The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
So i've listened to Master of Puppets. And i really wasn't that impressed, it's ok i guess. It's the vocals that i don't like and it puts me off nearly any Metallica song.

As for Slayer, love them. Yeah alot of there stuff is the same but it's great. I like all their albums.

I'd recommend Beneath the Remains by Sepultura if you prefer Slayer to Metallica, you may like the two previous albums by them but the production is a lot less and they have more of a death metal sound.

I own Beneath the Remains, and as you mentioned it, realised i haven't listened to it in ages. And after listening to it today, i should listen to it alot more reguarly. Awesome album!

I have quite a few friends into metal but we all seem to have pretty different tastes. Theres still plenty of bands/songs we can agree on that we can listen to when at someones house.

yeh, im somone who got into Sepultura through Chaos A.D. & Roots, now ive firmly changed my stance and prefer their thrash orientated stuff. I think i prefer Arise to Beneath The Remains, but it's a toss up. Desperate Cry is one of the best thrash songs ever imo.

I've been listening to the Derreck Greene era stuff recently. The band have pretty much carved out their own niche now. Most fans can't see past the fact that Max isn't in there anymore. I think it's more a case of, you have to look at it as a new band. They lost their chief songwriter and vocalist, so the new stuff is a little different. They keep some of the Sepultura elements in place, but there's definatly a new twist on the sound.

I've been listening to Roorback...

17867.jpg

it's a pretty good album. There's no denying though that the best tunes on this are the ones where they just let off the shackles and pick the speed up. The Rift is a fucking tune, get it.

I'm gonna go see the band in May, first time since '96! i'm looking forward to it.

So i've listened to Master of Puppets. And i really wasn't that impressed, it's ok i guess. It's the vocals that i don't like and it puts me off nearly any Metallica song.

As for Slayer, love them. Yeah alot of there stuff is the same but it's great. I like all their albums.

I'd recommend Beneath the Remains by Sepultura if you prefer Slayer to Metallica, you may like the two previous albums by them but the production is a lot less and they have more of a death metal sound.

I own Beneath the Remains, and as you mentioned it, realised i haven't listened to it in ages. And after listening to it today, i should listen to it alot more reguarly. Awesome album!

I have quite a few friends into metal but we all seem to have pretty different tastes. Theres still plenty of bands/songs we can agree on that we can listen to when at someones house.

yeh, im somone who got into Sepultura through Chaos A.D. & Roots, now ive firmly changed my stance and prefer their thrash orientated stuff. I think i prefer Arise to Beneath The Remains, but it's a toss up. Desperate Cry is one of the best thrash songs ever imo.

I've been listening to the Derreck Greene era stuff recently. The band have pretty much carved out their own niche now. Most fans can't see past the fact that Max isn't in there anymore. I think it's more a case of, you have to look at it as a new band. They lost their chief songwriter and vocalist, so the new stuff is a little different. They keep some of the Sepultura elements in place, but there's definatly a new twist on the sound.

I've been listening to Roorback...

17867.jpg

it's a pretty good album. There's no denying though that the best tunes on this are the ones where they just let off the shackles and pick the speed up. The Rift is a fucking tune, get it.

I'm gonna go see the band in May, first time since '96! i'm looking forward to it.

have you got the 2 disc version? the 2nd disc has a brilliant exodus cover track

Here's one for ya:

History of a Time to Come or Dreamweaver (Reflections of Our Yesterdays) ?

So no one knows what I'm talking about?

Of course. Sabbat are fantastic. I'm actually paying money to see Arch Enemy to see Sabbat and Enslaved. Sabbat have AMAZING lyrics for a thrash band. Such as in "Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?"

I saw Sabbat when they re-united to support Cradle Of Filth. It was a warm up gig they did just before the tour started in Nottingham for just a fiver and they played for an hour and then mingled with the fans afterwards.

Apparently it was taped and I was very fortunate enough to be there front row centre..... But I'm losing hope on it ever being released.

Not like I'm bragging or anything.....

Purposely ignoring the Roorback discussions because of the awesome 'Angel' cover

Moving on to Random Iron Maiden songs of the day?

