The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

Always got a tingle in my willy when Astro posts in this thread. Ā Back in the thread, he and Loki had some fascinating and informative discussions about cryptozoology. Ā Almost made me want to live in the Washington state wilderness for a few months.

On 7/3/2017 at 4:30 PM, King Coconut said:

I can't watch it. You can probably tell by my contributions to this thread that I have no tolerance whatsoever for this shit. I can stretch to 10 minutes laughing at the bigfoot hunters before I start screaming at the TV. Ancient Aliens had no chance.Ā 

Best enjoyed with Action Bronson -Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Cryptozoogly has always fascinated me.

I posted a long time back aboutĀ Dyatlov Pass incident, the more i look into it the stranger it gets, im all for the attacked by a yeti theory however unlikely it may be.

I recommend anything byĀ Karl P. N. Shuker in terms of really good accounts ofĀ cryptids.

• Paid Members

Not really, Ā every theoryĀ has holes in it.

Avalanche i guess would be the number one theory but no evidence was found of that. The bodies would have been swept away. The massive injury caused to someĀ of the hikers is baffling one had a crack skull, one had crushed ribs.Ā 

Ā 

I find the fact atleast one of them tried to climb a tree quite odd toĀ 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Doesn't Dyatlov Pass have a pretty logical theory?Ā 

Hypothermia. In many cases, people dying from it will become disorientated and think that they're actually really hot, so strip out of all their clothes. The tongues were missing because they were the piece of meat most exposed to predators, and giving off bodyheat. The super weird stuff about lights in the sky and radiation wasn't part of the initial report and got added later, becoming part of the legend from then on. For another example of that, see Springheel Jack, where the first reports were just of a man knocking on doors and scaring people, but then some wag at a newspaper added "he was belching blue flame!" to make for cooler copy, and from that point on, every retelling of the story had the blue flame.

• Paid Members

Quality contributions from Bomber and Astro there. Despite being a super scepticĀ I am desperate to be entertained by the world of the unexplained and paranormal, it fascinated me as a kid. As has been discussed though, it's almost difficult to follow this sort of stuff now without wading through seas of absolute nonsense. It's a world hijacked by the most ridiculous nutcases.

Funny you should mention Springheeled Jack, Astro. That was one of my favourite mysteries when I was a kid.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Hypothermia. In many cases, people dying from it will become disorientated and think that they're actually really hot, so strip out of all their clothes. The tongues were missing because they were the piece of meat most exposed to predators, and giving off bodyheat. The super weird stuff about lights in the sky and radiation wasn't part of the initial report and got added later, becoming part of the legend from then on. For another example of that, see Springheel Jack, where the first reports were just of a man knocking on doors and scaring people, but then some wag at a newspaper added "he was belching blue flame!" to make for cooler copy, and from that point on, every retelling of the story had the blue flame.

They by all accounts cut the tent from the inside, and fled outward what ever they thought was outside made them flee? all of them at once not just one or two. They tried to light a fire from the tree line but failed, some of the other bodies where found wearing the others clothes so at least some of them knew to try and stay warm, thus they went back and looted the dead.Ā 

CopiedĀ 

Another hypothesis popularized byĀ Donnie Eichar's 2013 bookĀ Dead MountainĀ is that wind going around Holatchahl Mountain created aĀ KĆ”rmĆ”n vortex street, which can produceĀ infrasoundĀ capable of inducingĀ panic attacksĀ in humans.[12][13]Ā According to Eichar's theory, theĀ infrasoundĀ generated by the wind as it passed over the top of the Holatchahl mountain was responsible for causing physical discomfort and mental distress in the hikers.[12]Ā Eichar claims that, because of their panic, the hikers were driven to leave the tent by whatever means necessary, and fled down the slope. By the time they were further down the hill, they would have been out of the infrasound's path and would have regained their composure, but in the darkness would be unable to return to their shelter

• Paid Members

If it was purely psychological/mental mind-fuck, then how did they sustain the injuries that they did?

Ā 

I had to deal with a semi naked hypothermic person a few years back. We were literally fighting to put clothes on them that they insisted they were already wearing.

