What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

In regards to How To Be A Gentleman it got shifted around its channel's schedule in America so much, got fully axed after 3 episodes to be brought back a month or so back to finish off the series in America.

After the opening show, it got axed down to 9 episodes so they could cancel production immediately.

Fucking dreadful show by all accounts.

• Moderators
NewsRadio was one of the sitcoms I watched every night on the Paramount Channel I think, and I never liked it as much as the other stuff on there. Did it start on TV here not long after Phil Hartman's death? I don't remember much of it now, other than not liking Dave Foley's face and loving Maura Tierney. Was Joe Rogan's character basically Joey from Friends?

I was all about Maura when I watched it back then, but on rewatch it's been all about Catherine. It's a perfect curve of her getting hotter as the show goes on, to the extent that in the episode she leaves the show she looks ridiculous.

Joe's character (electrician) kinda started as the blue collar schlub to offset all the suits, but it's interesting now knowing more about him you can see his influence - his character becomes a total conspiracy nut, and he even managed to work in a bunch of references to UFC and MMA.

• Paid Members
Just watched Episode 4 of The Newsroom, possibly the best 20 minutes of television I've watched this year at the end, brilliant.

Sam Waterson and Jeff Daniels must be shoe ins for some award nominations surely in the next 12 months?

Fuck, I completely forgot I have episodes 3 & 4 on Sky+ yet to watch. Might give them a watch now, thanks for reminding me! I think they've both been very good in this so far.

There is an absolutely tremendous interview with Gore Vidal from 2008 on BBC right now. If it's on iPlayer, it's well worth a watch. The man had an aura of such intelligence about him, it's both an absolute delight, but simultaneously intimidating to watch him speak.

In the last week I have watched almost a hundred episodes of News Radio (all off the back of someone on here mentioning Stephen Root being in Star Trek).

Ah, that'd be me!

And yes, starting the Arrested Development rewatch today.

• Paid Members
NewsRadio was one of the sitcoms I watched every night on the Paramount Channel I think, and I never liked it as much as the other stuff on there. Did it start on TV here not long after Phil Hartman's death?

They were definitely showing it before Hartman died because I'm sure i remember letters on the channel's Mailbox teletext page paying tribute to him.

• Paid Members

Which season of Arrested Development would people say is the best one? It's just I downloaded season one and it's really not impressing me so far. I'm finding it funny but only in chunks, some episodes I've only laughed maybe once or twice. Is it just one of those slow starters?

• Paid Members
Which season of Arrested Development would people say is the best one? It's just I downloaded season one and it's really not impressing me so far. I'm finding it funny but only in chunks, some episodes I've only laughed maybe once or twice. Is it just one of those slow starters?

I think I got hooked around the last batch of season 1 episodes and season 2 really kicks everything up a notch, from their I passionately fell madly in love with the show. Now after I have gone back to season 1 the episodes that didn't get much of a reaction out of me on the first view now have me in tears of laughter.

Some people say the quality started to dip in season 3, those people are idiots. Overall the best episode is probably Good Grief from season 2.