New Doctor Who

stewdogg

I disagree.

Case in point; the bit in this weeks episode where he grabbed the 'mic' and launched into that overblown, grandiose speech, essentially telling the incoming attackers that he is great and they should sod off. With Tennant's style being overt, cocky and somewhat arrogant that would have come off a bit dickish, whereas Smith's awkward, madcap, social outcast-ish style made it as cool as it had every reason to be. Same goes for the Weeping Angels speech which ended 'there's one thing that you should never, ever put in to a trap...ME'. With Tennant that would have come across as inexcusable cliched nonsense.

Oh, and something else that was cool this season;

Kid: 'Are you scared of monsters...?'

Doctor: 'No...They're scared of me.'

• Paid Members
I disagree.

Case in point; the bit in this weeks episode where he grabbed the 'mic' and launched into that overblown, grandiose speech, essentially telling the incoming attackers that he is great and they should sod off. With Tennant's style being overt, cocky and somewhat arrogant that would have come off a bit dickish, whereas Smith's awkward, madcap, social outcast-ish style made it as cool as it had every reason to be. Same goes for the Weeping Angels speech which ended 'there's one thing that you should never, ever put in to a trap...ME'. With Tennant that would have come across as inexcusable cliched nonsense.

Oh, and something else that was cool this season;

Kid: 'Are you scared of monsters...?'

Doctor: 'No...They're scared of me.'

Not so. In the Girl in the Fireplace episode, Tennant has a line at the beginning about monsters being scared of him.

I was sat on the edge of the sofa by the end, wide mouthed in awe. I just hope the next week flies by!.

Moffat is a genius.

The series really has stood alone and you can almost forget the RTD series' ever existed. Smith has proven his critics wrong in that he has not only shown himself a worthy match for Tennant, but I think I can safely say that given time, he may overtake Tennant as the greatest Doctor. I loved the last two episodes of the Tennant era and he's really had some memorable episodes that will keep him up there as one of the great Doctors, but the series has really moved away from clich

• Awards Moderator
I was sat on the edge of the sofa by the end, wide mouthed in awe. I just hope the next week flies by!.

Moffat is a genius.

The series really has stood alone and you can almost forget the RTD series' ever existed. Smith has proven his critics wrong in that he has not only shown himself a worthy match for Tennant, but I think I can safely say that given time, he may overtake Tennant as the greatest Doctor. I loved the last two episodes of the Tennant era and he's really had some memorable episodes that will keep him up there as one of the great Doctors, but the series has really moved away from clich

• Paid Members
I disagree.

To quote a friend of mine when I pointed this out on another forum.

Much of this series was written alongside the final Tennant episodes as they were working so far ahead.

According to Russell T Davies in his book, Steven Moffat did make a play for David Tennant to stay for Series 5 which seemingly nearly happened. With this in mind its likely that much of this series was written with Tennant as The Doctor with only rewrites hiding the most obvious Tennant traits.

The Angels/traps line could easily have been uttered by Tennant.

• Paid Members
Not liking this years Doctor Who, has been a big turn off for me.

That's fair enough, but why?

As for next weeks episode, it's called 'The Big Bang', which conjures up images of the universe being recreated all over again. I think it's going to be pretty epic.

I'm thinking they're gonna use this as an opportunity to alter a few things, for example, if it's correct the The Doctor can only regenerate 13 (?) times, maybe now he will actually only be on his first.

I remember Tennant saying he was tempted to stay because he was so impressed by what Moffat had planned, so obviously traits would be similar. Plus I see it as the Doctor getting used to what he is now, trying desperatley to be the what he used to be but failing.

Anyway I think the last episode was just phenomenal, absolutley stunning. Hopefully it gets a really good blow off, which having seen one or two spoiler pics, it looks like it will.

Plus will we find out who River Songs killed in this?

• Paid Members

Yeah dont get me wrong, I'm enjoying Smith as The Doctor. I think he's been hampered a bit with the writing, but he's giving a good showing and could be better than Tennant. Up to now I dont think he's as good as Tennant (or Davidson :p) but he's certainly better than McCoy and Colin Baker.

• Paid Members

If anyone wants to see some potentially spoilerific pictures from The Big Bang then HERE YOU GO These are from the rather excellent Doctorwhotv website.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

So the theory is that the doctor remains in the Pandorica for around 2000 years when amy as a little child or Amelia enters a museum and releases him somehow. THis may also trigger off some form of parrallel time lines and we may get to find out why Amelia became Amy. Also it has been noted that while on set filming the Doctor was seen in top hat and tails as if he had 'just attended a wedding'

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

There is far too much Tennant love in here; I always thought the bloke was fucking awful. All gnashing of teeth and Mockney accent and smug hyperactivity... I never could figure out why he was supposedly "the best Doctor ever". He made me cringe on a weekly basis, frankly.

Smith, on the other hand, has done OK this series, and I'm sure his best is yet to come.

Edited by Jimmy Rammstein

I'm also interested as to why, in the first episode of the series, when The Doctor came back to the village 12 years late he seemed to start to regenerate. By the duck pond, he convulsed, sat down and said 'No. Not now, I'm not finished yet'...

I'm wondering if there is something to do with the timeline going to be revealed. Oh, I don't bloody know.