General politics discussion thread

David

Just read this on the Orange main news section.

The Prime Minister wants to give constituents the right to sack their MP if they have been proved to be "financially corrupt".

Making his final conference speech before the election Gordon Brown said some MPs "let our country down".

"Never again should it be said of any Member of Parliament that they are in it for what they can get; all of us should be in Parliament for what we can give."And so where there is proven financial corruption by an MP and in cases where wrong-doing has been demonstrated but Parliament fails to act we will give constituents the right to recall their Member of Parliament."

The Prime Minister also announced that if Labour is re-elected, it will hold a referendum on electoral reform.

Among a series of proposals, Mr Brown said he wanted teenage parents currently in council flats on their own to live in "supervised homes".

He said: "I do think it's time to address a problem that for too long has gone unspoken, the number of children having children. For it cannot be right, for a girl of sixteen, to get pregnant, be given the keys to a council flat and be left on her own.

"From now on all 16 and 17 year old parents who get support from the taxpayer will be placed in a network of supervised homes.

"These shared homes will offer not just a roof over their heads, but a new start in life where they learn responsibility and how to raise their children properly."

At the start of the speech, Labour delegates gave the Prime Minister a standing ovation as he said: "We need to fight, not to bow out, not to walk away, not to give in, but to fight, to fight to win for Britain."

He attacked the Tories saying they had made the "wrong choice" on the economy.

"Only one party with pretensions to government made the wrong choice; the Conservative Party of Britain," he said.

And the Prime Minister said bankers had "lost sight" of the values of fairness and responsibility.

"One day last October the executive of a major bank told us that his bank needed only overnight finance but no long term support from the Government," he said."The next day I found that this bank was going under with debts that were among the biggest of any bank, anywhere, at any time in history."

Mr Brown confirmed that the new fiscal responsibility act would mean that: "Every change we make, every single pledge we make, comes with a price tag attached, and a clear plan for how that cost will be met."

The Prime Minister said 50,000 "chaotic families" would be entered into a family intervention project "with clear rules and clear punishments if they don't stick to them."

There will be a new law to force future governments to spend 0.7% of the national income on international development aid.

Desperate promises from a desperate PM.

The only thing GB didn't promise was a bag of gold for every Labour voter........oh wait he sold most of our gold off didn't he :rolleyes:

Anyway who is going to supervise these "chaotic" familys? the same worthless social workers who stood by while children were tortured and killed?

Sounds like more Big Brother laws to me and will probably end up cotsing the tax payer more then simply leaving them on benefits and I'm suprised he hasn't suggested forced labour yet.

Sacking your local PM sounds like a great idea but would eventually lead to a revovling door in local politics imo and in the long term democracy at a local level would suffer greatly.

Emergency local elections are the answer instead of outright sacking of MP's.

If the public vote this bunch of cretins in yet again then Britian deserves to crumble.

Anyway who is going to supervise these "chaotic" familys? the same worthless social workers who stood by while children were tortured and killed?

I don't think that is very fair, Social Workers get a very raw deal from the press, on the whole they do an amazing job given the limitations imposed on them.

So, Gordon Brown says the Sun's switch of support from Labour to Conservative won't matter, as it's "people who decide elections, not newspapers".

Fine, but considering it's got some stroke considering it's the most circulated newspaper in the UK and many people who read it don't trawl their way through manifestos and instead go with the bullet points featured in tabloid papers such as this, it's not looking good, Gord.

I don't think that is very fair, Social Workers get a very raw deal from the press, on the whole they do an amazing job given the limitations imposed on them.

Yeah I was a little harsh I admit.

They are probably strained enough as it is and I doubt that people are getting in line to become a social worker right now so I don't see how Comrade Brown's plan can even work and thats not even taking the EU's stance on this kind of thing into consideration.

Then again I'm not expecting anything from Cameron either.

Looks like I'm voting Lib Dem at the next election if only for a change because I think it's time that people stopped bitching about the main two parties and actually did something about it.

Just don't vote BNP though :p

So, Gordon Brown says the Sun's switch of support from Labour to Conservative won't matter, as it's "people who decide elections, not newspapers".

Fine, but considering it's got some stroke considering it's the most circulated newspaper in the UK and many people who read it don't trawl their way through manifestos and instead go with the bullet points featured in tabloid papers such as this, it's not looking good, Gord.

Nick Robinson on bbc.co.uk:

Years ago, Britain's biggest selling daily boasted that "It was the Sun wot won it". In truth, it never was. The paper - which is first and foremost a commercial product - tends to follow its readers' views rather than set them.

I agree with him, although doubtless there are some Sun readers thick enough to vote the way James Murdoch tells them to.

• Paid Members

They pretty much are at this stage, but they need the type of massive lead they have at the moment to do it. That's partly because they have their support largely in one are (Southern England) so even if they increase their vote share across the country, it'll simply mean coming a strong second rather than a distance second in many areas.

For example, at electoralcalculus.co.uk, which keeps tracks of polls and makes seat by seat predictions, they currently have a prediction of 40% voting Conservative and 26% voting Labour. It only takes that being cut down to 38-28 for the Conservatives to be winning by a whisker, and 37-29 has a hung parliament. However, if Labour even matches the Conservatives they get a working majority. If Labour had a 37-29 lead, they'd have a three figure majority.

Newspapers today are a different animal to what they were back in, say, 1992. None of the newspapers these days are opinion formers. People barely look to the broadsheets for a political lead any more, never mind the gutter press. As someone posted a few posts back, this is more a case of The Sun following the national mood rather than setting it.

What's more interesting than the announcement that they are switching their support is the timing of it. It has been fairly well documented over the last six months to a year that Rupert Murdoch was heavily considering backing David Cameron. The fact that the Conservatives have been openly criticising the BBC and have hinted that they would relax the rules on news programmes requirement to show political balance (thus opening the way for the type of "news" broadcast you see on Fox) has obviously pleased the Dirty Digger.

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that the Tories are going to win the next general election anyway..?

That seems to be what an awful lot of people think. The irony being that the assumption that the Conservatives are going to win the next election is one of the main things that has saved Brown from being knifed by his own party and why buyers of government debt haven't trashed our credit rating and brought the country to it's knees leading to a change of goverment pretty much immediately.

Brown :love:Cameron.