The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
Reminded me a little of the Luke Mitchell case in Scotland and i can't wait for episode three.

Luke Mitchell's case is a strange one. Everybody up here wants him to hang, but there is literally hardly any evidence linking him to the murder of the girl. Hardly anything at all. His DNA wasn't even on the knife. It's such a strange one. He probably is guilty, but there is really nothing there. His nutter mother is making him look guilty though.

If he was first tried with it right now, he'd get away with it, IMO. Bloody horrific murder.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I attended a talk on the Enfield Poltergeist given by Guy Lyon-Playfair yesterday evening at a pub in King's Cross. Playfair was one of two members of the Society for Psychical Research (with Maurice Grosse) who spent 14 months in almost daily contact with the Hodgson family of Green Street, Enfield in 1977/78. During this time the Hodgson's home was purportedly subject to all of the phenomena typically associated with poltergeists - furniture moved by unseen forces, levitating children, possession - and the case is often called Britain's best documented example. We've talked about it before in this thread so I won't dwell on the details, but read through the Wikipedia pages linked above for background.

The talk was a rare study in credulity, interesting to anyone interested in Fortean stuff from a sceptical perspective. Among the evidence presented by Playfair were some audio recordings of Janet - the youngest of the four Hodgson children - speaking in a low, masculine-sounding voice; apparently channeling the spirit of a former occupant of the house who had died some years earlier named Bill Wilkins.

Janet/Bill claimed to have died of 'a hemorrhage'. That Janet later claimed not to have known what a hemorrhage was, or even to have heard of the word, was advanced by Playfair as proof that she had genuinely channeled a disembodied spirit. Other investigators have concluded that Playfair and Grosse were fooled by pranks played on them by the Hodgson children and that conclusion seemed pretty inescapable here. When asked directly Playfair said that some of the activity certainly was perpetrated by the girls - "they never denied it" - but maintained that much of it was genuine.

Some of the more interesting moments were when Playfair spoke, with some spite, of the "sanctimonious sceptics" who had refused to accept his evidence over the years, much of which consists of comparisons of 'genuine' poltergeist noises captured on tape with his attempts to recreate them by banging a broom against a wall, tapping forks against wine glasses, and bursting balloons filled with watercress. Even when told by it's chief proponent to a sympathetic audience, the Enfield story seldom sounded persuasive.

Edited by Pinc

• Moderators

Astro, give Thinking Sideways a gander. A weekly highlight of mine.

Looks interesting, I'll check it out, cheers.

I attended a talk on the Enfield Poltergeist given by Guy Lyon-Playfair yesterday evening at a pub in King's Cross. Playfair was one of two members of the Society for Psychical Research (with Maurice Grosse) who spent 14 months in almost daily contact with the Hodgson family of Green Street, Enfield in 1977/78. During this time the Hodgson's home was purportedly subject to all of the phenomena typically associated with poltergeists - furniture moved by unseen forces, levitating children, possession - and the case is often called Britain's best documented example. We've talked about it before in this thread so I won't dwell on the details, but read through the Wikipedia pages linked above for background.

The talk was a rare study in credulity, interesting to anyone interested in Fortean stuff from a sceptical perspective. Among the evidence presented by Playfair were some audio recordings of Janet - the youngest of the four Hodgson children - speaking in a low, masculine-sounding voice; apparently channeling the spirit of a former occupant of the house who had died some years earlier named Bill Wilkins.

Janet/Bill claimed to have died of 'a hemorrhage'. That Janet later claimed not to have known what a hemorrhage was, or even to have heard of the word, was advanced by Playfair as proof that she had genuinely channeled a disembodied spirit. Other investigators have concluded that Playfair and Grosse were fooled by pranks played on them by the Hodgson children and that conclusion seemed pretty inescapable here. When asked directly Fairplay said that some of the activity certainly was perpetrated by the girls - "they never denied it" - but maintained that much of it was genuine.

Some of the more interesting moments were when Playfair spoke, with some spite, of the "sanctimonious sceptics" who had refused to accept his evidence over the years, much of which consists of comparisons of 'genuine' poltergeist noises captured on tape with his attempts to recreate them by banging a broom against a wall, tapping forks against wine glasses, and bursting balloons filled with watercress. Even when told by it's chief proponent to a sympathetic audience, the Enfield story seldom sounded persuasive.

