The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Anyone heard Blackjazz by Shining (Norwegian, not the Swedish black metal boyband) yet? It's pure madness and i'm shocked i never heard them before, a wonderful mash of Jazz, Prog and Black/Death Metal.

Linky to a song from the album.

Haven't heard Blackjazz yet, but I've heard In the kingdom of kitsch you will be a monster and Grindstone, both of which are good records.

is my favourite tune of theirs. Fuck me @ that kick in!

Anyone heard Blackjazz by Shining (Norwegian, not the Swedish black metal boyband) yet? It's pure madness and i'm shocked i never heard them before, a wonderful mash of Jazz, Prog and Black/Death Metal.

Linky to a song from the album.

Haven't heard Blackjazz yet, but I've heard In the kingdom of kitsch you will be a monster and Grindstone, both of which are good records.

is my favourite tune of theirs. Fuck me @ that kick in!

For some reason i can't help but think of Stone Cold during the intro to that song, it is awesome and i'll be getting more of thier music.

• Paid Members

i renewed my love for System of a Down yesterday.

I was big into System when they first came out, i remember buying the debut album on import in '98 because it hadn't been released here and it was the only way i could listen to it, fucking blew me away.

Toxicity did the same, i remember being in love with that thing for the whole year it came out...then Kerrang tv came along and completely ruined the band for me. Chop Suey single handedly turned me off the band...i aint denying it's a great song...but that is single handedly the most overplayed music video in history. Add in the fact that when i heard it in clubs the DJ would always mute it at the end so the people in the club could sing the end bit (something that always drives me insane), and iwas completely turned off the band...maybe that's a little close minded, but that's what Kerrang tv does to bands.

Anyway's, after that album i never even heard Steal This Album and only gave Mezmerize a couple of whirls (didn't listen to Hypnotize at all). I Completely lost interest...never listened to any of the side projects either.

I stuck Toxicity on in the car yesterday though and it's fucking awesome, it blew me away all over again. I gotta get the other albums now and make up for lost time. It's crazy to think such a batshit crazy band ever made it as big as they did.

Ive stopped watching the commercial TV channels as much these days (there was a point where they would be on in the background constantly) and ive noticed my interest in bands come back because i aint getting that oversaturated feel i get when i watch the tv.

System of a Down are great!

Any fans of Vader on this forum?

I'll be off to see them in Glasgow tonight, and I believe they'll be playing in Leeds and Nottingham over the weekend.

Litany is my favorite Death Metal album of all time, shame a lot of thier music is sub par though as they have the potential to be amazing.

• Paid Members
i renewed my love for System of a Down yesterday.

I was big into System when they first came out, i remember buying the debut album on import in '98 because it hadn't been released here and it was the only way i could listen to it, fucking blew me away.

Toxicity did the same, i remember being in love with that thing for the whole year it came out...then Kerrang tv came along and completely ruined the band for me. Chop Suey single handedly turned me off the band...i aint denying it's a great song...but that is single handedly the most overplayed music video in history. Add in the fact that when i heard it in clubs the DJ would always mute it at the end so the people in the club could sing the end bit (something that always drives me insane), and iwas completely turned off the band...maybe that's a little close minded, but that's what Kerrang tv does to bands.

Anyway's, after that album i never even heard Steal This Album and only gave Mezmerize a couple of whirls (didn't listen to Hypnotize at all). I Completely lost interest...never listened to any of the side projects either.

I stuck Toxicity on in the car yesterday though and it's fucking awesome, it blew me away all over again. I gotta get the other albums now and make up for lost time. It's crazy to think such a batshit crazy band ever made it as big as they did.

Ive stopped watching the commercial TV channels as much these days (there was a point where they would be on in the background constantly) and ive noticed my interest in bands come back because i aint getting that oversaturated feel i get when i watch the tv.

System of a Down are great!

I was in a similar situation with SOAD a while ago. They turned into "everybody's new favourite band" even though all they knew was the "Angels deserve to die song".

I love when you go back to a band after a while and have forgotten how amazing their stuff is.

If you haven't heard "Hypnotize" i highly recommend you pick it up.

Seeing SOAD at the Leeds Festival in 2003 is still the only time i have ever been afraid at a gig. The crowd was fucking MENTAL!

Edited by martyngnr

I'm in a pretty similar SOAD boat. Love the first record, one of the best from the late 90's for sure. I never liked Toxicity that much, mainly because I didn't like Chop Suey from the beginning let alone the over exposure that followed. Songs like Prison Song, Needles and Psycho are awesome though. I didn't like Mezmerise at all but I thought Hypnotize was pretty good for the most part. There's a decent album between them but just way too much filler and I just lost interest in them. That said, I really like Serj's solo album and there's a new version of it performed with a symphony coming out soon which Ill definatly be checking out. I really want to listen to War now.

• Paid Members
SOAD's first album is great but it's all downhill from there.

I agree with Mr Seven.

Loved the first album, had a good mix of metal and humour and then they just kind of tailed off.

I am not saying the following albums were bad, but they just weren't as good as the first one.

- The Kombucha Mushroom People

Edit: Probably my favourite track from the first album.

Edited by eugenespeed