UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Probably would have kept going. Ted Turner would still be in control and he always liked the grappling.

People shat on the "Goodwill Games" but I loved them. Merger forced him to leave that too. He'd have kept that going.

Seems like old Ted got the shaft a lot after the merger.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
There was a documentary on CNN over here called "Ted Turner - The Maverick Man", which was a biography of his whole life and it never once mentioned wrestling or WCW. Two things: 1) Was WCW really that much of a non-event in the Turner empire that it doesn't warrant a meniton? 2) If the answer to 1) is no, who is airbrushing them from history? Or could it be because WWE has the rights to the tape library? It wasn't a bad show by any means, but I waited for a whole hour to see some wrestling and was bitterly disappointed :p

I used to work at Turner in London, and for the whole time I was there the company made a concerted effort to distance themselves from WCW, even though this is years after Ted Turner was edged out during the AOL merger (who incidentally have since been edged out). I once asked someone who had been there for years why this was the case, and I was told it was best for my career not to mention WCW around anyone in management, and it was a very touchy subject.

So yep, I think it's safe to say CNN and Turner in general do not want to be associated in any way with WCW, even in a a historical context, which likely contributed to it not being featured on a CNN produced doc.

I used to work at Turner in London, and for the whole time I was there the company made a concerted effort to distance themselves from WCW, even though this is years after Ted Turner was edged out during the AOL merger (who incidentally have since been edged out). I once asked someone who had been there for years why this was the case, and I was told it was best for my career not to mention WCW around anyone in management, and it was a very touchy subject.

So yep, I think it's safe to say CNN and Turner in general do not want to be associated in any way with WCW, even in a a historical context, which likely contributed to it not being featured on a CNN produced doc.

That's really interesting, thanks.

When was the awesome 'Badstreet USA' song and video filmed, and was it filmed for any particular angle? I assume they were in WCCW At the time.

Pretty sure it was actually part of the UWF nothing to back that up other than a vauge recollection of seeing something UWF related during a clip of the video

• Paid Members

I've got this soundbyte stuck in my head right now. Can anybody help me from where it is from? It's Bobby Heenan saying..

"He tried his best. Come on! He tried his best!". Somebody then boots into somebody lying on the deck. Any help?

I'm sure it's from the WWF.

Thanks!

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Is the best of In your house dvd/Blu ray blurred out with the old WWF logo's or not.

I know it's not done now on stuff but I'm not sure from when it stopped being in effect.

Many Thanks in advance

• Paid Members

Is there any legal deal WWE has to do anytime a wrestler's attire is a rip off/homage to a movie/video game/etc?

Like how Rey used to base a lot of his outfits off of Superheros, or Kofi and Zack Ryder both had Ghostbusters themed outfits. Do they need to get permission from those that own the rights to the certain franchises or because their manipulating the images to co-incide with their own logos are they managing to escape it?

Bit of a random question I know.

Ive been thinking about adding some Japanese wrestling to my collection however if there are any Puro guys on here who could point me to some good stuff.

Ive basically got AJPW stuff from 83 - 89 and New Japan side 1991 - 96ish. Have a handful of Noah & GAEA stuff that whatever The Wrestling Channel broadcasted when they were about. AJW stuff stacks from 80s to late 90s.

Hustle a few of the first few shows & SWS all the stuff Eurosport aired.

Would there be anything else around these years or other promotions I should be looking out for?

I could be wrong, but wouldn't it be that Raw in 09 when Jesse Ventura was guest host and he got Vince out so they could call the main event Battle Royal to crown a #1 Contender? It was a pretty spectacular disappointment to listen to actually, they were both shit (and I like Vince's commentary).

I could be wrong, but wouldn't it be that Raw in 09 when Jesse Ventura was guest host and he got Vince out so they could call the main event Battle Royal to crown a #1 Contender? It was a pretty spectacular disappointment to listen to actually, they were both shit (and I like Vince's commentary).

Thats what I was thinking

To be fair, from memory I'd say there was 10% effort on calling the match and the rest of the attention was talking amongst themselves. Haven't watched it since it aired though so could be wrong on that memory. Vince was in a lovely bow tie though.

09vincebowtie.jpg