Ooh, awesome. Playfair always comes across as very angry, and incredulous that people can't seem to grasp what a rock-solid case Enfield presents. I'm sure it's only continued to build up in his mind over the last four decades, and with Grosse gone, he probably feels he has to be the flagbearer, but as I've written about before, it doesn't hold up at all under modern eyes. Regardless of its reality, nobody seemed to come out of it intact. Playfair seethes on every appearance, and the now-adult Janet seems very haunted by the events; the supposed ghostly stuff, the crazy press attention; and an old ghostbuster living in their house, giving the pressure of stuff needing to happen.

Astro, give Thinking Sideways a gander. A weekly highlight of mine.

Looks interesting, I'll check it out, cheers.

Janet/Bill claimed to have died of 'a hemorrhage'. That Janet later claimed not to have known what a hemorrhage was, or even to have heard of the word, was advanced by Playfair as proof that she had genuinely channeled a disembodied spirit. Other investigators have concluded that Playfair and Grosse were fooled by pranks played on them by the Hodgson children and that conclusion seemed pretty inescapable here. When asked directly Fairplay said that some of the activity certainly was perpetrated by the girls - "they never denied it" - but maintained that much of it was genuine.

Ooh, awesome. Playfair always comes across as very angry, and incredulous that people can't seem to grasp what a rock-solid case Enfield presents. I'm sure it's only continued to build up in his mind over the last four decades, and with Grosse gone, he probably feels he has to be the flagbearer, but as I've written about before, it doesn't hold up at all under modern eyes. Regardless of its reality, nobody seemed to come out of it intact. Playfair seethes on every appearance, and the now-adult Janet seems very haunted by the events; the supposed ghostly stuff, the crazy press attention; and an old ghostbuster living in their house, giving the pressure of stuff needing to happen.

Yes Playfair mentioned that Janet seems to have been haunted by the experience into adulthood; further proof to him that at least some of the poltergeist activity was genuine. The whole business began to sound pretty fucking insidious as you contemplated what these mad old fruits got up to as they turned a family home into a parapsychology lab over the course of more than a year.

At one point Playfair told how a doctor administered the 12 year-old Janet with "enough valium to knock out a horse" in an attempt to calm her during one of Bill's visitations. I also googled around the case afterwards and there are some uncomfortable images knocking about of Maurice Grosse holding Janet down during her fits. This is the worst one I found, but there are a few more:

2341032.jpg?244

9/11 all over Back To The Future Movies.

That really is the most ridiculous clutching at straws I've ever seen. Ever. The person who created the video genuinely believes what he's saying too.

I swear to fuck, we could choose any random film, song, book or painting from history and create a 'code' that predicts anything we choose and these fucknuggets would genuinely consider it fact.

I don't agree to disagree, I agree to mock you and laugh at you.

If you bothered to look back through this thread, you'd see there's some cracking discussions over the paranormal, conspiracies and the like.  I think a lot of us "want to believe" in X Files parlance, but as adults with a functioning IQ we require more in the way of proof or argument than "want a swift kick in the knackers".

9/11

9/11

9/11!

:D

Great spoof.!

I loved watching that video and am certain it was a spoof also. Just too perfect of a monotone voice, going all out for ridiculous theories. Seems too much like a parody. Bloody well loved it either way.

Are there anymore videos like that? Basically whats the most ridiculous theory video out there which the maker believes is real? Sadly this seems like a rabbit hole which could be endless.

Just to add my love to this thread and they way everyone interacts with eachother. Loki is right in that it seems everyone wants to believe, but their stupid logic and brains keep getting in the way.

Oh and SpacedNSpangled doesn't seem to believe any of this, ive read the workings of Duane and Keelan on here, their hearts are in it, this guy doesnt care and is just having fun.. I'd rather have a proper loon than this.

(One sad thing about me on here? Every so often when i want to laugh and just enjoy a read, i will read the Hollie Greig thread.. The story it tells is wonderful for anyone who hasn't read it in a while. Takes so many twists and turns, ultimately ending in the greatest fashion a thread could possibly end. If you have 30mins, go check it out.. Dont skim it, its worth it.)