General politics discussion thread

David

• Moderators
The idea that 'being tradition' is enough to make something worthwhile is pretty retarded.

Not all traditions obviously, but some are certainly worth maintaining.

I'm not a fan of things being discarded simply in the name of "progress".

Could I have an example or two of what harmless traditions are being discarded in the name of progress, please?

Could I have an example or two of what harmless traditions are being discarded in the name of progress, please?

No.

I've been down this kind of road before on here, and i'm not interested in getting into a huge, overblown debate.

You know that regardless of what I post, you won't agree.

All of that would result in neither opinions changing one iota, so there's no point.

No.

I've been down this kind of road before on here, and i'm not interested in getting into a huge, overblown debate.

You know that regardless of what I post, you won't agree.

All of that would result in neither opinions changing one iota, so there's no point.

It's not that he won't agree. If they really are just harmless traditions he won't give too much of a fuck either way. It was a fair question.

• Moderators

I can see why you might think that.. I've never got involved in any of the massive debates you've had on here previously. I'm interested in knowing what traditions are being disposed of out of genuine interest because I can't think of any, not to pick a fight. I've not been combative at all, so I don't know why you think you know how I'll react.

I have neither the time nor inclination for an argument the length of which you've had on here previously with others but yeah - I can't speak for anyone else who might fancy throwing their quid's worth in.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

It's not that he won't agree. If they really are just harmless traditions he won't give too much of a fuck either way. It was a fair question.

Fair enough, i'll throw the decline in the teaching of traditional Scottish Gaelic out there as one "tradition" that's being discarded in the name of progress.

Fair enough, i'll throw the decline in the teaching of traditional Scottish Gaelic out there as one "tradition" that's being discarded in the name of progress.

Well done. And you've got a good point. apparantly Gaelic has passed the tipping point in terms of number of speakers vs total popualtion so nothing can be done to stop it vanishing completely.

That black hearted, fat-kidneyed hedge-pig Griffin wilt surely shewe himself a fool this eve. Verily, a pig bladder upon a stick would not a more mirthful sight make than will this mountain of mad flesh. I say to him, when a wise man gives thee better counsel, give me mine again: I would have none but knaves follow it, since a fool gives it.

I think it's next week, rather than this eve. Although I'm sure he shewes himself a fool every eve. I love this gimmick, could only have been bettered by setting up a separate account for it.

• Paid Members
That black hearted, fat-kidneyed hedge-pig Griffin wilt surely shewe himself a fool this eve. Verily, a pig bladder upon a stick would not a more mirthful sight make than will this mountain of mad flesh. I say to him, when a wise man gives thee better counsel, give me mine again: I would have none but knaves follow it, since a fool gives it.

I think it's next week, rather than this eve. Although I'm sure he shewes himself a fool every eve. I love this gimmick, could only have been bettered by setting up a separate account for it.

Is Loki Dr Samuel Johnson from Twitter?

Did anyone see tonights episode of Question Time? The BNP chit-chat has started already it would seem.

I did get a chuckle from the dude in the t-shirt with the "black student committee" logo talking about how the BNP shouldn't be given a platform on the BBC for fear of turning voters towards them.

Did anyone see tonights episode of Question Time? The BNP chit-chat has started already it would seem.

I did get a chuckle from the dude in the t-shirt with the "black student committee" logo talking about how the BNP shouldn't be given a platform on the BBC for fear of turning voters towards them.

Watched it and a laugh me tits of as Alan Johnson was torn a new a hole by Farage and Damian Green repeatedly which made I laugh.

Not only were there boos for Nick Griffin, but also Jacqui Smith which was fun

As much as I hate UKIP, Farage makes for good TV. In other news, Geert Wilders is in town!

GEERT WILDERS

Nicknamed "Mozart" because of his mane of platinum blond hair

Voted politician of the year in 2007 by the Dutch political press,

Lives under police protection because of death threats

Wants the Koran and the Muslim garment, the burka, to be banned

Controversial right-wing Dutch MP Geert Wilders has arrived in the UK after the home secretary said he would not try to block his entry.

Mr Wilders was turned away from the UK in February on the grounds that his allegedly anti-Islamic views posed a threat to public security.

The Freedom Party leader is due to hold a press conference in London after that ban was overturned by a tribunal.

The Home Office said it was not "minded" to bar his entry.

A spokesman for Home Secretary Alan Johnson said on Thursday: "Any European visitor's right to enter the UK will be considered on its merits by an immigration officer.

"On this occasion the home secretary is not minded to recommend that Wilders is denied admission to the UK.

"Clearly Mr Wilders' statements and behaviour during a visit will inevitably impact on any future decisions to admit him."

Mr Wilders, who faces trial in his own country for inciting hatred, arrived at Heathrow airport on Friday morning.

He is due to visit the House of Lords later on the invitation of UK Independence Party peer Lord Pearson.

He had tried to visit in February to show his controversial film Fitna, which links the Koran to terrorism, but he was turned back by immigration officials at Heathrow airport on the grounds that his views could stir up "inter-faith violence".

However, on Tuesday the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal ruled there was no evidence to suggest he represented a real and serious threat to the "fundamental interest" of society.

The judges said that even if there had been evidence, it would still have been wrong to turn him away because in the event of any trouble the police would have been able to deal with it.

GEERT WILDERS

Nicknamed "Mozart" because of his mane of platinum blond hair

Voted politician of the year in 2007 by the Dutch political press,

Lives under police protection because of death threats

Wants the Koran and the Muslim garment, the burka, to be banned

"It was more important to allow free speech than to take restrictive action speculatively," they said.

Mr Wilders has already said he does not plan to show his film during this visit, but intends to return again at a later date for a screening.

The Home Office said on Thursday that Mr Wilders was previously stopped from entering the UK under EU immigration regulations on the grounds of public policy and security.

Officials say his case differs from that of a larger number of individuals - including Islamic extremists and white supremacists - who are on a list of people excluded from Britain for "unacceptable behaviour".

The power to impose such exclusions was introduced in 2005, following the London bombings, and applies predominantly to non-EU nationals who would seek to "foster hatred or promote terrorism".

Earlier this week, Mr Wilders told BBC Radio 5 Live his intention had only ever been "to have a debate about freedom of speech and the threat of Islamisation of our Western societies".

"I believe the decision of the UK government was political; it was not based on law," he said.

"It's not my intention to have anything at all to do with violence."

The Home Office said a final decision would be made on whether to appeal against the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal's decision after its written judgement was handed down next week.