The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

Okay, 911 talk is officially banned in this (and any other) thread.

It's incredibly boring, and if you're demanding answers of "EXPLAIN THIS, THEN!" about things you think are unanswered, read through all 175 pages to find an old reply about it, as we've been over everything 911-related a million times here already.

A man whose life was saved by a poo, and someone madly running to give their dad a joss-stick holder, so they can destroy it because it's evil, are exactly what this thread should be about.

Missing time is a fascinating thing. Generally, you can put it down to just being confused about the time. The brain can easily be convinced that things are one way when they're actually another; say, if someone just had the wrong time in mind from the start, and it was actually an hour later. Like when you spend the whole day with the Thursday feeling, then find out in the evening that it was Wednesday all along, and the odd cognitive dissonance that goes with it. Not that I'm saying that's what happened, but the missing time stories that involve multiple people, usually in a car, who find they've lost an hour or two, is really interesting, especially when you don't believe in aliums.

Go on then, what were they?

I also lost an hour of my day once. I can prove what time it was at 2 separate points in the morning between 8:00 and 11:00 but during that period I walked to school and arrived an hour later than I should have. Not quite as exciting as the door-ghost but hey-ho.

That's quite common in people who have suffered a concussion.

Is not remembering whether you'd suffered a concussion or not also quite common amongst them?

the wrong time in mind from the start,

This is basically what I've decided happened to me. I have two time-confirmation points in my story but the older I get the more I think that my memory being a bit unreliable is probably more likely than me jumping forward in time, which is unfortunate.

Edited by King Coconut

• Moderators

Okay, 911 talk is officially banned in this (and any other) thread.

It's incredibly boring, and if you're demanding answers of "EXPLAIN THIS, THEN!" about things you think are unanswered, read through all 175 pages to find an old reply about it, as we've been over everything 911-related a million times here already.

TRYING TO COVER UP THE TRUTH

I have a couple of strange things that I've experienced, not paranormal but that freaked me out a bit.  Both related, to do with listening to music late at night.

The first one happened when I was a kid, I was listening to a jazz tune on a compilation tape I had, that near the end had a kind of a false ending, and then the band leader says "One more time..." and they play the chorus again, then the guy said "one more once..." and they played it again.  And then he said it again, and they started in on the chorus.  I turned around in bed and hit the fast forward button to get to the end of the track, but even after I spooled it way forward it was still playing the ending.  So I turned it off and went to sleep.

A few days later I played the tape again and was freaked out to discover that the song finished after the first repeat.

---

The other thing that happens to me on the odd occasion is that, after I turn the music or radio off at night, I can still hear it playing.  I mean super, super quietly through the speakers.  I've got exceptionally sensitive hearing, but I know that it's not actually possible for the speakers to still be transmitting sound.  Nevertheless it's happened often enough to be quite annoying.  I tend to turn the radio back on and then off again and that usually clears it.

• Moderators

when I was a kid, I was listening to a jazz tune on a compilation tape I had

That's our Loki!

This fits in a weird, unnamed sub-genre of sound-based experiences that's always interested me, particularly with how it might connect with ghost sightings. I've read quite a few stories about, for example, people whose wife or mum always yells "Bye, love!" every day as they go out of the door for work, like a routine, and then one day they hear it clearly at the exact same time even though that person's not in, and it's not a work day. It's not a ghost, more something related to sound and memory.

We were talking about Most Haunted in the TV thread before, and the most interesting thing I think they ever caught relates to this. They'd established there was a piano downstairs at the house they were filming in, with the parapsychologist even taking a moment to quote Ghostbusters and tickle at the top keys -- "They hate this..." Later, when they went upstairs, you could very clearly and briefly hear the sound of a piano, except the piano had a locked-off camera pointed right at it, and when they checked the film, not only was the piano not moving, but you couldn't even hear the sound that the mics had picked up upstairs. It was completely silent around the piano. I've always been really interested in this aspect of ghost sightings, and have a loose theory that it may simply be something we don't yet understand about sound. Maybe it lingers somehow, but only from certain positions? The Stone Tape theory relies on the same thing.

Loki, sound's your background. Any theories?