General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
I find even bad Willis films are kind of watchable - Hart's War, Tears Of The Sun, Surrogates, that sort of thing. I really do like Bruce, if I'm honest.

Striking Distance is another entertaining crap Willis film.

Pacino's best work in the last ten or so years has been on TV, a lot of it in HBO films/mini series. He was great in Angles in America and You Don't Know Jack. Haven't seen Spector, mind.

Watched Specter last week. Prefered it to You Don't Know Jack but it wasn't fantastic and doubt I'll ever watch it again. After a while it came down to guessing what mental wig he'd be wearing in the next scene. And its more focused on Helen Mirren's charter anyway

• Paid Members

Am going to The Electric in Portobello Road tomorrow, should be really interesting watching a film in that environment. Me and the missus decided on a date a few weeks ago, so we could sort out babysitters etc. At the time it was too early for them to reveal what film you can see (they only screen one main film per week), so I was hoping it would be Only God Forgives, or Alan Partridge or to be honest even The Lone Ranger.

But no, it's this:

the-heat-movie.jpg

Fuck sake.

• Paid Members

This month's Sight & Sound is well worth buying for its feature about great film directors that have done stuff on TV alone. It's a fantastic piece that I think most people here would be interested in and it covers Hitchcock's TV work in good detail especially. Fantastic stuff, the type of thing that Empire used to do really well.

A very weird transfer of Michael Mann's 'The Keep' (Complete with Original Tangerine Dream synth soundtrack) is on Film4 at the min. Well worth seeing if you've never watched it as its never been released on DVD

T'was great. Mad as a box of mad hatted kittens and cut to shreds so that it didn't make even a darn tootinest of a clue, and even Gandulf was shocking in it, but it was great. Very atmospheric.

• Paid Members

It's crazy shit but its up there with Highlander, Scarface and Manhunter as a great example of 80s stylistic cinema and there's a great film in there somewhere. There's been rumours for years of the original 3 hour cut floating around that is actually quite coherent. All the tension it really manges to build is let down by the very shitty creature reveal.

• Paid Members

Can totally see why he's disowned it. It's one of the best (worst) examples of a studio re-edit I can think of. Saying that I think it has some truly fantastic bits in it, actually managed to crank up the tension and its pure Michael Mann in style over content. It's a genuine oddity.