What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator
The new Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton show Inside No. 9 was great. It was almost like a mini play.

On a recent interview Shearsmith said that was exactly what they were aiming for, after they did that single room episode of Psychoville.

And yeah, that was as tremendous as you would expect from those two and a bumper cast. Some of the upcoming episodes sound brill.

The connotation that it's a community of people on benefits? That's the whole point of the show

Exactly. The whole point is not to show a 'community' it is is too jump on the Benefit Bashing Bandwagon that is present in out current climate. The fact they've put the word in the title means they know exactly what they're trying to do.

• Paid Members
The connotation that it's a community of people on benefits? That's the whole point of the show

Exactly. The whole point is not to show a 'community' it is is too jump on the Benefit Bashing Bandwagon that is present in out current climate. The fact they've put the word in the title means they know exactly what they're trying to do.

Did you watch it? There seemed to be a pretty prevalent community to me.

If what they're trying to do is wind up pure idiots from both extremes, then fair play to them, because they've done it masterfully. How exactly does this show bash benefits, though? By having a fairly tight-knit community of people that live on fuck all money and help each other out, or by stating that benefit cuts force people with no prospects into crime?

• Paid Members

Anyone watch Louie? Iv'e enjoyed him whenever hes popped up in things so I thought i'd give it a go, and am a few eps in. Few questions, does it have any storylines or is it just vignettes and stand up intertwined? Is his humor really black and vulgar? Iv'e only really seen him in films and sitcoms so iv'e been abit surprised by it so far.

• Paid Members
Anyone watch Louie?

Most of the episodes have a self contained storyline, often interspersed with fantasy that you know isn't happening but is presented like it is if that makes sense. The humour is pretty black and I feel like it's trying a bit hard to be different and edgy but it does have some good moments, it loses it a bit for me when there are entire episodes that are dark and downbeat with no humour to speak of. There are some great moments in season 3, including a long several episode spanning storyline where he tries to get a big new gig that is really good (David Lynch guest stars in it and he's amazing). If you like what you're watching so far stick with it, I never loved it but have watched it all so it must've kept my interest somewhat as I'm very disloyal with TV shows. If you're not enjoying it and waiting for it to change it will probably get less enjoyable for you.

I lived his sitcom Lucky Louie though, it only lasted a season but I liked it much more than Louie, it even made my top 10 sitcoms list in the thread on here.

• Paid Members

It's not that i'm not enjoying it just a little surprised with it I guess. It has its moments but your right it does seem to try very hard to be out there. Iv'e heard huge praise for it over the years so i'll stick with it for now and see how it goes. Has made me laugh a few times at least.

I love Louie, great show and has some really funny moments. I find it like as a mix of Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm (two of my other favorite US comedies). There is some great episodes, and it has some great guest stars, I enjoyed the episode with Doug Stanhope and David Lynch is great in the finale of Series 3. Looking forward to the new series.

It's not that i'm not enjoying it just a little surprised with it I guess. It has its moments but your right it does seem to try very hard to be out there. Iv'e heard huge praise for it over the years so i'll stick with it for now and see how it goes. Has made me laugh a few times at least.

I don't think it's so much trying too hard to be out there it's that the show is basically Louis CK just doing whatever he feels like doing on a week by week basis. So the format, continuity and genre (most importantly whether it's a comedy or not) changes frequently. Not for everyone and certainly if you just want something to make you laugh for 20 minutes it's not a sure thing.

But it's got well deserved praise for being daring, fascinating, smart as hell and for the fact that shows like this (allowing a single voice a chance to say what they feel is worth saying) are good for TV

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

Just watched the latest episode of True Detective. Fucking hell! If you aren't watching this you need to get on it. The final 10 minutes of this was one of the most tense, badass, crazy action sequences I have ever seen. It was so tense it felt like it was an hour long. Amazing stuff we're getting on TV these days.