DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Yeah, I will give anything with Mike Judge's name attached a punt; he's definitely earned it with the amount of quality he's produced.

Jackass 3-D begins with an introduction from Beavis and Butthead, I bust a nut.

(also I <3 Mila Kunis)

Have you seen Date Night? she cameos in it with James Franco and they're both amazing.

Edited by Pritt Stick Licker

How did he even get ast in this film then? I found out via the extras that he is french, but always wondered how he ended up in the role. His english was bad, as well as hjis scottish accent....plus his acting is a bit hit/miss at the best of times.

AGain i still like him for cult reasons but you do have to wonder!

Lambert was born in the US, his dad was a diplomat or something, but grew up in Switzerland I think he got the lead for Highlander after Greystoke the Legend of Tarzan where Andie Mc Dowell gets dubbed by Glenn Close either that or was Besson's Subway

The accent he learned was to be specifically non foriegn. rather than 'Scottish' to begin with. There is load of stuff kicking about the net regarding it

IMDB Confirmation of language barrier

Highlander Trivia Page

The language stuff comes under 'faux flunecy', where the actors dont have a clue about what they are saying, necessarily, they can just speak their lines properly or as directed as voice coach. Hence the stunted nature.

There are lots more Iam sure.

• Paid Members
How did he even get ast in this film then? I found out via the extras that he is french, but always wondered how he ended up in the role. His english was bad, as well as hjis scottish accent....plus his acting is a bit hit/miss at the best of times.

Lambert was born in the US, his dad was a diplomat or something, but grew up in Switzerland I think he got the lead for Highlander after Greystoke the Legend of Tarzan where Andie Mc Dowell gets dubbed by Glenn Close either that or was Besson's Subway

The accent he learned was to be specifically non foriegn. rather than 'Scottish' to begin with. There is load of stuff kicking about the net regarding it

Highlander Trivia Page

The language stuff comes under 'faux flunecy', where the actors dont have a clue about what they are saying, necessarily, they can just speak their lines properly or as directed as voice coach. Hence the stunted nature.

"You talk funny, Nash. Where you from?"

"Lots of different places"

I've just finished watching The Shinjuku Incident with Jackie Chan. This is a film he's apparently been trying to make for about ten years, as part of his plan to move away from action and more into drama, but kept putting it off as Hollywood was offering money for him to kick people in creative ways.

Anyway, despite having Jackie Chan in, this is most definately not a typical Jackie Chan film. For a start, no big stunts, no kung fu. None at all. Not even in a Jackie's-character-doesn't-know-kung-fu-but-he-still-fights-in-a-kung-fu-sort-of-way. Here he just stomps up to people and clubs them with sticks, or stabs them. Fights in this are blunt and ugly. People curl up into foetal positions while they get kicked in the head by 2 or 3 goons. The most shocking scene is probably Jackie having sex with a prostitute. Nothing graphic, but it just seems so out of place.

Anyhow, it's a very intense story about Chinese illegal immigrants in Japan. This makes the dialect quite odd, as there's Japanese, Mandarin, Mandarin in Jackie's very southern accent, Cantonese, a smidge of English, and bits of other SE Asian languages all mixed in. It's dark, violent, and there were 3 or 4 moments where I just went "Fuuuck!" when something unpleasent/unexpected happened. Well worth a watch, and shows that Jackie still has the potential for a decent career when he can no longer do the physical stuff (after all, he turns 57 next year).

Just watched Enter The Void and it has one of the worst stories in any film i have seen recently, the dialogue is abysmal, it runs on for way too long and none of the characters are even remotely likeable yet it's the best film i have seen in ages purely because of the visual treat that it is.

It's just full of sex, drugs, death, incestuous undertones and aborted babies while having the best camera work and effects i have ever seen, it really is beautiful.

I'm now off to my local dealer to grab some shrooms to eat while watching it again.

How to train your Dragon, I loved it.

Perhaps im getting to soft in my old age but im liking more films these days, it happened with Dispicable me and it happened with this.

Initially the story was a bit 'REALLY?' but once you get over that and realise your watching a kids film its easy to get into.

The Dragons are awesome esp the main one (it might be because it looks and acts just like my cat), the other characters are all good and interesting with one hell of a great cast line up doing the voices.

Adults should rent this or buy it if you have kids as they will love it.

• Paid Members

Highlander Trivia Page

Or im aware of his "non-specific accent", what i was talking about was in the flash backs he IS tryign to a scottish accent, you can here him say specific words with a very bad accent he is attempting to put on. Otherwise his non-regional-american accent is fine, jsut more specifically his actual scotland flashback accent that was a bit bad. Bar that again i still like the man!

Also an interesting notion on foreign actors in english speaking films, when they may or may not have understood what is being said. Im sure that does happen, although if you didint know what you were saying, you'd have to be very carefull about what film you star in!

Perhaps im getting to soft in my old age but im liking more films these days, it happened with Dispicable me and it happened with this.

Initially the story was a bit 'REALLY?' but once you get over that and realise your watching a kids film its easy to get into.

The Dragons are awesome esp the main one (it might be because it looks and acts just like my cat), the other characters are all good and interesting with one hell of a great cast line up doing the voices.

Loved this. It came out around the same time as Avatar and I remember liking this one so much more. Recommended.

Loved this. It came out around the same time as Avatar and I remember liking this one so much more. Recommended.

Avatar was out last December, How To Train Your Dragon came out at the end of March this year( I took my fiance to the previews). They've been putting the DVD/Blu Ray release off until now for the Primary Gift Period (more commonly known as Christmas)

Avatar was out last December, How To Train Your Dragon came out at the end of March this year( I took my fiance to the previews). They've been putting the DVD/Blu Ray release off until now for the Primary Gift Period (more commonly known as Christmas)

Yeah, 'around the same time'. Four days, four months - it's all the same.

Yeah, 'around the same time'. Four days, four months - it's all the same.

Plus avatar was showing at the cinema for frikin ages! As long as people keep going to see it they keep showing it I guess.

• Paid Members

Finally got around to watching Get Him to the Greek. Wasn't overly impressed to be honest, but it had its good parts. P-Diddy got the most laughs out of me. It has to be said that Russel Brand's real life persona actually translates quite well to film, though I found it impossible to generate any sympathy towards his character, especially near the end, without giving too much away. A few funny moments but I actually remember enjoying Sarah Marshall a bit more the first time round.

• Paid Members

I watched A Bugs Life yesterday evening on Five.

It's generally forgotton when Pixaresque movies are discussed, but I loved it. The voices were brilliant and the story was a little different (Shrek,Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc and Toy Story all have essentially the same plot) and very heartwarming.

My particular highlight was fat German caterpillar Heimlech finally undergoing his metamorphosis and becoming a butterfly, which had me laughing for ages.

• Paid Members

Day: Yesterday

Time: Afternoon

Audience: The good lady, my boy Zack and I

Film: Finding Nemo

Rating: 4 stars

Comments: As irony would have it, this was the VHS (yes, video is alive!) chosen by the wee nipper when at his great Aunt's house before Sunday Roast. Great film, classy animation and some good laughs too.