The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

To be honest, it's probably for the best. Saves them batting too long, not giving themselves enough overs to bowl South Africa out in, and Morkel blocking out the last over to save the match.

• Paid Members

That pitch was tremendous. Such a refreshing change from the usual turgid, flat corporate 5 day pitches certain counties usually produce over here. In four days we saw 40 wickets, three decent totals and Root get 190(all on a pitch that was almost turning at right angles!). Honestly, what more could you want from a Test match?

And I agree with the Ali love! The bloke has come on leaps and bounds in the last year, and has gone from a batsmen who can bowl a bit to a genuine all rounder. Dawson did OK in the second innings two, but I'd have still gone for Rashid. He would have been almost unplayable on the fourth day... 

• Paid Members

About time we had a Lord's pitch with some life in it. I'm assuming England will stay unchanged for the second test but I hope that they don't just blindly stick with the same lineup, even if they're winning, because there are question marks over Ballance, Dawson, and Jennings as well. It's definitely a side that can improve.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

About time we had a Lord's pitch with some life in it. I'm assuming England will stay unchanged for the second test but I hope that they don't just blindly stick with the same lineup, even if they're winning, because there are question marks over Ballance, Dawson, and Jennings as well. It's definitely a side that can improve.

I'm inclined to agree with the likelihood of selection conservatism. 'Don't change a winning formula' and all that. Still would personally shift Dawson for Rashid. Or maybe an unlikely return for Fat Samit, who's having the season of his career with the bat.

First time I've seen Jennings play at test level and wasn't massively convinced by him. We shift openers so regularly that I don't mind giving him a bit more time, but struggle to see him nailing the place down long term. He looked very underwhelming, hard to put my finger on quite why.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Seeing lots of cricket this year as I got a Gloucestershire one day membership for Christmas. They were pretty hopeless in the one day cup as the batting strategy is "hope Klinger gets a decent score before he's out" and their fielding was ropey - OK for catches, but bad positioning letting too many fours through. It's also a bit weird to realise just how few people actually go to midweek county games -- probably 75% of wrestling shows I go to have a bigger crowd. 

Then this past week was something of a treat. The membership gets me womens world cup matches for a fiver, so on Wednesday I saw England-South Africa, which had the highest combined total ever in a womans ODI (beating the record by more than 100), the first ever womens ODI team to score 300 and lose, and the somewhat rare sight of an England player scoring 147 in a one day game and not being top scorer.

Friday was the first T20 of the year with Gloucestershire being 64 ahead with 26 balls left against Middlesex and somehow managing to almost throw it away, winding up tied going into the final ball, which thankfully was delivered to number nine in the batting order and caught by one of the tighter fielding circles you'll ever see.

And then yesterday England women started off badly in their attempt to beat Australia in the world cup for the first time since 1993, pegged it back to an almost respectable 259, then unleashed three hours of the most gloriously dull dot balls to produce another exciting finish until Australia needed six off the final ball and thankfully fell about 10 yards short. 

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

Surely there will be a change for Trent Bridge. You don't need two spinners, they will probably drop Dawson and bring in another batsman. Someone with the potential to bat at three so that when they do need a second spinner they can drop Ballance and rejig the order. 

• Paid Members

That's pretty much my reading on it too and considering both Ali and Stokes made good contributions with the bat at Lords, it would seem a bit ridiculous to shift them too much. 

It's a nice luxury to have, mind. Looking at the issues South Africa are having with selection puts it into context. Morris will probably come in for Rabada and then I would probably drop Duminy, who has been in atrocious form for a while, in favour of Faf. Still means you have some quite naff batsmen in the non-Elgar opener and Van Zyl.

• Paid Members

If anything, maybe England have too many all-rounders at the moment. When Woakes comes back, probably for Wood, there's another. It does create batting order problems and Woakes would probably be batting at 9 when he comes back.

The problem South Africa have is the quotas. If they lose Rabada and Duminy, then it's not as simple as bringing in Morris and du Plessis. They might have to find a place for Phehlukwayo as well. They're in a right mess.

Brilliant last 3 pages in this thread.

Someone mentioned about Warne bowling bouncers a little while back and he actually had a sound enough reason. He already had a deep square leg for the sweep shot, so if he could catch a batsman off guard and they played a shite pull shot to his bouncer, then his man was already out there. He wouldn't have to change the field and so the surprise factor was huge.

Then his shoulder fell off in about 98 and he couldn't bowl it anymore.

Anyway, continue with excellent reminiscing.