The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Awards Moderator

A big thanks for the "Serial" recommendation. I'd never heard of it before, but listening to the first episode just now, my hour at the gym absolutely flew by. Super gripping stuff.

The piano riff goes through my head all the time. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

• Paid Members

I'd also recommend 'Thinking Sideways'. Neat little podcast every Thursday where these three people from Portland, Oregon discuss a mystery.

http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/

They discuss all sorts, each episode is dedicated to one case. They've covered Jack the Ripper, The Gateway to Hell, Maura Murray, Gary McKinnon, The Jefferson Davis 8, Taman Shud, The Monster with 21 Faces, The Bloop, UVB76, Kasper Hauser, The Spanish Flu and The Nazi Bell just to name a few. They go into all the stories with a pretty open mind. Even if they know the case is total bunk, they entertain the stories regardless. Worth a listen.

Enjoyed that article, thanks.  Some of the theories seem a little far fetched, particularly anything that implicates Stephanie.  But, it's certainly curious that the call logs don't have any calls to her on the day of her birthday, given how many other people seem to get called.  

• Paid Members

"The Truth Movement" - what a phrase!  That's proper Communist doublethink stuff.

This guy is great - very lucid, good orator.  Reminds me of Bob Dean.  Is there any evidence that backs up any of his claims - did he even work for the US gov?

Hooking into Tesla is a good way of getting me to listen.  Love that guy!

There is some, the photo of him at gettysburg, someone whom he claims he was introduced to by government officals when he was 20 and she was 10 confirms meeting him. 

There is a longer video, its 6 hours and im about half way though. 

I had the great pleasure of sitting at a table listening and watching randi, such an amazing man

Houdini was at the beginning of a movement of magicians exposing frauds but randi took it to another level. Theres still a cash prize availalble for any genuine psychic to prove themselves under test conditions.

• Moderators

Geller's smarmy bit about how he can't be exposed, because people will believe anyway, was the closest thing to an admission he's full of shit. Although he's so mentally ill, he truly believes he has powers. I bring this up every time Geller gets mentioned, but C4 followed him round for a 'week in the life of' doc about 15 years ago, and he drove his family insane with his constant need to attribute everything that happened to his powers. At one point, while on holiday, he stopped a stranger to (repeatedly; it took him a lot of goes) guess the age of their dog. This was around the time he started taking credit for England's penalty shoot-out wins, claiming he'd made the opposition team's ball move just as they went to kick it, either from his house, and then, from a helicopter above the ground. He appears to have severe OCD, which manifests in this obsession he's affecting the world with his Jedi powers. At one point, he was spending about 8 hours a day, every day, on an exercise bike.

His greatest trick was convincing Youtube he owns the copyright to the Gotcha footage that accidentally caught him physically bending a spoon under a table.

But yeah, great doc. Gave my book a nice bump in sales too, as there's a fair bit about one of Randi's busts in there. James Hydrick was visible in the beginning briefly, as the guy in kung fu gear.

I'd kill to see a heist movie about Randi's bust of Peter Popoff, Man on a Wire style.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

After reading that I now kind of pity Geller.

Was James Hydrick the ex con who timed his "meditation" with passing trains to fool people into thinking that he was making the building shale?

Yep. Although the full story is a million times more--ARGH SOMEONE HOLD ME BACK BEFORE I DO ANOTHER SHILL