1. Chains of Misery- Fear of the Dark

2. Hooks in You- No Prayer for the Dying

3. Purgatory- Killers

4. Gangland- Number of the Beast

5. Deja Vu- Somewhere in Time

6. Deja Vu- Somewhere in Time

7. The Aftermath- X Factor

8. Revelations- Piece of Mind

9. Two Worlds Collide- Virtual XI

10. Gates of Tomorrow- Dance of Death

11. Thin Line Between Love and Hate- Brave New World

12. Back In The Village- Powerslave

Here's one for ya:

History of a Time to Come or Dreamweaver (Reflections of Our Yesterdays) ?

So no one knows what I'm talking about?

Of course. Sabbat are fantastic. I'm actually paying money to see Arch Enemy to see Sabbat and Enslaved. Sabbat have AMAZING lyrics for a thrash band. Such as in "Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?"

I saw Sabbat when they re-united to support Cradle Of Filth. It was a warm up gig they did just before the tour started in Nottingham for just a fiver and they played for an hour and then mingled with the fans afterwards.

Apparently it was taped and I was very fortunate enough to be there front row centre..... But I'm losing hope on it ever being released.

Not like I'm bragging or anything.....

I co-promoted a sepultura show in london, also not bragging or anything....

Has anyone heard the samples of the new Burzum album yet? Sounds promising, Varg's vocals have certainly improved with age.

Also, new Darkthrone soon. Can't wait for a bit more old school Metal.

Sounded a little too typical BM for me apart from track 5, now that sounds like some awesome Black Thrash track in the making.

New Alcest next month, not really metal as such but has elements and urinates over most metal anyway, probably looking forward to that more than any other album ever.

• Paid Members

BLOODBATH%20-%20Fathomless%20Cd.jpg

Fucking Yes!

so glad these guys got announced for Bloodstock, because i aint heard em before that (which is a abit embarrasing considering im a bit of an Opeth fan - this is the singers side project). Basically a place for the 'supergroup' to just bash through some straight forward death metal. This fucking crushes! i'm a bit picky with my death metal, i like mine to kind of mix traditional death metal with some added groove and nice headbanging moments if you get what i mean...anyway's this fucking has em in a plenty and i fucking love it.

Best metal album ive heard in ages.

BLOODBATH%20-%20Fathomless%20Cd.jpg

Fucking Yes!

so glad these guys got announced for Bloodstock, because i aint heard em before that (which is a abit embarrasing considering im a bit of an Opeth fan - this is the singers side project). Basically a place for the 'supergroup' to just bash through some straight forward death metal. This fucking crushes! i'm a bit picky with my death metal, i like mine to kind of mix traditional death metal with some added groove and nice headbanging moments if you get what i mean...anyway's this fucking has em in a plenty and i fucking love it.

Best metal album ive heard in ages.

Bloodbath are awesome I love that album. I also liked the 4 song ep they brought out just before it

Unblessing The Purity

189597.jpg

Went to see Machine Head,Hatebreed,Bleeding Through and Man Must Die (who replaced all shall perish).

missed man must die becasue we didn't wanna stand out in the rain to long so we got there dead on 7 (when doors up) but we still had to spend 20mins making are way through the que. so when we got in at 7:20 the band where just leaving the stage (little bit pissed off casue i like the band alot and missed them last week in london casue my mate who had tixs had to work)

Bleeding Through I didn't like

Hatebreed I though I wouldn't like. heard a couple of songs but was convinced but I have to admit they are damn good live. not much talking to the crowd just straight to the metal

Machine Head where fucking amazing. the 3rd time i ve seen them at brixton and everytime I love'em. they may not be my favourtive band but i'd easier watch them play all down over Bodom

On the Sepultura front. a club in my area. Sub89 has them playing

I co-promoted a sepultura show in london, also not bragging or anything....

I knocked back a Sepultura show in Glasgow. Also also not bragging or anything...

Anyway, nobody has addressed the issue of Dreamweaver or History of a Time to Come!

For my money, History had better tracks in terms of one-off, four or five minute, head down, full on thrash. You can listen to any track on the album and it stands on its own merit. Dreamweaver, on the other hand, is a great album when taken in its entirety. It's the kind of album you listen to from start to finish or not at all.

I was shocked (shocked!) to hear Skyclad on Radio 2 of all things the other day.

Big fan of both bands. Some of the most intelligent lyrics and wordplay in metal.

Anyone else have specific playlists for different gym days, or is that a personal peculiarity?