What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Whats the deal with this 'Arrow' I have seen adverts for on TV? Anyone know if it's any good. Is it something to do with DC's Green Arrow, or totaly non-related?

From what I've read up about it it's meant to be based on the Green Arrow comics but barely mentions it, hence why it's just called Arrow

In other news Red Dwarf X starts tonight on Dave, the teasers have gave me hope that it's gonna be more early Dwarf than the later series so I hope it's not disappointing

• Moderators

Hmmm....

"WENTWORTH" - NEW SERIES INFO

We know there's plenty of information online about the new forthcoming "Wentworth" series. Some of you may have missed some bits and pieces so we have summarised everything we know below:

WHAT IS WENTWORTH?

Wentworth is a modern day prison drama series, due to begin filming soon in Australia.

WHAT IS THE CONNECTION TO PRISONER?

The writers are using the original Prisoner storylines and characters as inspiration for the new series.

IS IT A REMAKE OF PRISONER? OR A PREQUAL? OR A CONTINUATION?

It isn't any of the three. The series is set in the current day and will be based in a detention centre called Wentworth. Some character names such as Bea Smith and Meg Jackson will be used although their story arcs are going to be set before we got to know those original characters in Prisoner. In some cases their story arcs may differ from what we currently know the characters as - for example, Meg Jackson will be the prison's Governor and Erica Davidson will be a Lawyer.

SO WHY CALL IT 'THE NEW PRISONER'?

The storylines, scripts and characters are being used by the writers to inspire a brand new series. Although the storylines haven't been released to the public yet, we believe that Bea Smith is a suburban house wife and a mother. As we understand it, Wentworth begins by looking at Bea's life before she arrives in prison. How far ahead in Bea's story it begins we don't know.

It is a new version Prisoner in a way because we will be familiar with the character names, some of the stories and of course the actual prison too. There will be other characters and storylines which are brand new to the series.

So in short, it is a brand new show but with lots of historic influence from Prisoner.

ARE ANY OF THE ORIGINAL CAST FEATURED?

No. At the moment the cast line up is a brand new one and none of the original Prisoner cast are included. You need to look at this from the point of view that Prisoner was filmed in the 70s and 80s and with absolute due respect to the original actors, a number of them are now outside of the age range that the series needs. A lot of the original actors are now in their 70s and this wouldn't be suitable for them to play the same characters that they did over 30 years ago. Some actors are sadly no longer with us.

Depending on how successful the series becomes there is always a chance that some of the original Prisoner actors may be invited to make some guest appearances, probably playing different characters, but this remains to be seen.

WHICH ACTORS ARE BEING FEATURED AND WHAT ARE THE CHARACTER NAMES?

Prisoner Bea Smith - DANIELLE CORMACK (Underbelly, Razor, Rake)

Prisoner Franky Doyle - NICOLE DA SILVA (Rush, East West 101)

Prisoner Doreen Anderson - SHAREENA CLANTON

Prisoner Liz Birdsworth - CELIA IRELAND (Laid, All Saints)

Prisoner Jacs Holt - KRIS MCQUADE (Killing Time, The Circuit)

Governor Meg Jackson - CATHERINE MCCLEMENTS (Rush, Tangle, Water Rats)

Deputy Governor Vera Bennett - KATE ATKINSON (Offspring, Rush)

Officer Matthew 'Fletch' Fletcher - AARON JEFFERY (Underbelly Badness, McLeod's Daughters)

Officer Will Jackson - ROBBIE MAGASIVA (Shortland Street)

Lawyer Erica Davidson - LEEANNA WALSMAN (Underbelly Badness)

WILL WE SEE OTHER FAMILIAR NAMES SUCH AS JOAN FERGUSON AND JUDY BRYANT?

It is too early to tell at this stage as those characters originally arrived much later than the storylines being used initially.

WILL THERE BE A LAUNDRY ROOM FEATURING THE FAMOUS STEAM PRESS?

We don't know at the moment.

WHERE WILL THE SERIES BE FILMED?

The original Prisoner sets have long been destroyed and the series will be filmed at a brand new location in a purpose built prison set in the Melbourne suburb of Clayton.

HAS FILMING STARTED YET?

Filming is due to begin shortly, this month.

WHEN WILL IT BE ON TELEVISION?

In Australia, Wentworth will premier in 2013 on the SoHo channel.

