General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

I'm just parrotting what everyone else is saying but both trailers have been very promising so far. The crashed Star Destroyer is an incredible visual. And was that Vader's fucking helmet, aye? Can't wait for the film.

also the crashed x-wing in the foreground which I missed the first 9 times being drawn to the Star Destroyer

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

Watched Mr. India — went into it with no expectations, came out with massive love for everyone involved, and half in love with Sridevi. I've never expected so little, and got so much out of a film.

Also watched the Babadook — was quite Australian in style, very kitchen-sink domestic, but fucking terrifying in parts. Could tell that it got made outside of the studio system.

Also watched the Babadook — was quite Australian in style, very kitchen-sink domestic, but fucking terrifying in parts. Could tell that it got made outside of the studio system.

We watched The Babadook on US Netflix the other night. My wife was terrified in places. Thought it was really enjoyable, much better than any recent US output.

We went to see Child 44 last night. Once you get past that everyone is speaking English with very stereotypical 'mother Russia' accents (except for Charles Dance who didn't even attempt it) it was good once it got going, but even then you could have probably cut about 20 minutes off of it.

• Moderators

Watched Mr. India — went into it with no expectations, came out with massive love for everyone involved, and half in love with Sridevi. I've never expected so little, and got so much out of a film.

As in the film from the 80s with Anil Kapoor? I loved that as a kid. I liked all his films, really.. Amrish Puri was always the baddie as well. He's amazing.. definitely a big part of why Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy film.

A new Star Wars movie will tell the story of a mission by a group of resistance fighters to steal plans to the infamous Death Star.

The plot of Rogue One was revealed to fans at the Star Wars Celebration convention in California on Saturday.

It will be the first in a series of on-screen adventures exploring stories outside the core Star Wars saga.

The movie will be set before the first part of the original series, Episode IV: A New Hope.

It was released in 1977 and began with the Empire's pursuit of a ship carrying Princess Leia and blueprints to the lethal space station.

A specially created trailer was also shown at the convention, featuring a TIE fighter soaring over a planet where the Death Star can be seen in the clouds.

The film's British director Gareth Edwards said that because the Jedi Knights were all but wiped out in the preceding film Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, his story would be different from the other Star Wars movies.

He said it would not focus on people who were able to use the mysterious "force".

"It comes down to a group of individuals that don't have magical powers that have to somehow bring hope to the galaxy," he said.

Edwards, a lifelong Star Wars fan, also noted that in the previous movies, characters were clearly defined as good or bad. He said he wanted Rogue One to be more complex.

"The thing that interests me about it, is Star Wars was basically very black and white. Our movie is grey."

Rogue One will star British Oscar nominee Felicity Jones, as a rebel soldier.

The movie starts filming in the UK this summer and is due to be released in December 2016, a year after Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

• Paid Members

As in the film from the 80s with Anil Kapoor? I loved that as a kid. I liked all his films, really.. Amrish Puri was always the baddie as well. He's amazing.. definitely a big part of why Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy film.

Yeah, that film — Amrish Puri is a fantastic villain (I think Spielberg though he was the best villainous actor out there), Anil Kapoor is super likable as the hero, Sridevi is fantastic (and gorgeous), and the whole package is amazing. 

tumblr_nn0fr6QPJk1qf9csoo1_1280.png

Edited by Bill Diarrhea

• Paid Members

Nobody has mastered being a villain as well as Amrish Puri did. I don't really watch Bollywood films these days, but back in the day there was never a better hero/villain combination than Bachchan and Puri. Both always brought out the best in each other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...