General politics discussion thread

David

Hang on, I may be in that consistuency. Would certainly explain why I've been getting so much crap through the door. Who should I be voting for? If I vote I have to give up my car?

Give up your car? :confused:

You vote for whichever party you like.

Rest of the Question Time panel is Chris Huhne and Baroness Warsi who is, of course, a British born Muslim. Maybe Griffin will offer her money to go "home".

From today's Comment page in The Times:

Picking the right fight

The BBC is right to host Nick Griffin, but he must be deftly opposed

A week tomorrow, on Question Time, the BBC will play host to Nick Griffin, the leader of the British National Party. The corporation is right to do so. There may be little public appetite for what Mr Griffin has to say, but there is an enormous public appetite for him to be taken to task while saying it.

Some form of demonstration is to be expected outside BBC Television Centre, with anti-fascist protesters having already announced their intention to blockade Wood Lane so as to prevent Mr Griffin from entering the building.

A protest is understandable, and possibly even desirable, but a blockade is not. The strategy of denying the BNP the oxygen of publicity is of questionable morality and, at any rate, it has not worked. Mr Griffin and his colleague Andrew Brons now sit in the European Parliament. They represent a real, if still marginal, political presence that cannot just be wished away. Much as its existence may dismay and disgust, ignoring it will not help.

Nor is such an approach helpful. Misconstrued notions of victimhood and oppression are the BNP

BNP leader Nick Griffin has agreed to ask his party to amend its constitution so it does not discriminate on grounds of race or religion, a court heard.

The UK's equalities watchdog had argued the BNP broke the Race Relations Act by restricting members to "indigenous Caucasian" people.

The court heard Mr Griffin had agreed to use "all reasonable endeavours" to revise its constitution.

BNP members will be asked to agree to the changes at a meeting in November.

Mr Griffin was not at the hearing at Central London County Court on Thursday morning.

But Robin Allen QC, counsel for the commission, said Mr Griffin had agreed to present party members with a revised constitution at its general meeting next month and the party had agreed not to accept new members in the meantime.

The BNP agreed to use "all reasonable endeavours" to revise its constitution so it did not discriminate on what are termed "protected characteristics" in clause four of the Equality Bill - which include race, gender and religious belief.

But BBC correspondent Andy Tighe said it remained to be seen whether Mr Griffin could persuade his party to allow the change.

John Wadham, of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, said: "We are pleased the party has conceded this case and agreed to all of the Commission requirements.

"Political parties, like any other organisation, are obliged to respect the law and not discriminate against people.

"It is unfortunate the BNP spent several months before conceding and dealing properly with our legal requirements. We will be monitoring the BNP's compliance with this court order on membership, and its other legal obligations, including to its constituents."

A BNP spokesman told the BBC: "We have got to comply if we want to stay in the game. Of course it's not right, it's an infringement of our rights."

On the BNP website Mr Griffin had asked supporters to help fund the "horrendous" bills for the legal case and accused the commission of "trying to bankrupt us".

Richard Barnbrook, the party's representative on the London Assembly, said he believed BNP members would vote in favour of a reformed constitution.

"The first reason being that trying to fight this court case would bankrupt the party and we have more important issues to deal with, including elections."

The court heard Mr Griffin would be given 10 days to submit a signed undertaking confirming the proposed changes. The case was adjourned until January 28.

I'm sure that'll come in handy for Griffin on Question Time.

I have only seen Warsi (she is a Torie right?) on QT once and I remember her coming off pretty well though she was basically up against some news paper guy (may have been The Guardian) who came across as a right moaning little englander who acted like his opinion was the only one.

They had some sort of barny over the british muslim council (or whatever it is called) which she seemed to have little love for and he just sat there acting like a spoiled child claiming it represented all muslims even though Warsi obviously didn't feel it represented her views.

Anyway I would rather Warsi over that Liberty chick (who I do agree with from time to time) who would probably spend %90 of the show having some sort of emotional rant or cutting Big Nick off every chance she got.

And the so called anti-fascist protesters really are a thick bunch of cunts.

Either way the show will probably be train wreck TV at it's absolute best.

Whilst I don't think the BNP be should be "made" to change it's membership policy, I don't see any real reason why it should be an issue.

I see myself as a Scottish nationalist at heart, and it has nothing to do with race and everything to do with tradition & preserving Scottish culture.

If non-white Scottish nationals are interested in helping do that and share the same mindset then I see no problems at all.

The BNP shouldn't either. Saying that, if they want to marginalise themselves by enforcing their white-only rule, then they should be able to.

It'll only keep them on the fringes, and hurt them in the long run.

The idea that 'being tradition' is enough to make something worthwhile is pretty retarded.

Not all traditions obviously, but some are certainly worth maintaining.

I'm not a fan of things being discarded simply in the name of "progress".

That black hearted, fat-kidneyed hedge-pig Griffin wilt surely shewe himself a fool this eve. Verily, a pig bladder upon a stick would not a more mirthful sight make than will this mountain of mad flesh. I say to him, when a wise man gives thee better counsel, give me mine again: I would have none but knaves follow it, since a fool gives it.