WILL IT BE SHOWN IN THE UK, USA OR ANYWHERE ELSE?

At the moment there are no plans to screen the series outside of Australia that we are aware of, however we believe that it is likely to be sold to overseas networks so we will have to wait and see if and when that happens.

HOW MANY EPISODES ARE BEING MADE?

We understand that initially 10 will be filmed.

So that more or less covers everything we know so far. We're suggesting that everyone approaches Wentworth with an open mind - good things could happen with this series, not least the fact that it is bringing employment to over 300 cast and crew, just like Prisoner did all of those years ago. It is an absolute tribute to Prisoner that it is being used as inspiration for a brand new series and we think that television is ready again for a drama set in a female prison... with a 2012 twist. Give it a chance when it airs and take it from there!

Hoping for a story arc involving this bad boy -

Jock.jpg

Hopefully Lizzie Birdsworth will get into the grog again as well.

Edited by PowerButchi

I can certainly see why people would hate it. I really liked it and zoomed through it. It's a comedy without any jokes, and you just sort of let it take you where it wants to go. It's random but not the annoying kind of random that has become popular through things like the Mighty Boosh and shit like that. I don't really watch sketch shows that much, though it doesn't feel too much like one. It has recurring characters but without relying on a catchphrase. I like how with each episode you see one small part of this larger area and every now and then they cross over. I think it loses a lot of the appeal outside of America, because the north-west has a perception in America of being very disconnected or "over there", and stuck in another time period, which those outside of America wouldn't get. As a project by two people who I'm assuming are from that area, I like it. It's on IFC in America so a bit like Louie, they're given free-reign to do what they like.

Edited by dharmabear

• Paid Members

Conspiracy Roadtrip - Creationsim

This was never going to end well, because every production of evidence or counter argument is seen as a direct attack on their faith and the walls go up immediately.

It also featured possibly the most spineless answer to a debate ever. When discussing Noah's ark, and how logistically impossible it woud be, the scientist asked them where the whales would go. Rather than argue, one of the creationists answered, "Well, if you asked an expert in these things, he could tell you".

The other bit - that they didn't really pick up on - was when super-creationist-man was sat at a table full of fossilised skulls and denying the theory of evolution, he said that God suddenly forbade incestuous breeding, as it was causing too much genetic mutation. I would have thought that someone who didn't accept mutation through evolutive breeding, wouldn't believe in mutation through procreation at all.

I can certainly see why people would hate it. I really liked it and zoomed through it. It's a comedy without any jokes, and you just sort of let it take you where it wants to go. It's random but not the annoying kind of random that has become popular through things like the Mighty Boosh and shit like that.

See, I thought it was very similar to Mighty Boosh and that sort of shit. I can imagine people describing it as "random" and "quirky" and both of those can fuck off and die in a car crash with Ross Noble. It's not much more than The Fast Show for hipster wankers to have a safe little laugh at their foibles. "LOL I also enquire about how ethically my food was produced and use many gadgets frequently! LOL popup ads!"

That "the dream of the nineties is alive in Portland" song was catchy though. And I did like the way it was shot. There's a weird gloom and grime over it, similar to Louie. It's just the content I couldn't be doing with. I think I'd be happier with a sitcom from the Portlandia team rather than the terrible sketches.

• Paid Members
Conspiracy Roadtrip - Creationsim

This was never going to end well, because every production of evidence or counter argument is seen as a direct attack on their faith and the walls go up immediately.

It also featured possibly the most spineless answer to a debate ever. When discussing Noah's ark, and how logistically impossible it woud be, the scientist asked them where the whales would go. Rather than argue, one of the creationists answered, "Well, if you asked an expert in these things, he could tell you".

The other bit - that they didn't really pick up on - was when super-creationist-man was sat at a table full of fossilised skulls and denying the theory of evolution, he said that God suddenly forbade incestuous breeding, as it was causing too much genetic mutation. I would have thought that someone who didn't accept mutation through evolutive breeding, wouldn't believe in mutation through procreation at all.

That show was the funniest thing on BBC3. Poor Andrew Maxwell having to deal with those people. Super-Christian asked the best question; "Is this a gay church?" It was like he expected the inside to be painted pink and the vicar to stroll out singing I am what I am.

I did find the whole premise of the show flawed though. Trying to change people of faiths mind by presenting evidence is never going to work. They believe they have no need for evidence and their answer is always "God done it" when they can't answer for themselves