The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

Well, sound is just waves of pressure moving through air (or other medium), and the more we learn about the universe the more complicated waves are found to be.

A very early form of computer memory was actually sound waves propagated through mercury - the wave bounced back and forth and therefore that byte of information was retained.

And we know that sound echo and reverberation can go on for a long time and be amplified by certain environmental conditions.

Soo.... by a long stretch...  there may be ways in which sound can be trapped and released at a later time?

---

My theory for the radio thing, which is probably complete bollocks, is that after the power goes "off" enough of it remains in the unit to continue to translate the radio waves into vibrations of the speakers for a bit longer.  Or that my ears are somehow picking up the actual radio waves and decoding them?

• Moderators

Well, sound is just waves of pressure moving through air (or other medium), and the more we learn about the universe the more complicated waves are found to be.

A very early form of computer memory was actually sound waves propagated through mercury - the wave bounced back and forth and therefore that byte of information was retained.

And we know that sound echo and reverberation can go on for a long time and be amplified by certain environmental conditions.

Soo.... by a long stretch...  there may be ways in which sound can be trapped and released at a later time?

See, we've almost got a proper theory now. I'm aware it's quite wacky, but so many ghost stories could be explained if there was just some science shit about sound we didn't know yet. There's already the stuff about infrasound inducing anxiety, and the theory that that's what gives locations that feeling that there's a ghost in there with you.

My one real Fortean story kinda relates to sound too, probably. A few years ago, I happened to look out of the window. It was night time, but the street lights were on. In the middle of the road, there were three cats and a fox, sat together in a circle, with another cat watching from a nearby wall about a foot away. As I watched them, I saw another cat, making his way towards them from down the street. It was basically every cat in the neighbourhood, plus one of the foxes that lives in the lane behind the street.

They were all facing inwards, looking at each other quite calmly. As if one of them said "Alright lads, meeting's over," they all calmly broke off and went their separate ways. About fifteen minutes later, I heard a strange, deep clattering noise. It turned out to be that earthquake we had, which was felt as far south as Portsmouth, 30 miles away, but close enough to rattle the roads. I guess the animals all heard/felt it before it happened, and decided to have some kind of meeting about it.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Ace!  Sound AND a Parliament of Fowls in one story!

Also, ooh, check out this story Astro:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/vampire-grave-bulgaria_n_5973064.html

Bzq8rIKCMAIV6vB.jpg

VAMPIRES!

Also, fucking hell, I should go to bed, damn you Woy.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

My theory for the radio thing, which is probably complete bollocks, is that after the power goes "off" enough of it remains in the unit to continue to translate the radio waves into vibrations of the speakers for a bit longer.  Or that my ears are somehow picking up the actual radio waves and decoding them?

Capacitors will hold charge after you power down, and could theoretically leak enough to keep the unit running for a few seconds. The "burst" of energy of you powering it up and off again would discharge them.

That's assuming the unit is actually producing sound and it's not in your head. Does this only happen with one particular radio?

No, it's happened with various radios and stereos (showing my age there) over the years.  It may well be in my head, but I can really HEAR it, down to being able to identify the song or hear an actual voice.

I've actually pissed off Mrs Loki more than once by leaning over here to try and turn her alarm radio off, thinking she'd left it on Sleep.

• Paid Members

More plausible that a mouse got into the piano when there was nobody in the room.

Except, like I said, the room the piano was in was silent. Irritatingly, as fascinating as this moment was, they brushed over it in about 0.5 seconds because it wasn't a fucking orb or something.

With Most Haunted being what it was, I would have probably written that off as a sound that was added in post. However, why do that and then dismiss it?

It's not a million miles from a theory I read in pre-internet days about iron particles in the ground or in buildings being able to hold information like some naturally occurring magnetic tape. Ghosts - particularly those that perform a set routine and don't interact with bystanders - would simply be a replaying of an event that had inadvertently been recorded to this supernatural videotape. Disembodied voices would be sounds captured where there's only enough iron to record audio.

• Paid Members

How come we can sometimes tell when the phone is about to start ringing? Can we subconsciously feel the waves?

Ive always wondered this. Similarly, I wake up two minutes before my alarm goes off all the time. Doesnt matter if that's 6 o clock or 10 o clock. Lots of other people have said the same thing happens to them too.

• Paid Members

How come we can sometimes tell when the phone is about to start ringing? Can we subconsciously feel the waves?

Ive always wondered this. Similarly, I wake up two minutes before my alarm goes off all the time. Doesnt matter if that's 6 o clock or 10 o clock. Lots of other people have said the same thing happens to them too.

That one is easy, it's because you subconsciously know what time your alarm is going to go off when you go to sleep. More so if it's a recurring alarm like one to get up for work.

I'm not sure that I buy the idea of sound being trapped. Like you said, sound is nothing but pressure waves, which are well understood. Even in a 'trapped' state the sound would still be travelling, even if it's just bouncing back and forth in a small space. Every bounce would lead to a loss of the wave's energy meaning the sound would rapidly diminish.

There are certain environmental circumstances that I think might lead to the sort of phenomenon we're talking about though. If the source of the sound was very narrow and it shot the sound in a straight line, towards a far-away obstacle, which reflected it directly back to the source. Depending on the distance of the obstacle, there could be quite a hefty delay between the original sound and its echo.

Edited by King Coconut