The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

I do love a good Spontaneous Human Combustion story, especially one that shits on the theories of why it happens.

Video quality isn't too good, but here's the documentary Bruce Dickinson did on it some years back that I remember was pretty decent.

We also have a new UFO video doing the rounds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/unidentified-flying-object-navy.html

SHC and a flying saucer. We just need a poltergeist and a bigfoot sighting and we've got all the ingredients of a Usborne book on the unexplained.

• Moderators

It's cool that these paragraphs were published, not on Infowars, or BestTrueAlienNews.ru, but in a Pentagon-approved NY Times article...

Under Mr. Bigelow’s direction, the company modified buildings in Las Vegas for the storage of metal alloys and other materials that Mr. Elizondo and program contractors said had been recovered from unidentified aerial phenomena.

A 2009 Pentagon briefing summary of the program prepared by its director at the time asserted that “what was considered science fiction is now science fact,” and that the United States was incapable of defending itself against some of the technologies discovered.

...and nobody gives a shit. This whole idea that everything from Close Encounters to the X-Files has been a deliberate effort to desensitise us to the announcement of alien contact seems to have worked too well.

• Paid Members

In my mind, it makes perfect sense that the Pentagon would be investigating UFO sightings. Unidentified flying thing, flying about in US airspace? Is it aliens, is it a Russian plane, is it a missile? Let's investigate.

And, of course, it stops people focusing on the traditional target of UFO related shenanigans, Area 51.

I'm not sure the Zodiac Killer fits into Fortean or Paranormal or Conspiracy but it's probably the most intriguing mystery I've ever read about.

The movie by David Fincher was very good.

Some good documentaries and theories about who it is/was online.

It's been a while since I read the book, written by the guy Jake Gyllenhaal played in the movie; I remember enjoying it but then reading that a lot of the stuff in the book was discredited.

Graysmith is his name.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I'm not sure the Zodiac Killer fits into Fortean or Paranormal or Conspiracy but it's probably the most intriguing mystery I've ever read about.

That's a bit of a moot statement on its own. What other intriguing mysteries have you read about?

32 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

I shared this with Woy on Twitter. Almost certainly a hoax by those involved, but why? Just to skive off work? Seems a bit big of a lie to commit to just for that.

The Woolwich Foot Tunnel Anomaly.

"The foreman stopped trusting watches and phones when we were down there, and took to using egg-timers. A few of the young agency lads tried to claim extra on their time sheets."

That is wonderful.

• Paid Members

Two things, in an era of smart phones there'd be video evidence of this surely. And if time ran slower in the tunnel why didn't they get the work done on time and not run over like they did?

I really want to see a TV Show produced on this. The hijinx of folks in the tunnel, someone wanting to catch up on a Netflix boxset to avoid spoilers nipping down and watching the lot before his mates down the pub have finished their pint and conversation on the matter.

• Moderators
On 30/12/2017 at 9:14 AM, Steve Justice said:

I shared this with Woy on Twitter. Almost certainly a hoax by those involved, but why? Just to skive off work? Seems a bit big of a lie to commit to just for that.

The Woolwich Foot Tunnel Anomaly.

Regarding this, spoilers if you want to preserve the magic

Click the top of the page; it's a fiction site. I'm sure in part because of how evocative and well-written it is, it's still a pretty good example of how quickly these stories spread and get passed around, Chinese Whispers style, until they become actual folklore, because everywhere I've seen this discussed, nobody's clicked anything else on that page and realised it's a collection of fictional stories of the same ilk.