The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

as for Anthrax, they are one of the few bands that have had two vocalist who seem to have equal amounts of respect. Bush's Anthrax def. moved into a more hardrock territory away from the thrash, but they still produced quality music.

I'm a fan of both, i think Bush is techincally the better singer, but Joey was just cool as fuck :cool:

So i've listened to Master of Puppets. And i really wasn't that impressed, it's ok i guess. It's the vocals that i don't like and it puts me off nearly any Metallica song.

As for Slayer, love them. Yeah alot of there stuff is the same but it's great. I like all their albums.

So i've listened to Master of Puppets. And i really wasn't that impressed, it's ok i guess. It's the vocals that i don't like and it puts me off nearly any Metallica song.

As for Slayer, love them. Yeah alot of there stuff is the same but it's great. I like all their albums.

I'd recommend Beneath the Remains by Sepultura if you prefer Slayer to Metallica, you may like the two previous albums by them but the production is a lot less and they have more of a death metal sound.

So i've listened to Master of Puppets. And i really wasn't that impressed, it's ok i guess.

It's at this point that you leave the thread, and never return.

what happened to the "lets not fight over what is and what isn't metal" I don't like master of puppets, to be honest i don't like metallica at all. I would never pay to see them and only have the "black" Album in my collection (and I have no idea where it is).

I'd rather listen to bands like Cannibal Corpse,Dimmu Borgir,Children Of Bodom,Insomnium,Behemoth,Unearth,Legion Of The Damned,Obituary,Misery Index,Parkway Drive,Bloodbath,Machine Head,Rotting Christ,Vader,The Haunted,Chimaira,In Flames the list goes on

I don't own a Iron Maiden or Megadeth album.

I know a few people on the Bloodstock and hellfest forums who don't have a single metallica,maiden,megadeth or slayer album. I wouldn't say they wheren't into metal.

Just because it seems like every "metalhead" love the mainstream stuff (maiden,metallica,slayer,trivium,bullet for my valentine,etc) there is about 25% of "metalheads" who don't wanna listen to the mainstream stuff

So i've listened to Master of Puppets. And i really wasn't that impressed, it's ok i guess.

what happened to the "lets not fight over what is and what isn't metal" I don't like master of puppets, to be honest i don't like metallica at all. I would never pay to see them and only have the "black" Album in my collection (and I have no idea where it is).

I'd rather listen to bands like Cannibal Corpse,Dimmu Borgir,Children Of Bodom,Insomnium,Behemoth,Unearth,Legion Of The Damned,Obituary,Misery Index,Parkway Drive,Bloodbath,Machine Head,Rotting Christ,Vader,The Haunted,Chimaira,In Flames the list goes on

I know a few people on the Bloodstock and hellfest forums who don't have a single metallica,maiden,megadeth or slayer album. I wouldn't say they wheren't into metal.

Just because it seems like every "metalhead" love the mainstream stuff (maiden,metallica,slayer,trivium,bullet for my valentine,etc) there is about 25% of "metalheads" who don't wanna listen to the mainstream stuff

I think it would be hard to find a Metalhead who listens to the rubbish BFMV or Trivium puts out ;)

I think it would be hard to find a Metalhead who listens to the rubbish BFMV or Trivium puts out ;)

I use to go to a club called the fez In Reading on monday nights for their Rock night. we use to be the 1st one's in most of the time and the DJ sort of knew us and played more heavier stuff (we found out later he only had headbangers ball vol 2 the cd) machine head,unearth,cradle of filth and chimaira. once the club was full he wouldn't play any metal apart from Trivium. I ve never seen some many people run up to the stage and start headbanging to "pull harder on the strings of martyr". all these people have trivium or bullet or maybe madien shirts on brought from the local HMV. made me and my mates look stupid wear chimaria,devildriver,suicide silence,Emmure,behemoth,etc shirts on.

I don't go to the fez which is now called something else as I know the DJ still plays the same set every monday. my mate still goes and keeps telling me "i haven't been out for a monday for ages" even though on his facebook there are pictures of him in the club with dates on them. i don't care if he wants to listen to the same stuff every monday

do you guys have friends who listen to metal?

I have 2 friends who do but i swear one of them is going cold turkey on metal. he wears emmure,suicide silence,Parkway drive,etc t-shirts but when we go down to a club that has one room with sing a long stuff/mainstream (disturbed,drowning pool,metallica,etc) and another room that plays more heavier stuff (suicide silence,cannibal corpse,emperor,etc). I make a move for the hardcore room but end up sitting there on my own and thats not what i go to a club for.

• Paid Members
Here's one for ya:

History of a Time to Come or Dreamweaver (Reflections of Our Yesterdays) ?

So no one knows what I'm talking about?

Of course. Sabbat are fantastic. I'm actually paying money to see Arch Enemy to see Sabbat and Enslaved. Sabbat have AMAZING lyrics for a thrash band. Such as in "Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?"

And about metal friends: Most of my friends are metalheads. Thanks to uni I now know at least 20 metalheads through there, and more through meetings in clubs. It's good because it means we don't have to put up with the vapid pop shite at parties and so on. Edinburgh's well suited for metal though, with an extreme metal club, a slightly more mainstream metal/rock club and several rock/metal clubs. We're certainly building our own metal scene too with us getting a huge increase in gigs over the past year due to the launch of GBH promotions.

Edited by kendo

I'd recommend Beneath the Remains by Sepultura if you prefer Slayer to Metallica, you may like the two previous albums by them but the production is a lot less and they have more of a death metal sound.

I own Beneath the Remains, and as you mentioned it, realised i haven't listened to it in ages. And after listening to it today, i should listen to it alot more reguarly. Awesome album!

I have quite a few friends into metal but we all seem to have pretty different tastes. Theres still plenty of bands/songs we can agree on that we can listen to when at someones house.

I've noticed a lot of Iron Maiden talk on here, and no love for the two records which featured Blaze Bayley on vocals. A lot of people say that he didn't suit Iron Maiden, especially as they took on a different style from the Bruce Dickinson stuff, but Steve Harris was pretty accommodating and wrote around Blaze's voice.

Anyways, I'd reccommend any of Blaze Bayleys solo stuff, his latest album "Promise and Terror" is amazing, and the one before "The Man Who Would Not Die" is just as good. Then again, I'm a fan boy and would tell any metal fan to go pick up any one of his 5 studio albums.

Some tracks to listen out for:

God of Speed

Blackmailer

Smile Back at Death

Stare at the Sun

Robot

Watching the Night Sky

Born as a Stranger

The Man Who Would Not Die