New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members
Random useless snippet of info, but the blonde vampire is one of my sister's friends.

She was also just about the only one I didn't fancy :(

you mean Gabriella Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe, the one out of st trinnians?

That's the one. Never met her myself, but her and my sister go to the same art school. I beleive her family's bankrolling their entire years degree show.

EDIT: And for another tedious bit of bragging/info I recently remembered that my uncle played a Dalek. No idea what era though since most of the family didn't like him and weren't bothered enough to remember (and he's since passed on), although I'm lead to beleive it was during the Pertwee days....

Edited by CoreyVandal

• 1 month later...

Ultimate Hamlet. Literally everyone dies. I've no idea what's happening next week.

Anyone else spot the Evil Dead reference? The cables coming out of the severed Cyberman head wrapped around Amy's leg exactly like in the Tree Rape scene.

Anyone else spot the Evil Dead reference? The cables coming out of the severed Cyberman head wrapped around Amy's leg exactly like in the Tree Rape scene.

I've noticed quite a few movie/TV references or themes this series. Quite often seems to be a nod to something they have stolen

The Liz 10 story being very reminicent of The Matrix

In the dalek episode the space attack on the mothership is very like the attack on the death star and/or attack on the mothership in Independence Day and I swear if you listen one of the ships makes a noise like the Tie-Fighters in Star Wars

In the James Corden episode the doctor quotes the spiel of the emergency medical programme from Star Trek before the hologram appears, from where the idea was blatently taken

There have been a few more but to be honest i'm struggling to think of them at the momment. Has anybody else noted anny movie/tv nods this series

Loved it, im really enjoying Matt as the doctor.

Nothing can come close to the vincent episode though

The Van Gogh episode was perfect. And the scene where Vincent was taking in the modern reception to his work, in tears, whilst a perfectly cast Bill Nighy waxed lyrical about his hero had me choked.

I was livid, bloody livid, when the day after I read a review of the show that said it was confusing that Van Gogh died anyway, and that showing him the future mustn't have had any point. But, surely the point of it (and the wider point about mental health), was that just being shown the good doesn't always change things. In fact, the Doctor said as much.

The Van Gogh episode was perfect. And the scene where Vincent was taking in the modern reception to his work, in tears, whilst a perfectly cast Bill Nighy waxed lyrical about his hero had me choked.

I was livid, bloody livid, when the day after I read a review of the show that said it was confusing that Van Gogh died anyway, and that showing him the future mustn't have had any point. But, surely the point of it (and the wider point about mental health), was that just being shown the good doesn't always change things. In fact, the Doctor said as much.

Agreed, I didn't think I'd like the Van Gogh episode when seeing the preview but I thought it was as close to a perfect Dr. Who episode as is possible. I loved how they dealt with his depression and didn't shy away from the subject of suicide despite the fact this is primarily a kids show.

This weeks episode was purely brilliant and epic, but I don't know whether next weeks will be able to match up to the hype given to it by this weeks cliffhanger.

• Awards Moderator

Agreed, I didn't think I'd like the Van Gogh episode when seeing the preview but I thought it was as close to a perfect Dr. Who episode as is possible. I loved how they dealt with his depression and didn't shy away from the subject of suicide despite the fact this is primarily a kids show.

This weeks episode was purely brilliant and epic, but I don't know whether next weeks will be able to match up to the hype given to it by this weeks cliffhanger.

Agreed with both of you on the Vincent episode. And that scene choked me up too... beautiful and brilliant and perfect.

I'm certain I will be furiously shat on by long-time "proper" fans for saying this, but I've never enjoyed Dr Who as much as I have this series. It's been excellent week in week out.

I'm certain I will be furiously shat on by long-time "proper" fans for saying this, but I've never enjoyed Dr Who as much as I have this series. It's been excellent week in week out.

I agree with you, this has been the best overall series since the Eccleston one. David Tennant was brilliant, but was hampered by some dreadful scripts *cough* RTD *cough*.

This series has been great for a number of reasons: Matt Smith is a good actor and is naturally likeable. The assistant actually has a personality. Moffat is the best writer Dr. Who has ever had. The comedy is actually funny as opposed to bad slapstick and gurning. And RTD is nowhere to be seen.

I think my only complaints about this series is that new Theme Tune is a bit cack and that it isn't on for longer.

• Paid Members

I spent the whole episode thinking that it was going to be Amy leaving that drove him to suicide.

Agree with whats been said, amazing episode, that and this weeks have been top notch. Cant wait to see what happens.

The great thing about the Van Gogh episode was that it left with loads of reasons as to why he may have committed suicide, without feeling the need to arbitrarily point it out to you.

As for next weeks episode, it's called 'The Big Bang', which conjures up images of the universe being recreated all over again. I think it's going to be pretty epic.

I love Smith's doctor. This sounds stupid, but it feels like Who has forgotten, for too long, that essentially the lead character is an alien. At differing points in the past he's been portrayed as an affable yorkshire man with a patronising reason why; jesus; an all conquering alpha male; a vulnerable guy with a tortured past; an old romantic etc..

This feels like the first time in a while the character of the doctor has actually been taken into consideration, rather than being an inconvenience to an otherwise straightforward melodrama.

Oh, and the line '...I just made them say comfy chairs' was bloody genius.