General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

I watch them every few years with absolute pleasure, Dumb and Dumber is the clear winner.

Considering you probably watch RAW and Smackdown every week, I find your criticisms of my taste extra insulting!

I think you're alright watching shit like wrestling or shit like Dumb and Dumber, but not both.

Ace Ventura and The Mask are practically unwatchable, they're so dated and bad.

Dumb and Dumber though, is what it is - it IS funny, even though it's the basest humour. There'll always be a place for gross-out type films.

• Paid Members
I watch them every few years with absolute pleasure, Dumb and Dumber is the clear winner.

Considering you probably watch RAW and Smackdown every week, I find your criticisms of my taste extra insulting!

I think you're alright watching shit like wrestling or shit like Dumb and Dumber, but not both.

Shit should be turned off. Which is why I can only manage the odd ppv or hyped up good segment on RAW these days. But I can always watch Dumb and Dumber every year! (Cause its well good!)

I think you're also the guy that reduces Wes Anderson's filmography to "lol quirky" arnt you Pity? I dont think we're ever going to have a film night together.

Dumb and Dumber though, is what it is - it IS funny, even though it's the basest humour. There'll always be a place for gross-out type films.

Some parts off the film are really stupid like them literally squirting ketchup in their own mouths and gurning, but the majority of the film is peppered with great jokes. Its a great script, you'd laugh reading it.

Its like when people fob off Bottom as just swearing and hitting each other. Its not, theres cracking comedy behind the first impression.

• Moderators

I rewatched Dumb and Dumber again recently, and it really does hold up, in a way that Ace Ventura doesn't. Maybe it's because Ace Ventura and The Mask were specifically built around the wacky antics of Jim Carrey, like the producers just wound him up and let him go, whereas in Dumb and Dumber (and Kingpin, also great), while there are a lot of "people reacting to the two insane guys" bits, they're just part of an entire world that's crazy too. The worlds of those two films just feel fuller.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
Thats awesome Astro thanks! Downloading now.

Definitely his heyday films were all atrocious.

Get killed! :angry:

He'll never repeat the greatness of 1994. Ace Ventura, The Mask and ending the year with the masterpiece that is Dumb and Dumber! Aah...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or haven't watched any of them since you were about ten.

There's probably more decent films than crap films such as Eternal Sunshine, Bruce Almighty and of course the Cable Guy. Would being in Anchorman 2 make it all better?

Edited by niff

• Paid Members

A series of unfortunate events is one of my favourite kids' movies that's come out since I've been an adult, Jim Carrey's great in it and on the DVD extras it has him doing character tests where they put him in makeup and just let him improvise to the camera, he's great, he brings the characters to life instantly and they end up using almost everything he came up with off the top of his head in the actual movie.

Cable Guy has really grown on me, I didn't appreciate it when I was in my teens when it came out (probably because Carrey wasn't flailing about enough) but when I rewatched it a few years later I loved it and still really enjoy it.

Number 23 is shit though.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members
Yes man it's fucking turd. And o watched it on a plane, so was a forgiving and captive audience.

I will second Steve's call of that Lemony Snikett series of whatever whatever movie. That was really good.

I loved Lemony Snikett when it came out. Had never heard of the books (apparently they are quite a big deal in America?) but the look of the film and the tone is something they don't do for a lot of kids films.