Before that day I totally underestimated how severely hypothermia effects the mind.Ā 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

the Brooke Bond tea cards about unexplained mysteries,

I had a friend whose parents drank Brooke Bond and gave me a bunch of his spares of these. They were probably the first photos I saw of unexplained things and I remember these particular ones vividly.

szdijs.jpg

The Loch Ness Monster! Photographic proof! And that crazy, giant tadpole thing.

Two of the best though were these:

2ed6udy.jpg

This one has always stuck in my mind because I never saw it anywhere else, and it's so different to the other ghosty photos that get published. I Googled it 5 minutes ago and apparently a bigger version was in a book once, and it's possibly an optical illusion and there is space forĀ a child behind him. Possibly an optical illusion.

The king, and still one of the best photos ever is this beauty:

dcu8vm.jpg

Check that backstory, that's fantastic.Ā The "perfectly preserved" heart of a knight, wrapped only in cloth, and now on display in the church. Has anyone ever actually visited the church and seen this heart?

The first ghost stories I read were in the Tiswas Book of Ghastly Ghosts, which found its way into our family in the summer of 1982. Despite the Tiswas logo on the cover, there was nothing to do with them inside, and instead there were about a dozen ghost stories that were just the right amount of scary for a 6 year old. They were all supposedly true, and (because it was on pretty low grade novel paper that wouldn't support photos) had a suitably scary drawing above the title of each story. There was The Woman In White, depicted as a dishevelled but reasonably young woman with her throat cut, The Skeletons That Ride, a take on a local Norfolk legend and a couple from 50 Berkley Square andĀ Glamis Castle, including the infamous "monster" of the Lyon-Bowes family.
Ā 

And speaking of scary, I'll not deny that this picture scared the shit out of me the first time I saw it.

best_hooded_lg.jpg

It's almost certainly a double exposure, but back when I was too young to know what one of those was, anything transparent in a photo was either made of glass or was a ghost.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Digging this up - apologies if this was discussed at the time - but over the weekend I watched The Bigfoot Files on Netflix, think it was a Channel 4 documentary originally, from 2016.

It's three episodes - one of the Yeti in the Himalayas, one on Bigfoot in North America, and one on the Almasty/Wildman in Russia, interviewing people who have had "encounters", and taking hair samples to run DNA tests on.

The hair samples for the Almasty and Bigfoot all come back as other animals - bear, horse (?!), raccoon, porcupine, whatever, though they cobble together some bullshit that very very vaguely might support the hypothesis that the Almasty is an extant population of early hominids/Neanderthals, which is almost certainly nonsense. The Yeti one is interesting, as they match the DNA to a prehistoric Polar Bear, not a modern one, so suggest that it may be a species of bear dating back to around the time the brown bear and polar bear split into divergent species. Apparently that's been disputed since, though.

Ā 

Where do our resident cryptozoologists stand on this sort of thing?

Personally, I don't have any time for Bigfoot. Part of is my rational brain thinking that the chances of there being a large primate or hominid on a continent with no great apes in the archaeological record (and little to no record of Neanderthal populations), and them never leaving any viable hair samples or signs of predation (or, if they're herbivorous, of any real activity at all), and that not a single body has ever been found, let alone shot by hunters, are pretty slim indeed. But largely, I think it's just that - like alien abductions/UFO sightings - I'm not that interested in it because the people who are mostly get right on my tits.

Yeti, on the other hand, are great. There's a bit more of a sense of adventure and romanticism and mystery to them - you need to be a proper old-fashioned explorer to go off looking for Yeti, not just some redneck with a truckload of guns and too much time on your hands. You need an expedition. And it just feels more plausible that there would be something undiscovered, even if it is "just" a type of bear we're not familiar with, somewhere like the Himalayas than in some North American forest. Same with the Almasty; I don't believe it's a Wildman, or any of the stories surrounding it, but if there's going to be something weird out there that we haven't found yet, of course it's going to be in the wilds of Siberia, right?

• 5 weeks later...