General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

It's a pretty logical response by Labour. They must believe the current system does correctly identify those incapable of work - they don't have any advantage in knowingly paying too much benefit to people.

So if they believe the system is correctly identifying people incapable of work, then in their mind the only way the Conservatives can reduce the numbers on incapacity benefit is to wrongly class people as capable of work.

It's worth nothing that the

It's a pretty logical response by Labour. They must believe the current system does correctly identify those incapable of work - they don't have any advantage in knowingly paying too much benefit to people.

So if they believe the system is correctly identifying people incapable of work, then in their mind the only way the Conservatives can reduce the numbers on incapacity benefit is to wrongly class people as capable of work.

The SNP has written to the three networks that plan to screen the contests arguing that they are legally bound to invite Mr Salmond to appear alongside Mr Cameron, Gordon Brown and Nick Clegg.

Legislation states broadcasters must give fair time to all parties contesting an election, and the SNP claimed it would be illegal to exclude its leader from a head-to-head debate being broadcast in Scotland.

If Mr Salmond is excluded, the SNP confirmed the party would consider seeking injunctions against the BBC, ITV and Sky preventing broadcast of the debates.

But Mr Cameron, the Tory leader, dismissed the threat, saying:

• Paid Members

On the debate front, the broadcasters could try to get round the nationalists issue by saying it's a debate among Prime Minister candidates, which means you'd have to be from a party contesting enough seats to feasibly form a majority. However, that would mean UKIP would qualify.

Salmond is such a dick. It's like he's forever jumping up and down shouting, "look at me! look at me!"

This... What a prick.. I wanna be in a British leaders debate for a general election, where iam relinquishing my seat and have no interest whatsoever in.. but Ill sue you if iam not in it Utter wanker.. People voted for him???? Sod Blair for next president of Europe.. this guy could be a real menace..

How come 'his nationalist party' and, t'other nationalist party get so wildly different reactions.. it cant just be the reacisim thing or is that me being naive.. As the SNP is all about Scotland and how they have been hard done to and fuck everyone else..... Hitler Mark 2 that Mr Salmond

He makes a perfectly valid and reasonable point. If the debate is to be broadcast in Scotland, it MUST include the leaders of all the major parties in Scotland. Given that the SNP is the largest party in Scotland in the moment, it's absurd NOT to include them. Whether they should be involved in the same debate as that south of the border is a different question and, most likely, that's the point Salmond is trying to make, albeit rather subtly. Cameron is more than likely going to be the next Prime Minister of the UK, despite probably being at best the third party in Scotland and more than likely holding about 2% of Scottish seats. If Salmond can reinforce the idea that Scottish people really don't have a say in the government of the UK, he's likely to shore up support for the SNP.

BNP leader Nick Griffin is scheduled to appear on Question Time along with Jack Straw a week on Thursday.

Labour MP Jeremy Corbyn condemned Justice Secretary Jack Straw's decision on Sunday to appear on BBC Question Time with BNP leader Nick Griffin.

Mr Straw became the first senior Labour politician to say that he was willing to appear on the show with the far-right leader.

The BBC then confirmed that the two men were among the panelists booked for a recording of the show hosted by David Dimbleby in London on October 22.

However Mr Corbyn said that the BNP are getting too much publicity from the BBC.

Speaking to the Morning Star at the Labour Party conference in Brighton, he said: "The Labour Party has a proud tradition of not appearing with fascists and we should continue with that."

The BBC sparked controversy earlier this month when it announced that it would be willing to feature representatives of the BNP on Question Time after the party won two seats in the European Parliament in elections in June.

Labour then reviewed its long-standing approach of refusing to share a platform with the far-right BNP and Prime Minister Gordon Brown made clear he was ready to allow a minister to take on Mr Griffin, now an MEP for the North West of England.

But Cabinet ministers such as Peter Hain and Alan Johnson said they would not go on Question Time if the BNP leader was invited.

Mr Hain said he had told the BBC that he would never share a platform with the BNP.

"More than that I have said that I will refuse to appear on Question Time until its producers meet with me to justify their reasons," he said.

"I demand the opportunity to put our side of the case, giving the BNP this kind of free publicity elevates them to a level of respectability that they do not deserve.

"We must not rest until the BNP are defeated in this free and tolerant country."

Communication Workers Union leader Billy Hayes pointed out that his union continues to support members who, as an act of conscience, refuse to deliver BNP leaflets.

"In support of our multicultural society, it is crucial that we continue to fight against the BNP and its allies like the English Defence League," he said.

Source: Morningstaronline.co.uk

Surely Peter Hain recognises that the way to "defeat" the BNP is through good, solid debate? Why wouldn't he be willing to take part, especially considering his strong feelings on the subject?

Another interesting take on the situation, this time actually looking at the platform itself;

The BBC has to let Nick Griffin appear on Question Time, for at least two reasons: legal and prudential. The legal reason is that the BBC is constitutionally sworn to treat all political parties equally. The BNP now has two MEPs; for the BBC not to allow it to speak would be a clear case of politicised partiality. It has to invite Griffin.

The prudential reason is that excluding the BNP will play into the party

• Paid Members

I was on Incapacity for three years, and it was very easy to get I felt. I only had to go to a medical assessment, at Cadogan Street, Glasgow twice in those three years. If they are really serious about cutting it maybe they should have three medical assessments a year, or something. One or two in three years, ain't really enough IMHO.

Yeah see where your coming from with bthat. It must be an area thing though, with some places enforcing things moreso than others as there are people who really struggle to get things like that and are fubared as a result, yet the opposite is also true.. so rather than a whole sale replacement or, yet again fucking about with it.. how about making things on a level playing field that should sort out the wheat from the chaff.....Id be happy going to Medicals everyso often cos theyd say your fuct, carry on type thing... those that were faking may have more of a problem

The thing is, the majority in the crowd at that show will think they are making a stand by heckling Griffin, when the best thing to do would be to let the guy talk and allow the public to make their own minds up.

It's certainly a hell of a lot more interesting when the BNP are involved, i'll give them that.