were absolutely outstanding. I'll be honest, i only know of them because of the documentary, but the venue seemed packed with genuine Anvil fans, the Academy was packed and i was probably the youngest person in there (i'm 28). I thought the show was be good for a few tunes then kind of fizzle out due to me not being that familiar with the material...how wrong was I? the band were great, one thing that documentary does not do is show just how good a band Anvil are (it kind of plays em off as a joke), entertaining stuff.

Glad you enjoyed your trip Anvil were amazing.

Unfortunatly you were probably 3rd youngest there as im only 21 lol