The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Holy shit, that is going to be fucking wonderful.

If you never did catch Ghosthunting With Happy Mondays, then do anything you can to find it. It is legitimately one of the funniest things I have ever watched.

• Moderators

My Ghostwatch piece got headhunted. http://www.sabotagetimes.com/tv/rememberin...-tv-at-its-best

The erroneous apostrophe in the title isn't my doing though.

Yeti's another thing that I'd totally buy, even if its very name is synonymous with 'crazy shit wackos believe'. Sorry for the Daily Mail link, but the best Yeti story is how Jimmy Stewart once smuggled a Yeti finger through customs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...es-Stewart.html

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

Anyone else watch C4's Yeti program just then? It was all going alright, up until the point they did the "time to pick our scientific explanation" bit, which they then fit into all of their pre-picked bits of evidence, but they really had to use a massive shoehorn. When the BBC did their big Loch Ness thing ten years ago, they spent 50 minutes talking about how Nessie was definitely a dinosaur, and the last ten that dinosaurs couldn't still exist, so there was no Nessie. For this C4 thing, they randomly pulled the idea that the Yeti's a brown bear, and quickly run through why everything points to that, at one point, by replicating the famous Yeti footprint picture. Except, no matter how much they said their footprint was identical, it was nothing like it.

yeti31.jpg

The famous Yeti picture is like #2 or 3 there, like a monkey's foot, but by having a bear step onto his own footprint twice, it was clearly just a bear's footprint, with no visual similarities. When they overlaid it, talking about how it was identical, it honestly seemed like a joke. Then the DNA samples they'd taken turned out to be from a species of polar bear that's been extinct for 40,000 years, which is super cool and puzzling, but that didn't fit with what they wanted either, so they pull out a random theory of crossbreeding to take us back to the brown bear idea they were set on. Was a prehistoric polar bear too weird to hang their hats on? It was all a nutty version of this.

TEDUV2s.jpg

Yeti DNA sampling is never going to work when you're taking it from museum exhibits, or bits of carcass rumoured to be stolen from Tibetan monasteries, because they're all hoaxes stitched together from other animals with awful taxidermy. "DNA of a goat! Yeti doesn't exist!" One of the things they took a sample from had a clay jaw and appeared to be made from the fur from a paedophile's parka.

They literally ignored the DNA evidence because they couldn't explain it. Brilliant. Fort's Damned Data in action.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

What I got from it was that the Yeti is probably a bear that's descended from a polar bear. Seemed fairly cut and dried to me. But I see what you're saying, they seem to have shot a lot of stuff to back up a finding that it was a brown bear, only to have to re-edit later when it turned out not be.

The geneticist bit was interesting, and almost completely separate from the usual presenter-on-a-journey flying round the world bullshit. I suspect the next two will follow the same format, padding out the genetics with guff.

• Paid Members
Before I go into detail on what happened to me, what are the general opinions on time slipping?

What happened to you David?

Last night I remembered a strange occurrence that happened to a friend of mine. Around 2001/02 some mates lived together. One night we were in Steve's room watching a dvd. Steve was lying on his bed & another mate Winston & I were sitting on a sofa he had in there. Win looked at Steve & asked him what was on his head? Seemingly out of nowhere 3 bold vertical lines, about 1cm wide had appeared on his forehead. They were purple-ish in colour, like bruises & about 2cm apart from each other, they lasted for about 2 days then went. He said they didn't hurt & have never come back (to the best of my knowledge). I've not seen him in a while but messaged him on facebook this morning to see if he's still got the pics.

We searched online & could find a similar case in Holland/Denmark (can't remember the exact details) but the findings were far from conclusive. I'm sure there's a medical explanation but at the time it was very odd.