UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

WWE should release a DVD called "The Best of Stuff Everyone Has Seen Loads". You could have Hogan vs Andre, DX Invading WCW, Austin spraying beer at Vince and Rock, the Montreal Screwjob.

WCW Bonus Disc

Flair v Sting - Clash Of The Champions

Steamboat v Austin - US Title match

Hogan v Giant @ Hog Wild

Goldberg v Hollywood Hogan @ Georgia Dome

3 Count in a Ladder Match

Goldberg v DDP @ Hallowen Havoc 98

Goldberg v Nash @ Starrcade 98

I think I might have lost he use of my legs with sheer delight during every big moment on Raw in the late 90s. The beer bath and the night Austin turned up in the ice resurfacer and clotheslined Vince off it was amazing. Pre-spoiler days, just sitting down and watching it was the best feeling in the world. Those are like wrestlings version Trigger falling through the bar. Moments like that are always going to be replayed over and over again because of their significance.

I think the big part of why wrestling isnt popular is how wrestling has established in a formula. You pretty much know what you are getting these days. If Austin came around with that character when you had Doink running around and Duke Droese messing about, Raw wouldn't have caught on. He'd have been over and a big star, but the business wasnt set up for a boom period the why Raw was presented in 95. Raw had to change the way they formatted the show, changed the way they booked things, changed the colour scheme and logo and started presenting something totally different. There seemed to be a drastic change in Raw from being quite dull to suddenly things happened all the time. Everything clicked around the same time. It was an amazing period to be a fan. I think now would be a good time to change the way WWE puts Raw together. They've still got the big screen, the big ramp, the promo to start the show. Not much has changed in years. I think they could spice things up a bit more.

I do think that the jump from say 1995 - 2005 is a big one. The jump from 2005 - 2014 not so much. There seemed to be more differences in culture in general over the decades though. The Office aired in 2001, but I still think it looks relevant today. 1988's programming seemed very different to 2001's though. That's part of why it's difficult to have another 'boom period'. 80s was about excess and wrestling was OTT with roided up men, glitz and glamour. 90s was a comedown; grunge was in vogue in the early 90s, trash TV was in vogue in the latter half. You had more rebellious music like nu-metal. In both instances, wrestling clicked with society. Social media is the big thing now, but I still think TV programmes are struggling to really integrate it. The WWE app being at the forefront of technology could be big for them but, at $60, I don't see lapsed fans getting it en masse.

In short...er...what was the point again? Yeah, change the set.

How about WWE vines? A 7 second video of an Evan Bourne SSP, Tensai throwing Ziggler like a ragdoll into a chair etc. Fuck it, WWE should embrace NekNominations and have Sheamus downing Guinness and Punk downing Pepsi.

Honestly, I apologise for this being an incoherent mess.

• Paid Members
Same goes for DX invading WCW. Never thought it was that good.

That's because you were about four years old.

I know. I meant the 400 times i've seen it repeated it since.

You didn't live it - you're missing context and the excitement of that era.

It was still nowhere near as hilarious or exciting as was made out now, or at the time. I remember watching it at the time thinking it was a bit lame and not that controversial to be driving a jeep around near an arena where another show was going on.

• Paid Members

It was still nowhere near as hilarious or exciting as was made out now, or at the time. I remember watching it at the time thinking it was a bit lame and not that controversial to be driving a jeep around near an arena where another show was going on.

Yeah, it wasn't amazing - but my point was just that a lot of highlight clips could seem overhyped without the context of the times they happened in.

Why did we never get Rock/Hogan Vs Hall/Nash at Backlash 2002? Seemed the logical way to go after the end of Rock/Hogan the month before.

Was it The Quad Tear? Did Rock disappear to Hollywood? Did Vince try and cash in on Hogan winning the belt? Have I answered my own question?

Am I right that Hogan was younger in that run than HHH is now?

No - Hogan was 49 (according to his Wiki), and Trips is now 45. Not far off, though.

It's scary how old wrestlers have gotten. Back in the late 90s Terry Funk looked so old and fragile. I was constantly thinking "please be careful with him". This year's WrestleMania is likely to have a fair handful of middle-aged gents of similar age to Funk's age then in prominent positions.