The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I've been listening to this old classic loads this week...

Katatonia-Brave.jpg

Fucking badass!

Went to see Katatonia last week in Manc, my mate had a spare ticket so I went along after only hearing the odd song. It was well good, really talented musicians and they have the 'tunes' to back it up. Must get into them more

Went to Edguy with White Wizzard as support at the Cathouse last night. Not the biggest fan of power metal but I was blown away by the energy of Tobi and the band, White Wizzard look very promising as a throwback band with a strong single in Over The Top.

Edguy fuckin rule. Would love to see them live but they never come anywhere near the North East. Got Tobi as a facebook friend :nerd:

• 2 weeks later...
I've noticed a lot of Iron Maiden talk on here, and no love for the two records which featured Blaze Bayley on vocals. A lot of people say that he didn't suit Iron Maiden, especially as they took on a different style from the Bruce Dickinson stuff, but Steve Harris was pretty accommodating and wrote around Blaze's voice.

Anyways, I'd reccommend any of Blaze Bayleys solo stuff, his latest album "Promise and Terror" is amazing, and the one before "The Man Who Would Not Die" is just as good. Then again, I'm a fan boy and would tell any metal fan to go pick up any one of his 5 studio albums.

Some tracks to listen out for:

God of Speed

Blackmailer

Smile Back at Death

Stare at the Sun

Robot

Watching the Night Sky

Born as a Stranger

The Man Who Would Not Die

the problem that Bayley faced in Maiden was that the fans were never going to accept him as a replacement for Bruce due to thier own inverted snobbery.Steve harris could have written epic tune after epic tune and Blaze Bayley could have put on perfect vocals, but the maiden 'hardcore' would have crawed "but he isn't Bruce Dickinson!"

Blaze's solo stuff is very good for the most part. 'Silicon Messiah' is a great album for the most part, and the follw up, 'Tenth Dimension', is one of the best metal albums I have ever heard, and I still listen to it constantly.

The third solo album, 'Blood And Belief', was a major step-back in my opinion. It has decent moments in 'Ten Seconds' and the ultra powerful 'Regret' (Bayley's emotion , considering everything that was going on in his life at that time, in that song is a wonder to behold), but very little else is memorable and it just comes across as sloppy work. The line-up on the first two albums was a very strong one, and after Rob Naylor and Jeff Singer left, it really showed on the recording of that album, and then he made the colossal error of getting rid of Andy Sneep because he "couldn't make them sound good". Sorry, but if Andy Sneep can't make you sound good, then no-one can.

He is back on the right track now that he has got a decent band behind him again with Nick & Dave Bermudez and getting in a decent guitar player and drummer (the guys he had on his Alive In Poland DVD seemed to be guys he found in the pub at the last minute). 'The Man Who Would Not Die' was a strong starting block for the new band, and 'Promise And Terror' is another step in the right direction.

• Paid Members

20090311142505_song_album.jpg

dug that out of an old box of my cd's the other day and it's blowing me away once more. The album still sounds as fresh today as it did when it was released, fucking incredible band.

One of the UK's most underrated metal acts ever, i don't give a fuck what anybody says.

Edited by Ebb

20090311142505_song_album.jpg

dug that out of an old box of my cd's the other day and it's blowing me away once more. The album still sounds as fresh today as it did when it was released, fucking incredible band.

One of the UK's most underrated metal acts ever, i don't give a fuck what anybody says.

Yeah i still listen to Earthtone9 reguarly. I'm not quite sure why they were never more popular than they were. I saw them in a 300 capacity venue and there was about 75 people there. Still a great gig though! Is Karl Middeton (i think thats the singer) in any band atm. I seem to remember The Blueprint but i don't think they are still about.