The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

Stalling hands on a clock are the result of bad batteries or not being able to accurately measure a second in your head.

Do you not have that (what I assume is a) trick of the mind where the first movement of the second hand seems to take a lot longer than every subsequent one?

I definitely have that. It's rare for me not to look at a clock and have that, or the second hand appearing to go backwards, happen every time.

Stalling hands on a clock are the result of bad batteries or not being able to accurately measure a second in your head.

Do you not have that (what I assume is a) trick of the mind where the first movement of the second hand seems to take a lot longer than every subsequent one?

Yeah I think thats quite common, happens to me a lot of time, always just assumed it was just some trick of the mind

• Paid Members

So, yeah. It's a trick of the mind.

I suppose for a creative / observer type like Astro, his brain is going to go into overdrive at the new stimulus and really drag that first second out.

For Michael Owen, it would be barely perceptible. Assuming he even looks at watches.

Interesting article on BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29669205

An unmanned US plane on a top-secret, two-year mission to space has returned to Earth and landed in California.

It's an interesting time for space travel, post-Shuttle.  You've got the US Airforce doing this, plus whatever else they've been up to a Groomridge.  And NASA are getting involved in this programme as well, which is good as they've not even got a spacecraft programme right now!

You can't help but feel that we've slipped slowly backwards in space exploration over the last decade or two, but if the NASA Mars mission is really green lit that should be exciting!

• Paid Members

Not sure this is quite the right thread for this but on the subject of podcasts has anybody been listening to 'Serial' from This American Life. A journalist has done a lot of investigation into the murder of a school girl from 1999 in Maryland. The ex-boyfriend was convicted but basically on the evidence of one person. There's only been 2 episodes so far but the journalist looks into the nature of their relationship, the evidence, a possible alibi, deficiencies in the defence case and so on. A lot of the the prosecution's case doesn't really add up but that's certainly not to say that he didn't actually do it.

Yes! A brilliant podcast so far. I keep going back and forth over whether he did it.

Episode 3 went up today (too early?) and features a fantastic Astro-baiting character in the form of Mr. S. He's got Beach Diaries cameo written all over him.

I listened to episode 1 this morning on the way in to work and didn't want to get out of my car and go into the office, I was engrossed.

Me and a mate are both going to listen to it one episode at a time and discuss it - seemed like quite a fun thing to do.

Is anyone else listening to this? I am also engrossed, to the point where I dont want to google anything about it in case I see a "spoiler", but I am absolutely desperate to find out more. Thursday cannot come quick enough.

I keep thinking that Adnan didn't do it, but every episode seems to have a big twist so who knows what she finds out next. Jay's story sounds very dodgy to me.

Its such a cool idea for a podcast as well. Are there any similar podcasts?

I am currently listening to the Mysterious Universe podcast which is good. Very interesting talk about near death experiences on the episode I have.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Not sure this is quite the right thread for this but on the subject of podcasts has anybody been listening to 'Serial' from This American Life.

Is anyone else listening to this? I am also engrossed, to the point where I dont want to google anything about it in case I see a "spoiler", but I am absolutely desperate to find out more. Thursday cannot come quick enough.

So apparently this now has a huge following. Newsnight did a piece on it (no spoilers)

"The Truth Movement" - what a phrase!  That's proper Communist doublethink stuff.

This guy is great - very lucid, good orator.  Reminds me of Bob Dean.  Is there any evidence that backs up any of his claims - did he even work for the US gov?

Hooking into Tesla is a good way of getting me to listen.  Love that guy!