The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Just want to say I’ve loved all the REM talk recently.

I’ve always liked what I’ve heard of them but am at best a fair weather fan. Like a lot of people I know the hits but couldn’t ever say “oh, such & such is a great album”, and until recently I’d never listened to Automatic For The People from beginning to end, and I’m so glad I’ve rectified that.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Did anyone else know Earthtone9 have just released a new album? It's great too. I had no idea they released one in 2013 aswell, so I'm gonna have to give that a listen now. If there was ever a band that should be so much more popular than they are, it's them. Even when every UK metal band was given a chance, they never got that popular. I saw them in a 500 capacity venue in 2001 and there was barely 100 people there.

• Paid Members

Big Earthtone9 fan. I was a member of the Street Team back in the day and all sorts. Ahh not suprised you missed the boat on the 2013 reunion, it sort of came and went but they raised the money for it through pledge music (or kickstarter). did a few gigs and then have done sporadic stuff since. That record is really good, but its way more melodic than they are typically, the new album seems to be a concious effort to put them back inline with what they were about originally. 

Oh and in sad news for the nu-metal brethren among us:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I think there's a few Gaslight Anthem fans on here. Just a heads up that they have re-remixed the History Books album (look for History Books - Expanded Edition on Spotify) and it actually sounds like a really good record now, and not the stodgy flat underproduced mess that they released last year.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

Cant recall an album being remixed and re-released so quickly to the initial release. Something must have seriously gone wrong.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Cant recall an album being remixed and re-released so quickly to the initial release. Something must have seriously gone wrong.

The only one that springs to mind for me is Nevermore’s ‘Enemies of Reality’, but even then I think that was at least 18 months between the original release and the remastered one

Edited by WyattSheepMask

In the same kind of vein, the ex-vocalist/guitarist from CKY has a new band called 96 Bitter Beings, and have released an album called Return To Hellview because he's nots bitter about being kicked out of the band at all.

Return To Hellview is a bunch of re-recorded CKY songs, recorded how he wished they'd originally sounded as he was never very happy with the original recordings. Theres no real need for it as the new versions don't really sound much different at all apart from the drums sounding worse. I was pretty intrigued with the idea when I first heard the announcement, but in reality it is a complete waste of time.

Man, that version of Flesh into Gear's awful. It's like when a game gets a remaster to make it "Like we always intended" but just winds up feeling - if technically sharper - a hollow, gaudy simulacra of what it once was.

I'll never know the feeling of having your life so intertwined personally with a work that millions of people are familiar with and what that might do to you - might make you cling to - but man...let it go. Even if Deron Miller was the primary creative force in CKY, people want to see you all as pals with the whole crew or not at all. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

On the remixed album, there's a clicking sound throughout the entirety of 'Michigan 1975' which doesn't seem to have been picked up on prior to release, so there will probably be a third mix released somewhere down the line.

It's a bit of a shambles all round.

I really like the record now, but I feel like something has been off about this Gaslight reunion from the start. Brian Fallon being pissed up and acting the knob at one of his solo shows the other month was quite telling, really out of character for him.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Gnarkill

love that song IF YOU WANT TO FEEL PLEASURE YOU'VE GOT TO FEEL PAIN off the second record, veers into symphonic black metal territory but with a tithead jabbering over it

Edited by Cannibal Man

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

Gaslight were fantastic at 2000Trees which makes it all the more annoying that its another stodge job of a reproduction. 

I'm glad to hear it. They're one of those rare bands that I actually prefer in a festival setting rather than their own gig, as it means they just rattle through the hits and you don't have the 45 minutes of Brian Fallon chatting utter shit.

I love him and Gaslight Anthem have been my favourite band since about 2008 (at least since Senor And The Queen was released) but christ he doesn't half go on during their shows.