DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

How does it compare to In Bruges? I absolutely cannot wait to see it, Brendan Gleeson's an amazingly good actor.

I prefer In Bruges, but that's one of my all-time favourites. The Guard didn't have the same incredible moments In Bruges had for me, but it did have more arse-end-of-Ireland stuff that resonated with me. They're different films, but both have that great interplay and tremendous dialogue. That same playful tone towards grim subject matter. I think if you like one, you'll like the other.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Awards Moderator

Watched Frozen the other night. Three students convince a fat bloke to let them have one last go on a ski-lift before he shuts it down for the night and through a combination of poor writing, bad acting and general crapness, they get stuck up there. Boredom ensues. It was shite.

Saying that, I did laugh like a lunatic when:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The lad jumped from the ski-lift, broke his legs and couldn't reach the clothing his bird threw down. Obviously it wasn't meant to be funny but seeing him struggle with his legs pointing in four directions just really tickled me. I think that very scene epitomises how seriously I could take the film. Well, along with the scene shortly after when the same poor bugger plays peek-a-boo with a wolf.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Frankie Crisp

Caught of Forever Young earlier. Not seen it in ages and was wondering what the Air America reunion was about? David Marshall Grant, Art Le Fleur, and of course Mel Gibson were in both and both had old airforce/air plane themes

Anyone?

Watched The Guard (
) today. Absolutely brilliant. Cracking writing, and Gleeson puts in a masterful performance. It's by the brother of the guy behind In Bruges.

Just finished watching it. I loved it. I really like In Bruges, but I think I prefer this. The comedy was much more blatant and actually had me laughing out loud rather than chuckling to my self which I found I did more with In Bruges (plus it didn't the arrogance of Colin Farrell). Not knowing much about the Irish culture and what were obviously in jokes didn't hinder it in anyway, you could still appreciate what was being said and could take the humour at face value (a bit like Four Lions in that respect).

My favourite (and the funniest) scene was the milkshake headache. The last line had me in stitches.

Watched Frozen the other night. Three students convince a fat bloke to let them have one last go on a ski-lift before he shuts it down for the night and through a combination of poor writing, bad acting and general crapness, they get stuck up there. Boredom ensues. It was shite.

Saying that, I did laugh like a lunatic when:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The lad jumped from the ski-lift, broke his legs and couldn't reach the clothing his bird threw down. Obviously it wasn't meant to be funny but seeing him struggle with his legs pointing in four directions just really tickled me. I think that very scene epitomises how seriously I could take the film. Well, along with the scene shortly after when the same poor bugger plays peek-a-boo with a wolf.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I've not seen the film, but read the script a year or so back and really liked it. I'd heard the film was alright. I might not bother now.

• Paid Members

I need help looking for a film: I saw this film on Sky Movies years ago. Its about this bloke, who's mates set him up on blind date with this girl. When he knocks on the door she has cold feet, so he waits outside her door all night not getting the message and the rejection turns him into a full on rapey basketcase. Any ideas what its called?

• Awards Moderator
I've not seen the film, but read the script a year or so back and really liked it. I'd heard the film was alright. I might not bother now.

Yeah, I watched it based on a couple of recommendations and felt a bit let down. One of my mates likened it to Open Water on a ski-lift. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it just came across as lazy in parts. I was in a particularly grotty mood when I watched it, though, so I may be being a bit critical as I pretty much wrote it off after half an hour so may not have given it chance to redeem itself for the rest of the film. If anything, it's worth watching for comedy value of those scenes I put in spoilers.